About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Can we buy a t-shirt that says “I Slept on the Great Wall?”

The jet lag, oh the jet lag, y’all.  It nearly slayed us.  The Husband and I didn’t do too badly (although perhaps we’re simply deluding ourselves), but the Tongginator and Tonggu Grammy really struggled a ton the first few days of our trip.  I think I might possibly have been Completely Naïve because I didn’t expect the Tongginator to struggle nearly as much as she did.  She’s always been A Good Traveler.  Then again, she’s never traveled halfway around the world to experience a completely different culture before.

Well, unless you count her adoption.

And we all know how well THAT transition went.

I? Am an idiot.

It took the Tongginator more than a couple of days to overcome the jet lag, which is to be expected, but it was a really tough couple of days, especially the day we traveled to see The Great Wall.  I felt certain she’d spend the entire visit searching for Big Bird and Xiao Foo, but no.  Didn’t happen.  Because the Tongginator?  Fell asleep exactly 0.6 seconds after we set foot on those slick stone steps.  Seriously, y’all… she marked down the number two on her Scavenger Hunt list for “note how many steps you climbed on the Great Wall of China” line item.

TWO.


Spot Tonggu Momma and the Tongginator

And she didn’t wake up until we reached our restaurant destination, presumably because she was hungry.  Which means guess who carried the Tongginator from step two of the Great Wall, down the steps to the gondola ride, and then from the gondola all the way back to the tour bus?

Yep.

Me.

*I* was the lucky one.

I figure it was just good practice for the coming days.

21 comments:

wheresrocket.com said...

Oh, Big Bird and Xiao Foo! You just made my day.

I hope she is doing better with the jet lag now! Sometimes it can just be so hard to handle, and you never know how it's going to hit on a given trip.

Love your blog. Thanks for sharing your adventures. :)

Myrnie said...

Oh poor thing! She'll be so sad she missed that :(

Cedar said...

Oh. My. I don't think I can even lift my 7 year old let alone carrying him around the Great Wall. Glad you are able to post.

Patricia/NYC said...

And who says your not in great shape?!?! ;)

KUDOS to you, TM!!! Whew, I'm tired just picturing that! ;)

THinking of you all & sending great big HUGS!!!!

Johnny said...

Smart like a fox!

Wanda said...

Way to go. I'm loving Beijing again, through your eyes.

Sherri said...

I'm thinking this means there's going to be another trip to China.

Sarah said...

At least she climbed 2 steps.
Two is better than zero.

I'm with Sherri, this means another trip to China.

happygeek said...

I'm with Miss T. Once you've seen two steps, you've pretty much seen them all.
Am thoroughly enjoying following along on your journey.
Cannot wait for Mei Mei day.

LaLa said...

So funny...but yeah, now you'll have to go back for sure : ) Can't wait to see and hear more!!

Aunt LoLo said...

Bahahahaha. Well, bless your heart. Good practice, indeed!

Laurie said...

So glad to hear things are going okay... minus the icky jet lag. I've got a whole long story about that.. maybe another day. It can be tough, that's all I'll say. I cannot wait to read about the next few days. More pictures, PLEASE!! :)

The Byrd's Nest said...

Poor little thing, I feel so bad for all of you. Jet lag is tough for me too;) Love you sister!!!

Briana's Mom said...

Not many people can say they actually slept on the Great Wall. I'd wear that as a badge of honor. :D

Claudia said...

Oh man. Well, at least you have the photos.

Catherine said...

Sorry you missed climbing The Wall...well, except for 2 stairs but I tell you - it makes for a great story!!

Beyond Normal Limits said...

You are SuperMom carrying a 7yo on the Great Wall of China!

Mia's Mommy said...

That's a great story. Maybe not so much when carrying that heavy child.. but such a funny story now that's it's over, right? LOL!

The Gang's Momma! said...

Hahahahahaha - Big Bird on the Great Wall.... totally cracks me up every time I think of that dvd. Love it.

Been following along faithfully. Such great posts and pics.

Cavatica said...

Was the Monkey King there at least? BB loves that movie. Lovin' your trip.

kitchu said...

just catching up with blogs, you know, months later cuz i never have the time! poor girl. she sounds like me, only i was sick too! took me NINE days to finally get on China time!