About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, April 15, 2011

Even Gas Can't Stop Her

So my momma used her cell phone to call me two mornings ago, sitting in her car in the parking lot of a popular local clothing store. My two nieces, tired and hungry for lunch, whined from the back seat. They'd been patient all morning, but at five minutes past noon, M&M (age five) and BabyRuth (just turned three) hit a wall.

Tonggu Grammy needed to head home.

You see, she'd been shopping for over an hour, collecting Cute Little Outfits for her future granddaughter. She'd called me a couple of hours before her frantic noon-time call, asking me what size clothing we expect mei mei might possibly fit into. Unsure, I went with the nine- to 12-month option, since we expect mei mei might possibly hover somewhere around 17 to 18 pounds when we meet her. That was all the permission Tonggu Grammy needed.

She's been waiting YEARS for this, y'all.

I'm pretty sure she went crazy. But then - thankfully - two little preschooler tummies and four drooping eyes called a halt to the madness. My momma forced herself to Cease and Desist, heading for the checkout line so that she could get M&M and BabyRuth home for lunch and nap.

Except...

Just before the cashier rang up the first item (a cute little dress and bloomer set, if Tonggu Grammy does say so herself), the cashier froze in shock. Tonggu Grammy, slightly concerned, glanced over her shoulder to find a firefighter - all decked out wearing full "I'm ready to fight a fire" regalia - gesturing at the cashier to stop.

Thwarted!

*insert gleeful chuckle from Tonggu Momma*

The fire fighter evacuated Tonggu Grammy from the building, along with all of the other shoppers and store employees. It seems, y'all, that there was a gas leak. And everyone had to leave immediately, including Tonggu Grammy.

WITHOUT mei mei's Cute Little Outfits.

Now y'all... my momma does not like to be thwarted. She's a southern momma, former teacher, wife of a retired Marine aviator, no nonsense kind of woman. But one gas leak, a crew of very large fire fighters and cashiers who refused to risk life and limb (the! nerve!) prevented her from purchasing mei mei's extensive wardrobe just then. To make matters even more difficult, two little tummies and four drooping eyes meant Tonggu Grammy couldn't stick around the parking lot all day, waiting for the fire department to give the all clear. So she called me, then headed home, Extremely Frustrated.

I, on the other hand, laughed and told her this was probably God's way of preventing her from spoiling mei mei.

Which is why she called me back about five hours later, with a glee-filled voice, announcing that God in fact DID want her to spoil her future granddaughter. Because when Tonggu Grammy returned to the store that evening? She headed straight to the racks, trying to recreate her Pile Of Enormous Proportions. Only she couldn't find any of the clothing in the right sizes.

Until...

A store employee walked past carrying a huge pile of baby clothes, preparing to place them back out on the floor. My momma stopped her, asking, "excuse me, but are those all nine- to 12-month clothes?" Why yes, yes they were. Because it was Tonggu Grammy's pile from earlier, recently collected from the check-out area.

Which goes to show y'all that even a little gas won't prevent Tonggu Grammy from spoiling her future granddaughter.

Just so you know.

23 comments:

givingherallshesgot said...

OK, that is a freaking adorable story! I love it! :-D

Keating Mom said...

Great story! Way to go TG! :) A little grandparent spoilage is in order. Mei Mei will love this story one day.

Aus said...

Hummm - and if I have any kind of an idea about you....well....let's just say I think she's rubbed off on you!!

And for over at NHBO and your 'whatever wednesday' - you may want to give this one a read - part 1 of however many - but a great description of a 'less than perfect' - but extremely honest - gotcha day! I think a lot of adoptive prospects should maybe give it a read under the heading of 'must be prepared for anything'! http://dreamingofteafortwo.blogspot.com/

hugs - aus and co.

Dawn said...

So sweet!

And tomorrow's post? A fashion show of all this cute wardrobe is in order!!!

the meaklims said...

Aww, sounds like the perfect Grammy. :)

autumnesf said...

You know, there is absolutely NO substitute in the world for a good grandma. It is the greatest gift to a child EVER.

my3 kids said...

Awe how sweet....Tonggu Grammy sounds like one amazing Grandma..Can't wait to see what she bought:)

Janice

Patty O. said...

As my mother would attest, NOTHING gets in the way of a granny spoiling her grandbabies. Nothing.

I love this story!

Barbara said...

That sounds like something my mom would have done!!

We traveled to China in Nov. to bring home our sweet twins from Jiangxi. At the time they weighed about 18 pounds. the majority of the clothes we took with us were 12 month and they fit perfectly. We did take a few 9 months with us and they were fine.

My mom also had to wait a very long time to shop for her granddaughters. I can tell she did some shopping before we got our referral in Sept. It is the items that there is only one of.

Shopping and life has joined so much since our referral. I no longer count correctly. When I say I have 4 outfits, what I really mean is 8 outfits, 4 for each girl. So Grandma and I have to be very careful to clarify our numbers!!

Congratulations on your referral!
Barbara
Mother of Twins from Jiangxi, China

Football and Fried Rice said...

Yah!! And you KNOW Mei Mei is going to be darling in all her new outfits!! So happy Tonggu Grammy made it back to the store ;)

prechrswife said...

And it makes a great story, too! :-) Priceless!

Myrnie said...

I could tell you stories about spoiling...but I won't. I'll just say that you CAN'T spoil a baby (not with clothes, for sure! Babies just eat, sleep, poop, and drool...and do it everywhere. Indiscriminately. Yuck :) I am SO excited for you guys!!

Shonda said...

and just as it should be. Good job grammy

The Byrd's Nest said...

ha ha ha....I LOVE Tonggu Grammy!!!!

Sharie said...

That is adorable!
Amelia was born approximately 9/18 we met on 7/3 so she was 9.5months. She wore 6 month clothes for about 2 months.
I hadn't bought much as I had requested boy or girl 1-3. Most of what I had fit her a year or 2 later 18 and 24 months She was and is average size. Not super tiny and not horribly underweight.
Not sure if that helps. I think she was 14 pounds Hard to believe it's been nearly 6 years.

Laine said...

Tonggu Grammy ROCKS! Gotta love that 'nothings gonna stop me' spirit!
Grammys are BLESSINGS!

Suzy said...

I've got a bit of a stubborn streak myself - When people ask if God is trying to tell me something I always say, "I'm not sure if He's saying Try harder or No." I have a feeling your mom is a bit like that ; )

Holly said...

We are all not-so-secretly wishing we had a Tonggu Grammy in our lives :) :) :)

Teacher Girl said...

Ha, Grandma's will do everything in their power to spoil their grandkids. Gotta love her. :)

The Gang's Momma! said...

I know how Grammy feels. I was walking thru K0hl's baby dept. the other day, thinking of your mei mei and admiring the pretty summer dresses and Oh! So! Adorable! bathing suits with ruffles on the bums :)

Tonggu Grammy said...

oh, my goodness! I never even thought about a bathing suit. what's wrong with me?

Catherine said...

LOL! Let nothing come between and Grammy and the spoiling of their grandchild! :o) Go Grammy!!!

Ashley said...

Congratulations on your referral! What a wonderful surprise! Tongginator is going to be a wonderful big sister.