About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Nursery

Several of y'all asked if the husband and I (and the Tongginator) have chosen a name for mei mei yet. The answer is yes, we have a name! And it isn't mei mei. *grin* Mei mei, or 妹妹 in Mandarin characters, means little sister. At the moment, mei mei is our future little one's blog nickname - that may or may not change later. As for her future legal name, we selected a first name quite awhile ago, although we've not shared it with many people until recently. It's a name with special meaning for our family.

Her middle name is undecided at the moment, since we don't yet know her Chinese name.

Mei mei's room is also mostly ready. Since we won't share her name with y'all, I thought perhaps a few photos of the nursery are in order. It's a classic Winnie the Pooh theme because I collected many Winnie the Pooh items during my childhood. Most of these knickknacks date back to the seventies, eighties and nineties.

just three of the several dozen Winnie the Pooh knickknacks from my childhood;
and yes, that's a photo of Tonggu Grammy with a 13-month-old Tongginator

As for the color scheme, it's a variety of pastels, although the primary colors are yellow and purple. The official name of the purple paint color is Chinese Violet, but we didn't actually register that fact until we'd already painted the room. Because we are smart like that. We decided on that color scheme because of this cross stitch, made by the husband's maternal grandmother when my mother-in-law was pregnant:


The Tongginator lived in this same nursery until we moved her into the Panda Room on her fourth birthday, although we've since made a few changes. We added a twin bed because I was not (not! not! not!) gonna sleep on the floor again during the worst of the sleep issues. We coslept with the Tongginator, but found it easier to cosleep with her in her room rather than in our room. Six years ago, the husband and I took turns sleeping on an air mattress in the middle of the nursery. Ugh. If we battle sleep issues again, I at least want to have a comfortable place to lay my head. The crib is also new, since the Tongginator's crib was recalled. It's a tad crowded with both a twin and the crib, but we don't care.

and yeah, social workers everywhere, I know we'll have to pull that
hanging basket down from above the crib before mei mei arrives

the quote shown stenciled around the room reads, "'when you
see someone putting on her Big Boots, you can be pretty sure
an Adventure is going to happen,' said Winne the Pooh."


We first saw this look when we traveled to northern England in 2004. The English often use picture rails (similar to chair rails, only set about 18 inches to two feet from the ceiling) in their homes to hang pictures since their homes are typically much older and walls damage more easily. We liked the look, especially with a quote stenciled above, so we went with it. After six years, I'm still not sure if it's beautiful or if it looks too much like birthday wrapping paper.

(And thank goodness the Tongginator was a sensory seeker.)

(Because wow! what a lot of visual stimulation.)

My mother and aunt helped us find several of the room's linens and accessories, including several gorgeous Amish quilts. My personal favorite is the one we placed in the crib:


and also the area rug, which we picked up from Pottery Barn Kids:


I couldn't find any themed lamps that I liked, so we opted for simplicity, purchasing plain pale pink lamps and adding small decorations ourselves. These are lapel pins I picked up from a shop in downtown Annapolis. We placed one on each side of the two lamp shades.

my favorite: Tigger!

I adore a lot of the little details of this room, mostly because we received them as gifts from relatives and friends. While we waited for the Tongginator, our loved ones surrounded us with support and shared in our excitement.

the Tongginator's toy chest, which she graciously agreed to
share with mei mei (and yes, I blotted out her name on the lid)

the framed Piglet print is from my beloved Aunt P and the
husband slept in this bassinet when he was an infant

we kept the card that's hanging on the door from the Tongginator's
baby shower (everyone in attendance signed it), and yes, y'all, we
plan to have others sign it before mei mei arrives home, too

And of course there is still the all important storage. I have yet to pull out the clothes, since I don't yet know our daughter's age and probable size, but I did clean out the closet and empty the many and varied storage containers. (I'm a gal who loves me a good bin. I can't seem to help myself. It's an addiction.)


So that's it. That's the nursery, also known as the Winnie the Pooh room, and soon to be known as mei mei's room. Because our referral? Is coming, y'all.

It's almost here.

52 comments:

Cristina said...

Beautiful!! But dare I put a fly in the ointment by asking what happens if you are allocated a boy???!!!!! xxx

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

very cute! VERY!

lea
xo

Kim K. said...

Thank you for sharing your sweet nursery with us. I'm excited for you. Can't wait to rejoice in your news...getting close NOW!!

bbmomof2boys said...

When I grow up I wanna be just like you! =P

Love the room. Really like the organized closet..can you come to my house and help me organize it? Please?? Pretty please? It will help you keep your mind off of your upcoming referral (yeah, right!)

Can't wait to do the happy dance and scream out loud! You'll hear me, trust me!

Hugs,
Carla

Teacher Girl said...

It's beautiful!! I am so excited for you!!!

Heather said...

Excited for you. Wishing MY closet looked that organized! And the room? So precious! I just know you had a great time working on it!

Aus said...

Very cool - oh - and while you are going on about mei mei - what if it turns out to be 'si si' (see see)? ;) You know me - love to stir the pot when I can!!

hugs - aus and co.

The Gang's Momma! said...

Adorable. Just adorable. Very English - I noticed that straight away :)

And Tigger? Yeah. He's da bomb. Da best. Da Tiggeriest.

:)

Laurie said...

Love the theme, love the stripes, love all the special, meaningful pieces. And about it feeling crowded? As I recall, not a lot of playing actually happens in the nursery. Rock, change, sleep... that's about it. I think it's perfect!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Yes, it is! It's adorable - and I see there's room for TM too ;)

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh, add a mini fridge and I'd be set!

Tonggu Grammy said...

You're NEXT!

thewonderfulhappens said...

A nursery, wow! I love that quilt in the crib--I have a thing for quilts! It's your turn, mama!

Jboo said...

Oh my -- what a beautiful room with so many special items! Lovely! So excited for you and your family!

Janet

Lin said...

Gorgeous TM, really lovely. Hopefully it won't be long now before a little bundle of joy is using the room. We find out Apr 15 whether our second is a boy or girl, I sincerely hope you'll have seen your babies face before then. You've been waiting WAAAAY longer.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh I LOVE it! It is precious and oh so adorable:) I have been trying to read a Pooh chapter book with the girls but they just can't get into it (sigh) I love Pooh bear!

P.S. I too love bins:)

Mama.The.Dragon said...

Love it!!!! Very excited here for you!

sara said...

Love the room AND Winnie the Pooh. We're a big WP family and have lots of stuff around.

And can I just say how much I'm coveting all of the bins in the closet!

Patricia/NYC said...

GORGEOUS!!! Love the quote too...I somehow get the feeling it will be mei mei's motto ;)

And I am OH SO IMPRESSED with your organizational skills!! That closet!! Can you come over here?? lol!

SOOOO EXCITED for you all!!!
Soon & very soon!

Love Letters To China said...

What an exciting time it must be for you and your family. Your new little one is going to love her bedroom.

She Writes said...

It is adorable! Absolutely adorable. LOVE the quote, too.

Wendy said...

Oh, love, love, love. My oldest daughter, Becky, who is now nearly 19, had a Pooh themed room when she was a baby! But, I have to confess yours is much nicer. Love the color scheme and the "writing on the wall!"

And I have those SAME green baskets. They are a God-send!

Mei Mei is going to love her new room!

Sarah said...

Alright the room's ready.
It's time for the kid.
(I'm sick of waiting with you)

Kayce said...

Beautiful! Mei Mei will be such a treasure in that room!

Laura L. said...

Hello, TM! Your nursery is just beautiful. I love all of the special things you've put in there, including all of the things from family and those used in the Tongginator's nursery too. I think it's way cool to use so many special family pieces.

I love quilts, so I love what you've done with yours. I'm kind of jealous of your diaper bag, and I'm not even having a baby! Don't need a diaper bag. :) I ♥ your organization in the closet too.

Oh, you will be sooo glad you've put the twin size bed in there. We had one in our girl's room and it was wonderful when she had sleep issues.

Cedar said...

So excited for you to finally get your referral. I think it is a great nursery.

Sharon said...

SO now I know why I was thinking you had forgotten about me! No wonder, SOSOSOSO exciting. GORGEOUS, perfect nursery. Unique, sentimental, beautiful, warm, lovely, ...perfect. (And it doesn't look crowded in the photo!!) I know her name....LOVED!

Andrea said...

I think it's darling! We also have a twin bed in our nursery. It doesn't get used very often but on those certain nights with a sick child, it sure is a lifesaver.

Buckeroomama said...

Oh, I am getting SO excited for you!! The room looks great. It's extra sweet because of all those personal touches. :)

trina said...

How exciting!!!

Love the rails near the ceiling...and especially the shelf. Very sweet.
trina

Stefanie said...

Woohooo!! Almost here indeed!
I predicted the 31st and I'm stickin' to it... but of course, I hope referrals come even earlier :)
LOVE that sweet nursery, will be perfect once mei mei is home!!

prechrswife said...

Adorable nursery!

Kim said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TanyaLea said...

I'm so excited for you... your referral is COMING... SOON!!! Yay! :)

So much thought and detail into "mei mei's" room... she is gonna LOVE it in there. Makes me happy just looking at everything and knowing the story/meaning behind them... truly a personal space!

God bless! <><

Hugs,
Tanya

Laine said...

It is PERFECT!
And your precious 7 year old's response to what was on that paper in the post below GAVE ME CHILLS...she is amazing.
Thank you for sharing all that you do--we're growing and learning right along with you!
(and waiting along with you too--cannot wait until mei mei is in that Pooh room! :)

LucisMomma said...

So sweet!! Can't wait to see it USED by Mei Mei!

Wendy said...

I love it!!! Yellow and purple are my favorite!!!! I'm over the moon for you!

Myrnie said...

:) Love the layers of generations...

Gail said...

You are so close, you've been in my thoughts a lot lately!

Mei Mei's nursery is just lovely, love all the details with the basinette that your husband slept in, Winnie the Pooh, the quote and the color scheme is beautiful.

SO happy for you TM!!!

hugs,

Gail :)

Sharie said...

I think that room is unisex:) My just need to get a darker bedding if it's a boy.

YOU'RE NEXT!

Suzy said...

Godspeed!

Patty O. said...

Wow! What a great room! Can't wait for you guys to get your referral. I'll pray it comes quickly!

Mahmee said...

That looks like a great room. We too packed a bed into our nursery. It was the best thing we ever did. Spent a TON of nights in there the first 6-12 months with our wee fairy.
It's the final countdown!
M.

Wanda said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Mei Mei's sweet nursery.
{{{hug}}}

Chris said...

How lovely!!!

All that is missing is...
Mei Mei! :)

Special K said...

Beautiful! I love the stripes, wall quote and chair rail. Mei Mei will love her room.

Alyson and Ford said...

Beautiful beyond belief!! We didn't do anything for AA, put her in our guest room with queen bed..... I am so decorating challenged, I couldn't pick out all what you did in one hundred years!! (we did change the color scheme to pink and brown). I hope our AA does not take after me when it comes to decorating!

You have made mei mei's room unbelievably beautiful!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

Kristi said...

We are birds of a feather ~ the girls' room at our house was painted to coordinate with a cross-stitch that my grandmother made me. The pink color is called pigtail pink. :)
Pooh bear is a favorite in our house, I can't wait to know that the wee one is home and enjoying it!!!

Aunt LoLo said...

The room looks gorgeous!!!! Both of my "nurseries" had very little in common with yours...other than the Winnie the Pooh theme, and the possibility of a baby sleeping in there. I could never get my act together enough to get everything matchy-matchy. heh

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

It is SO PRETTY!!! You are all ready my friend.... now you just need that picture and your travel approval. I could not be more excited for you..... FINALLY, after a half decade of waiting....... your are going to have another daughter!

xoxo,

Lisa

Rich said...

While slowly perusing this post, I thought, "what, no pandas?", then I happily stumbled on THE PANDA ROOM and OMG or would that be OMLs?... The Bing would adore The Panda Room. I do too. And I hope the Winnie the Pooh room is soon filled.

Cavatica said...

Oh, that last comment was me.