About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, November 3, 2011

Basements and Boobs

Well, what can I say, y'all, except thanks for all of the sweet messages you've sent, wondering where I've been.  Didn't you know that I dropped off the face of the earth?  Or perhaps I just descended to the depths of...my BASEMENT.  Yep, y'all, it's been an interesting six weeks in Tonggu House.

An earthquake hit our little neck of the woods on the Tongginator's first day of second grade, followed by a hurricane, then torrential rainstorms for the next week (including a tornado), which all led to a leaking roof and flooded basement.  We were a wet, watery mess for over three weeks.  Actually, it truly wasn't that bad, unless you count the fact that my entire basement (with assorted furniture and various non-childproof nicknacks and assorted Tongginator toys) stacked up from floor to ceiling in my living and dining rooms for over six weeks.  Not to mention the fact that the oven and kitchen sink both decided to break two weeks ago.  My husband's been saying that lately we've had to fix everything and the kitchen sink.  Which means - not to be tacky, y'all - but it means we've forked out almost 30 thousand dollars to various contractors this fall.

Just doing our part to help the local economy.

Ugh.

Much worse than that, two very close friends received some tough news during the month of October.  My Mandarin teacher's husband has been in and out of the ICU and critical care wards of their local hospital.  He's improving every day, and currently resides at a rehab facility, but it's been tough going for Shanghai Sweetie.  Also, about three weeks ago my good friend and neighbor Mrs. O received a breast cancer diagnosis. She's got great doctors and an excellent attitude, but it's still hard going.  Mrs. O's diagnosis is the fifth breast cancer diagnosis for our street in the past five years.  Five out of just 22 houses.  Five, including Rosie, who was close friends with both Mrs. O and me.

Y'all actually have Mrs. O to thank for the renewal of the blog.  She's one of my few in-real-life friends who knows about it, and she told me to get off my duff and entertain her again.

Now how could I say no to that?

So here I am, tired and grumpy from lack of sleep; a tad mildewy around the edges; with Tongginator bans of "that's private! don't put it on your blog!" thrown out left and right; trying to find my sense of humor again.  Because Mrs. O deserves some giggles.  She truly does.

Which is why I recently passed along this gem to her:

Because really, y'all, who doesn't want to carry around a water bottle sleeve with boobs?

I know I sure do.  

Maybe I should steal it back.

9 comments:

Aus said...

Well - I kinda figured that your RL was getting in the way of your VL...but wow...that's still some tough news all the way around. I'll turn loose the prayer warriors!

As for the water bottle sleeve - very very cool - maybe you should steal it back!! On a similar topic - the best support tee shirt I've seen last month was simply a pink tee (on a guy) with the words..."Save the Ta Ta's" 'Bout says it all - right?

Glad to have you back in my VL...

hugs to all - aus and co.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Yay for Mrs. O !!!!! You are doing way more than just being a mom my sweet sister! Wow...that is a lot of crisis' for one home:(

Praying for Mrs. O and that God heals her and I'm so thankful she has you to make her giggle:)

Love you and missed you tonssssss!!!

Carla said...

Now that is a seriously cute water bottle sleeve! I say don't steal it back, find another. ;) I think Mrs. O might need that one to make others smile in the next few months.

Because she won't need it to smile...she'll have you in her corner.

Debby said...

I have missed you. I figured you were busy with the little one. How awful about all those things happening. I hope your insurance helped some. Glad you are back.

Kayce said...

Now that's a lot of challenge! Your positive approach is inspiring and I know will get you through. Mrs. O will most definitely be added to my prayer list and you guys continue to be there as well. Lots of hugs to you!

Chris said...

Yay!!! You're back!

Sorry to hear that the last few weeks have been filled with a lot of 'stuff'!

And thank goodness for your friend, Mrs. O!!!!

Once again, you brought a smile to my face and lots of giggles...cuz, yes. I totally would love to have a water bottle sleeve with boobs!

:)

Cedar said...

Oh my! That is a lot going on! Praying for y'all.

As far as bans go, my 7 year old is banning things left and right, too...like the time he said, "No one cares about me here; I bet you wouldn't be upset if I was bitten by a crocodile." Ummm, we live in the NW, no crocodiles...but you can bet we would be upset. (I can tell the story, just not write it on the blog.)

Sharie said...

What is it with 7-year-olds deciding they don't want to be blogged about. I gave up the blog and NOW I can't take funny photos on my cell phone because, "You'll text it to someone; I know you will!"

Momma C said...

Welcome back- I was beginning to worry. we had to deal with a wet soppy basement a couple of months before leaving for Ethiopia- not fun (and who knew I had an entire house worth of stuff stored in the basement- I sure didn't until the night I had to move it quickly to higher ground)
and hopefully my 7 year old figure out I am writing about him on the blog