About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I Cannot Believe I...

I cannot believe I forgot to blog all summer.  I had good intentions, of course, but I didn't realize I failed to blog even once.  Umm... sorry, y'all?

We are fine.  And I've really, truly appreciated the emails and comments some of y'all sent my way, checking in to make sure that Squirt was medically fine and the Tongginator still large and in charge.  Everything's been great, well, great *for us* anyways.  I think I just got out of the habit of writing and completely... forgot.

(Do y'all think I'm experiencing early-onset menopause?)

(Because I'm thinking maybe.)

To catch y'all up on our lives, I thought I'd compile a list of all of things I never thought I'd do that I've done since June.

1. I read a book to Squirt while sitting on the... you know.  Yes, I seriously did.  She was whining, and I really had to pee, and she brought me the book, so I just... well.. I read the darn thing.  It could have waited another 30 seconds, but it just seemed easier at the time to give in.

2. I signed up for TWO "mommy and Squirt" classes this fall: one music, and one music and movement, with an emphasis on movement.  My introverted, tone-deaf, non-athletic self still can't believe I did that.  But I did.  I'm hoping maybe I'll drop a pound or two before the holidays because of all that "gallop like a pony" and "hope like a frog" ridiculousness.  Only I'm using these classes as an excuse to up the chocolate intake, so maybe not.  One can wish, however.  Even if said wish is completely futile.

3. I watched the Tongginator swim the length of an Olympic-sized swimming pool with NO flotation device.  Oh, I nearly cried, y'all.  It took almost a dozen private lessons with a swim instructor who specializes in children with needs such as ADHD, autism and sensory processing disorder, but it finally happened!  The Tongginator learned to swim!  (I am so proud of her.)

4. Several weeks ago, two-year-old Squirt, in response to some (ahem) maternal correction, told me, "Squirt obey SQUIRT!"  With all of the language delays we experienced our first ten months home, I sometimes doubted I'd ever hear her say a complete sentence, much less one as sassy as all that.

5. Squirt and I were fired from early intervention services the second week of July.  Of course our therapists prefer to use the term "graduated," but what they really mean is "fired."  And I'm totally cool with that.  Squirt still has some slight gross and fine motor delays, but time and a little bit of effort on my part should resolve them within the next year or two.

6.  I attended a celiac parenting support group all! by! myself! this summer and made several new friends.  Two of the seven women I met are adoptive parents, and one is an adult adoptee.  They made me feel welcome and I don't think I embarrassed myself too badly.  Although maybe I did.  But as long as I remain clueless about it, I'm totally cool with it.

7.  Since the first week of June, I watched Squirt fight off three illnesses, without any need for antibiotics.  Which means she is finally developing an effective immune system, y'all.  Be still my heart.  Seriously.  BE STILL MY HEART, y'all.

8. I told the husband it was okay to purchase a new car.  Even though I would prefer that he not.  How in the world did my tight-fisted, financially cautious self get here?  I do not know.

9. I managed to make a half-way decent gluten-free pizza crust.  Of course my bread loaves still leave a lot to be desired, but the pizza crust (which is - ahem - flat) tasted pretty darn good.

I'd write a #10, but I can't think of anything.  Forgive me for being a bit rusty in the blogging department.  And I'd love to know how y'all are doing.  I confess I haven't read blogs either this past summer, so I need y'all to fill me in... what's up in your lives?

20 words or less.

Go.


21 comments:

Aus said...

Morning TM - knew you'd be back - we're still hanging in there - but prayers are always welcome - extended family stuff - what else and not new! Glad y'all are doing so well - and proud of you for going to the seminar - well done!

And yeah - I went beyond my 20 words or less - but you deserve it! ;)

hugs - aus and co.

Casa Bicicleta said...

20 words or less? No can do. I am speechless to see you back. Speechless. But over the moon happy to hear from you.
Thanks for the update.
:-)

Robin said...

I've missed you! I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen a blog post from you for a while. Welcome back!

Our summer: a really big move! After 22 years in NM, we moved to Virginia. We left our 18 yr old son there. We put our 13 & 10 yr old boys in school (after homeschooling for 6 yrs). And now 2/12 yr old Emily (adopted from foster care in NM) keeps saying "go home".

Beach Mama said...

I haven't written a blog post since May, no condemnation here:) I Guess now I need to write one since you have broken the silence. Good to have you back!

Carla said...

Tired. Frantic. Hopeful. Happy. Busy. Exhausted. Joyous. Overextended. Guilty. Blessed. Jubilant. Cantankerous. Exultant. Peaceful. Disgruntled. Pleasant. Elated. Merry.

;)

bbmomof2boys said...

Dang - I can't beat Carla's post!!! Glad you are back - I haven't written in over a year! T started 1st grade, speech is okay but people still can't understand her. She fractured her elbow a few weeks ago and is in a bright orange cast. School for her this year is gonna be rough...lots of hard work for her and me! Hubby and I are fine, older boys great!

Hugs,
Carla

curious_girl said...

I spent yesterday re-reading your old posts to get my Tongginator fix. Thanks for the update!

Stefanie said...

YAY for no antibiotics!! So happy for Squirt (and for you, mama!), sounds like she is doing incredibly well :)

LucisMomma said...

Love that you all are doing so well! Here, I'm still trying to figure out DD's learning quirks. Almost 8 years old (our Chinese princess) and reading VERY little, and no understanding of numbers. Oldest started college, middle kid doing some neat auto-CAD stuff for pay. DH driving me nuts being retired. :)

Mahmee said...

Sounds like a lot of progress. Congrats! Good to see you back.
We've been up to (in 20 or less)...
Foster adoption home study, first grade, water and hearing sensory processing issues 'conquered' here too, summer fun, and Fall soccer.
M.


Cedar said...

So glad to hear all is well! I haven't had much time for reading blogs, but still look forward to anything you write.

We are doing well. Trying to figure out how to get rid of several wake-ups/periods of screaming in the middle of the night and survive on little sleep...but aside from that everything is going beyond well. My 4 year old started preschool, my boys love school, and our newest daughter is nothing short of amazing.

Myrnie said...

Yay for fun, busy summers! Us. Ahem. Home School. Three kids. Garden. Toddler-trashed house, all the time. Yeah, about sums it up!

Kelly the Overthinker said...

20 words or less...

Missed your blog terribly. Surrounded by chaos, mostly happy, sometimes just noisy. Busy or, rather, living purposeful days.

All caught up from me. :)

Shari said...

Hello! 20 amazing days in China...still don't have it all blogged. Amelia started 2nd grade, she turned 8 yesterday!

Shecki Grtlyblesd said...

Good to see a post from you! Glad Squirt is doing well.

Our family is adopting again! This is our second adoption, but 9th child.

Ashley said...

Glad to have you back TM! Just got back from the beach. Feel recharged and ready to jump into fall.

Aus said...

16 comments in 24 hours - get the feeling we've been checking up on you? ;) (did that in less than 20!)

hugs - aus and co.

Dana@DeathBy GreatWall said...

Glad you're back. Homeschooling all four this year! Blogging less now that school started. Lastly, glad you're back!

Kohana said...

I missed you! Welcome back! I'm glad to hear of so many milestones over the summer (including letting go of that last shred of personal space). :)

20 Words or less? New foster son, attaching, seizures, epilepsy, EEG, MRI, FOUR KIDS, highs, lows, chocolate, Aussie springtime, school holidays, thank you Jesus!

Alyson and Ford said...

So glad you are back; you're the one we counted on to tell the truth! And you always found so many interesting links for us to read, learn and share. I am over the 20 words..... (hope you don't care) so, we are fine; so glad you are all great too. Our AA is amazing, she is making strides and stretching more into our world (I am sure you will understand). You haven't missed anything on our blog, it is our family photo album.
Glad you are back; seems blogging is out of fashion.

Alyzabeth's Mommy for FOUR years!

Victoria said...

Please tell us more about swim lessons! what a victory.