About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Not-So-Perfect Loaf of Bread

Y'all were so awesome in helping me feel less old, I thought I'd share a slightly humiliating story about myself.  The quest for the perfect gluten-free loaf of sandwich bread continues at our house, but I finally perfected the mostly edible gluten-free loaf of sandwich bread.

It took a couple of weeks though.

These last few days, I've been playing around with one recipe that I liked.  It tasted good.  The consistency felt pretty darn good.  But for some reason, I could NOT get that loaf of bread to rise more than three inches in height.  Oh my lands, y'all, did I beat myself into a lump of dough trying to figure this out.

Until one day...

(Tuesday)

I realized that my recipe created a one pound loaf.  And my bread maker?  My bread maker is sized for a two pound loaf.  I?  Am an idiot.

This concludes your laugh for the day.

(You're welcome.)

13 comments:

prechrswife said...

Sounds like something I would do. :-)

Casa Bicicleta said...

Fractions. They'll get you every time.

Good for you for persevering.

Casa Bicicleta said...

P.S. If you were older you would have figured it out sooner.

*grin*

Debby said...

We have tried making home made GF bread and it always tastes and looks like concrete. I BUY UDI. expensive but good. They have a new multi grain bread that is really good. I always keep the bread frozen and have to toast it twice. Good luck. This is so not easy to do.

Desiree' said...

Udi's!!! by far is the best, toasted

Aus said...

TM - thanks - I needed to know I'm not the only one that does stuff like that! ;)

hugs - aus and co.

curious_girl said...

Are you sharing the recipe?

Beach Mama said...

You need to check out Nicole at www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com. Apparently making GF bread is really tricky in a bread machine because it only requires one rising period instead of two that most machinese are programmed for. Unless your bread machine has a gf program. I learned from Nicole that different flours give different results. She has lots of recipes and bakes all kinds of breads, etc. On another note, you can make gf bread in a crockpot. Go figure:)

Mahmee said...

I applaud your efforts at making GF bread. It's no easy feat.
At our house, I just take the lazy route and eat Udi's Whole Grain.
Good luck with the bread making. When you are successful, you may want to start charging for the recipe. Good GF bread is like gold!
M.

CC said...

Been there. Done that. Often.

CC said...

Been there. Done that. Often.

Shari said...

I'll share one back...I have been trying to cut out soda...again! I was dying one day last week. I didn't get enough sleep. So I went down to our break room to get an over priced bottle and realized I didn't have any change. Thankfully the over priced vending machine takes credit cards (oh yes, it does!). I pulled my credit card out and had it in my hand when I got to the door...three tries and that stupid credit card would not OPEN THE DOOR. Yes, I was swiping the credit card on the security panel instead of my ID badge...I told you I NEEDED that soda:)

Suzy said...

Hahaha! Shari! And no matter how many times you wave your grocery discount card under the scanner at church, it will NOT sign in your child to her Sunday school/childcare class at church.