About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, April 4, 2011

The Real Reason I Started This Blog...

Subtitled: Unfortunately I'm Turning Into a Sap, Y'all, But I Can't Seem to Help Myself

I wrote my first post at Our Little Tongginator on January 18, 2008. I didn't really understand why I felt compelled to do so except that I could feel my mind slowly slipping into Crazy Mode during the marathon wait. More than that, I wanted to know what our family was doing on the day our soon-to-be daughter was born, a half a world away, somewhere in China.

Amazingly, the husband and I know exactly what we were doing on the day the Tongginator was born, back in 2004. We also know what we were doing on the day she was found. Obviously it's pretty irrelevant to her life story, but I think God allowed for that knowledge because He knew it would be important to the Tongginator as she aged. And it is. I don't know why she finds it important, but she does. I never shared our March 2004 story with her until she asked, but when she did - at age four - she quickly became fascinated with the details. We weren't THERE, with her, when she was born, but we were somewhere. For some reason, she finds those specifics important.

Probably this won't always be the case, but it matters to her now.

With the ever-expanding wait, and no idea as to the expected age of our future child, I worried that I wouldn't be able to replicate this with mei mei if I didn't compile some kind of regular journal. Only I absolutely stink at maintaining a consistent diary. At least, I used to stink at it until I became a Blogging Addict. Now I have absolutely no idea whether mei mei will find it important to know what we were doing on her birthday, but - regardless - I think the Tongginator will hold this story close to her heart when she's old enough to fully understand. She doesn't yet know because she hasn't asked the question, but I can answer her if she does. And I can answer mei mei, too, if she wonders about it.

Which is why I initially began this blogging journey.

Full circle.

It feels surreal, but after over three years of blogging, I can finally share what we were doing on mei mei's recorded date of birth: June 23, 2010. (And I'd especially like to thank Jamey for loaning me her two youngest that day. Because - as emotionally hard as it was on the Tongginator - it was worth it for this special knowledge.)

Now seriously, y'all, how amazing is THIS?

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wishing for Mei Mei

Yesterday afternoon, Tonggu House was overtaken by children. And by children I mean one eighteen-month-old (with! giardia!), one newly adopted two-year-old (also! with! giardia!), one dynamic duo (Power Twins! Activate!), a sad little gal who will be moving away tomorrow, and one Tongginator.

Yes, I managed to survive.

(I think a lot of people must have been praying for me.)

The two littlest ones caused a Commotion of Major Proportions when they left. Because the Tongginator really enjoyed pretending to be a Big Sister while they were here. But then they went back home with their mommy and daddy. And the Tongginator was left... not a Big Sister. She cried last night. And again this morning.

She really, really, really wants to be a 姐姐 (jie jie).

These are the days during the wait that are the most difficult.

40 comments:

Cedar said...

That is truly one of the most amazing, beautiful things I have seen God do! How can they not grow a special bond knowing the Tongginator cried for her on the day of her birth. Awww, others will say it better, but I am weeping (okay, tears are quietly rolling down my face) in joyful awe for such a special story to have to share.

aust2china said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So so excited for you!!! What a wonderful day(s) (both today and June 24 2010!)

:) At last... Tongginator IS a jie jie!!

aust2china said...

SORRY!! I got it wrong... should read JUNE 23 2010 (not 24!)

3cmum said...

Way back when we were waiting I too created a blog for the same reason. I wanted to know what we were doing when mei mei was born. And we know. We even have pictures - as for our sins I took her older sister to Euro Disney with mei mei's future godmother and her son. Daddy stayed at home. We went to disney the day she was born, we came home the day she was abandoned. And it was solely as a consolation for her sister as we had thought we would have mei mei by then (that was back when it suddenly went to 2 years from 6 months!) And yes our mei mei has asked and knows - right now at 4 she thinks it pretty funny!

Football and Fried Rice said...

THAT is God Sized! That's what that is!!!

Laurie said...

Chills.... big chills!!

Kelley said...

Oh it just doesn't get better than that...when you can sit and marvel at the wonderful way God works!!!

thewonderfulhappens said...

That is so wonderful that she was on all of your hearts so heavily that day.
We know what we were doing when our youngest was born--it was before my blog, but luckily he was born on our anniversary, so it was memorable enough!!

happygeek said...

Awesomeness. Just awesome.

Cavatica said...

Woo hoo!!!! So happy for all of you. Aren't these stories delightful? And I can't help but wonder if there will be a side shot, somehow, of mei mei's referral pic? Really, I don't know how you would Tonginate a referral pic.

Aus said...

Amazing - yeah OK - but....

In this fantastic adventure called adoption I've discovered many times over that these things occur...I don't know if they are really amazing as much as they are little reminders from the Father that we are on the right track - were then - and still are now!

So maybe - just thinkin - they are less amazing than that are a little open and honest communciation from Above? ;)

hugs - aus and co.

Briana's Mom said...

Amazing. Just truly amazing.

LucisMomma said...

I remember that post. And I am sure that Miss T remembers that day, crying for her MeiMei. How precious.

Congratulations again! YAY YAY! HAPPY HAPPY!

Dawn said...

Awesome... just simply awesome. Our God is so good to allow those "coincidences," isn't He?!

Be blessed!

ShackelMom said...

Wow, that is wonderful!

Sarah said...

So cool!

Shawna said...

How cool that you have this little treasure to look back and know what was going on in your life the day your precious one entered this world. I sure wished I had done a better job being consistent with my blogging during the difficult waiting period.

Larissa said...

Think the Tongginator will really like to know how God answered her prayers and tears giving her a mei mei in that same night!
Beautiful!

Carla said...

WOW I remember that, and how awesome it is for her to have that memory and know that.

Patricia/NYC said...

1 word: WOW!!!!!!!

Reena said...

Extremely happy and excited for all you! Great story about her birthday as well!

gabe said...

Thanks for blogging about this and your entire journey so far.

For one of those readers who has not adopted...your blog has been a gift. Learning what to say and what not to say. Seeing how to support my close friends and family who have gone down the adoption road. Thanks for the education.

I cant but think that your little one will so appreciate these pages as she grows. To see in writing the faith of her family as the waited on the Lord and on the her arrival.

Sunday Koffron said...

The universe works in mysterious ways…I am happy that the Tongginator will have the opportunity to be a big sister.

LBC said...

Stories woven together from the start!

Lisa said...

Ahhhhhh!!! Am I the last to pop in and find out?? YES? Well if so, then I'm gonna make this BIG! :)

So overjoyed for you all.....just wasn't checking in with Spring Break, company and such....but gracious, what a treat to find today!!

Can't wait to hear more and LOVED the pick of TG joyfully seeing her baby Sis!

SO SO happy for you all!!!

Yay!!

Kristi said...

Um. Where was I all weekend? Going to read previous posts to fully convey congratulations as soon as I say that I love little amazing God stories like the one above!

Summer said...

Congratulations to your family. So happy this day has finally come!

Patty O. said...

Wow, that's just too crazy to be a coincidence! I cannot wait for you guys to bring mei mei home. This is just so great!

Wendy said...

Now that is cool.

Eric said...

CONGRATS! 23's are good days.

Debz said...

Awww, sweet.
I love little common threads like that....Gods fingerprints.

organicnerd said...

That gave me goosebumps!

Alyson and Ford said...

Yes, very amazing!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

Sharie said...

UNSTINKING Believable!

prechrswife said...

That is just precious!

Wanda said...

A.Maz.Ing!!!

il panettiere... said...

Quite amazing and beautiful!

Sarah said...

Aw... Tears. That's very sweet.

Annie said...

WOW!!!!! How great is our God!

Beyond Normal Limits said...

I got chills reading this. What an awesome story for both girls! I might be a bit of a sap too. I love being able to fill in any details of the story for these kiddos who so desperately crave being known and knowing.