About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, April 23, 2012

Three! New! Words!

Squirt learned three new words this week!  The occupational therapy must be working.  Well, maybe possibly sort of working.  Our therapist came to us well recommended, but she's been struggling a bit with Squirt because she lacks experience in the field of international adoption.  A lot of the traditional tips and tricks don't work with children who've been internationally adopted because their oral-motor delays are caused by different-than-is-typical issues.  Fortunately, after Christmas our OT began reaching out to a coworker more experienced with IA, and oh my lands, y'all, can we see a difference.

Still, Squirt is nearly two-years-old now.

Which means she's... well... she's two.

(That's code for stubborn.  I mean, in case you didn't know.)

A lot of my friends in real life and acquaintances from church have wondered about OT.  What does it look like?  What do we do?  Well, I guess it's probably different for every child, but with Squirt we pretty much focus on eating.  No hardship there.  *grin*  Squirt is eating more challenging foods now, with the most progress shown in meats.  We've worked our way up from regular cuts of deli meat to size five slices of chicken, turkey and even ham.  (A size five slice is probably close to a quarter-of-an-inch thick, I'm guessing.)  The employee at our local deli counter now knows me by sight, and knows why I'm special ordering, so I don't feel awkward anymore for asking them to pull out hocks of meat to cut thicker slices.

Because I did.

Feel awkward, I mean.

(And no, I don't know why.  I mean, I'm paying for the stuff.)

The OT and I also do lots of licking with Squirt.  And by that I mean I dab salad dressing on the side of Squirt's mouth, or her top lip, and we encourage her to stick out her tongue and lick that yummy goodness off.  We also blow bubbles, and drink through straws.  Squirt has never drank from a sippy cup.  That's one thing you learn rather quickly in occupational therapy: occupational and speech therapists everywhere would personally like to shoot holes in every sippy cup on the planet.

Just so you know.

(Oh, the guilt.)

(Which is why I can't seem to let Squirt have one, even though we own them.)

But back to Squirt.  And her three new words.  She's obviously exceptionally bright.  Maybe even brighter than your child, but definitely brighter than that random kid down the street that you know who still picks his nose.  Where was I?  Oh, yeah.  Squirt.  Three new words.  Exceptionally bright.  I know y'all want to know the three new words, don't you?

(Just say yes, y'all.)

Squirt's three new words include ... *drum roll please* ... night night, pee pee and.... hockey.  Told y'all she was brilliant!  It's just too bad the Caps lost.  *sigh*

6 comments:

Aus said...

OK - "yes"!!

Three really GREAT words - outstanding - and really great work by the family too (I'm sure you and the OT didn't think up 'hockey'! Well...maybe at least the OT...)

Hugs - proud of her - aus and co.

Nikki said...

Congratulations! The next thing you know, she will be talking all the time and you will be ready for a quiet moment form her. I have speech therapist friend that is anti-sippy cup too. Sorry about your Caps. My Flyers won.

Casa Bicicleta said...

I just knew one of the three had to be Pee-Pee. Just knew it. ;-)
WTG Squirt, WTG.

Patty O. said...

Fantastic!

And now I feel terribly guilty because my 3 yo still drinks from sippy cups and I cannot, for the life of me, get him to drink from a regular cup. Crap.

Shari said...

Awesome! Those words are different too:) Using different sounds I mean. Every day a new milestone at that age.

The Gang's Momma! said...

As the mom of one of those average-intelligence kids down the street who still picks his nose, I comfort myself by know that he has other gifts. Snort. Heh. Heeheeheeheeheeheehee... You are on a roll, girl!