About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, March 11, 2011

The Husband's Horrible Day

I am Absolutely Exhausted today because I haven't gotten much sleep over the past few days. I caught up a little bit last night, but I'm still in recovery mode from earlier in the week. It all started when the Husband told me he was working late on Wednesday night and did I mind? Of course not. Sometimes a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.

He told me to expect him around 9:00.

So I read. And watched a little television. And nested a bit. And I waited for him to get home. Instead I got a phone call at a little before nine. Some of the business partners at the meeting were heading to a Caps game (hockey, for all y'all like me who could care less about most sports) and actually had a suite. A hockey game... free food... free drinks. He wanted to go for obvious reasons and asked my permission.

(I love that he is so well-trained considerate.)

Of course I said yes, and then decided to watch a movie while I waited for him. I waited. And I waited. I started to freak out at about 11:30, not because I usually freak out (although I totally do sometimes, but that's beside the point), but because it was a really, really rainy night.

My mind kept wandering to smashed metal on the side of the highway.

But of course I didn't want to be psycho wife when he was in a room with a bunch of engineers I've never met and one coworker who loves to tease me about being... well... a psycho wife.

I finally broke down and called him at just before midnight. You know, because I felt that any SANE wife would call her husband at just before midnight on a rainy work night if said husband was still not home. Psycho wives call at ten. Or maybe even eleven. But sane wives wait until midnight. You see how my brain works, right? (I? Am an idiot.)

Thankfully the Husband was safely driving in the car.

But he wasn't driving home.

He was actually driving back INTO the city after having already driven more than half-way home. And he was doing that because 30 minutes into his drive the coworker who likes to tease called him, slightly drunk and standing outside of a locked parking garage. The guy the coworker carpooled with - who thankfully wasn't drunk - was standing next to them. Outside of a locked parking garage.

And the car? Was inside of the locked parking garage.

(Does anyone else see the problem here?)

The Husband turned around to pick them up. And he drove them to his coworkers house. How and when the other guys got home, I do not know. But I know the coworkers wife. And I would have paid Big Money to see her expression if they ended up crashing in her living room like a bunch of drunken frat boys. I think the only person more scary than her in that situation would be... er... me. So it makes sense that they all went to the other house instead of ours.

The Husband finally arrived home at 1:45 AM.

We got to sleep at around 2.

Because he was safe and sound now, so I could finally relax and go to sleep. And I couldn't even get mad at him because how can you get mad at a guy for saving other people from Certain Death? (And no, I'm not talking about the not-so-great section of town along New York Avenue in the city during the wee hours of the morning. Although that's always a possibility in that particular neighborhood. No, y'all, I'm talking about The Wives.)

But guess what the husband got to do just five short hours later, y'all? You'll never guess.

At 7:15 AM he reported for jury duty.

Jury duty, y'all.

He gets to go again today.

I swear you can't make this stuff up.


Kim K. said...


Aus said...

Hey - he did some good work and is to be commended! As for jury duty - with all the time I've spent waiting in court....he had plenty of time for a nap!

hugs - aus and co.

Laurie said...

That'll teach him not to try and have spontaneous fun again, now won't it? What a bummer!!!

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

aww, he is a good friend. If Mr. Sunday brought drunken friends home I would let them stay, because I would want them to be safe, but… I. Would. Not. Be. Happy! I have some control issues ; )

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

what a nice guy!

even if you had gone to bed you wouldn't have slept well. I never do when things aren't right in the house! Yikes, I hate that.


sara said...

That sounds absolutely miserable and I want to take a nap just thinking about it. Well, I just want to take a nap period.

Debbie said...

I think that is why that "nice guys finish last" statement was coined!

Wendy said...

This is why I never wait up. My husband regularly gets called into work at all hours of the night or ends up having to stay at work until all hours of the night in all kinds of weather. He often goes to baseball games out of state that bring him home at 3 a.m. My advice: let go and let God. If life is going to throw a sh*t storm at you (or at your husband), it's gonna happen whether you're awake or not. You're better off under any circumstances (even the worst case scenarios) if you're well rested.

Cavatica said...

I have always relied on you for excellent information on a great many things. Thanks for informing me that I am in fact, NOT a psycho wife. There have been concerns. Mostly within my own head, as I've been quiet about it, but it's nice to have an expert sane wife, like yourself, put me at ease on this.

I bet all the jurors slept.

Holly said...

You have a way of making even semi-scary things humorous. It's a gift. Glad he's just tired.
Better tired than dead I always say. (except for the times I feel so tired I feel almost dead!)
Hope it is a long and restful and QUIET weekend!!

Cedar said...

Let go and let God. Yes, that is excellent advice. It is exactly what I do. I also thank God for life insurance and call my husband's cell phone. Sometimes several times a day.

Mahmee said...

Ah, the pitfalls of hockey. Seems like everything was going fine until the evil temptress hockey reared her ugly head.
And you have to lose an hour of sleep this weekend too. Blech.

Football and Fried Rice said...

It all started with being an overachiever and working late ;)

I had jury duty last week too! Two days of my life I'll never get back ;)

Annie said...

LOL! I am very glad he is safe and sound and was good enough to provide you with some really good blog material!!!! Hehehehehe!

Girly Girl Mommy said...

Did they not think that the parking garage closed?? That actually happened to my hubby once when he worked at Connecticut and L downtown- the garage closed with his car locked safely inside one very late night.
I think I waited up too.

Heather said...

Jury duty? Not fun. I feel your pain otherwise. My hubby has those late nights and usually ends up being the "babysitter" for those coworkers who still feel the need to act like frat boys at the age of 40. I hate staying up worrying because my thoughts turn to the exact same insane ones who had. I'm right there with ya, girl!

Patty O. said...

Wow! Good for him for saving those guys' lives! Your hubby's a gem!