About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, March 18, 2011

Drama Queen 2

After throwing my daughter under the bus yesterday, calling her a Drama Queen of Major Proportions, I suppose I should probably casually mention that she might possibly - just a tad, you understand - come by that character trait honestly.

This may shock some of you, but... I can be a Drama Queen, too.

(SHOCKING, isn't it???)

At no time during my twelve year marriage has said fact been more evident than this week. Because the Husband? Is out of town. And the Husband? Is on the west coast at the moment. I know all y'all who live near or amid the Pacific Ocean are asking yourselves why, oh why is that of Major Concern at the moment? And I realize that y'all feel no fear because you are NORMAL. But I? I am NOT normal. I am a Drama Queen of Major Proportions. And the radiation?

It is out there.

I've been glued to the news for much of this week, y'all. And I know I should turn it off. News stations should have disclaimers for the relatives of people like me. NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER 18 AND WIVES WITH OVERACTIVE IMAGINATIONS. I've felt absolutely devastated for the people of Japan. Did I mention I used to live there? (The town I lived in was much further south; thanks very much for asking. And I lived there a very long time ago, too, so it's not like I've kept in touch.)

But that doesn't mean I've stopped caring.

I've prayed continually for the people of Japan and the relief workers. I've cried several times this week, watching the interviews of people directly effected, most especially the workers at the plant and the elderly gentleman who couldn't find his daughter and twin grandsons. (He just touched my heart in a huge way.) So of course this makes me feel even more guilty for my freak out of major proportions. Because we all know there is a very real concern about radiation in northern Japan. And that the other side of the Pacific Ocean? Is pretty far from the danger.

But I'm still freaking out.

(I blame CNN.)

The closest we've been personally effected by this horrible, horrible event is that my six-year-old nephew and his grandparents had to sleep in a car on the island of Maui the night the tsunami struck Hawaii. You know, because their vacation condo building flooded on the first floor and - even though their condo sits on the third floor - the authorities worried about structural damage. They slept in a car. For just one night. And no one was hurt. And it was a VACATION condo, for goodness sakes.

I? Am a moron.

A moron who can't seem to stop her Irrational Thoughts.

Because the Husband is on the west coast. And the news stations keep talking about drug stores in California, Oregon and Hawaii sold out of potassium iodine. And I can't help but wonder... what do these people know that I don't know? Or are the purchasers all people like me, ones who should have read the warning label that law should mandate appear on the nightly news: NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER 18 AND WIVES WITH OVERACTIVE IMAGINATIONS?

I can't even believe other people are willing to tolerate my crazy self.

Maybe THAT'S why the Husband went to Oregon.

Actually, it's not. It's to help his momma move. But that's beside the point. Because he'll probably stay in Oregon just to avoid my crazy self. Now distract me by telling me what y'all are doing to help with relief efforts. Do you have a favorite charity? Are you a prayer warrior? Have you connected with relatives or friends living in Japan? Is everyone okay? What can we do?

21 comments:

Claudia said...

We have friends in Japan working as missionaries. They are okay, for which we are profoundly thankful. We heard from them this morning and they recommend donations to CRASH Japan (Christian Relief, Assistance, Support and Hope network). Website is http://www.crashjapan.com . Really glad to have this direction because we weren't sure who to give to - personally, we prefer to channel our financial aid through Christian charities where possible and didn't know of this one.

Hope hubby gets home soon, well and safe, as he undoubtedly will!!!

Aus said...

You do know how to freak out well...give yourself a little credit!

There have been some 'challanges' helping out the folks in Japan - the government is so closed mouthed about what thier needs really are sometimes - but we're active with a ministry here in Cincy that responds to all these types of things (Matthew 25).

As for you young lady - time to turn off the telly and go play outside! ;)

hugs - prayers - aus and co.

autumnesf said...

We havent done anything significant for Japan yet. I know it takes a little bit to get on the ground and up and running before the bigger legit stuff can get organized and let us know exactly what they NEED now besides just money (not that its JUST money you understand). I'm sure there will be donated quilts and other items I can send on along with the needed $$$$ donations.

Elouise82 said...

Oh no, you are not the only one freaking out. If I lived on the West Coast, I would be one of those buying potassium iodine!

Red Cross is always my go-to place for donations in times like these. However, I did just discover a group called Handmade for Japan, a collection of artists who are having an online auction of several gorgeous items, and 100% of the proceeds are going to relief efforts in Japan. They have a FB page (I think it's just titled Handmade for Japan), and they're on Twitter, as well. Seems like a great idea to me!

LucisMomma said...

We have prayed...not done anything more, as of yet. I was born in Tokyo (thanks Dad, for making me an Air Force brat), so the tragedy does hit home with me.

Prayers for your hubby on his way home soon. I didn't realize your relatives actually had to evacuate their condo when in Hawaii. That's pretty scary.

Hugs to you, TM, as you cope.

The Byrd's Nest said...

We have a missionary friend there also but she is okay. My heart breaks for all of these people and their losses. Oh my...there are so many.

I think you have a little "referral anxiousness" too don't you think? I have an overactive imagination also...especially with my family!!!! Big hugs and no more watching TV while your hubby is gone:)

Jessica Fields Rudder said...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm on the West Coast (L.A. area) and no one out here seems too concerned.

If potassium iodide is selling out somewhere, it's not selling out here.

Also, some studies (quite a few, actually) have shown that exposure to radiation (more than the recommended amount less than working in a nuclear plan that's melting down) correlates to lower rates of cancer. The theory is that exposure to small amounts of radiation activates your cells defense systems and teaches them to fight against future mutations. Think of it as weird sort of cancer vaccine.

Anonymous said...

ummm....yeah. I think you were right the first time. Get over yourself please and remember that the coastline of Japan was riddled with bodies....thousands are feared missing...homes destroyed....the continuing threat of the meltdown. You mentioned weeping, praying - how about some perspective?

Time to move beyond yourself please! This may have been a post best left to yourself.

:(

Not gonna hold your hand and tell you its okay. Consider this your bucket of cold hard reality splashing in your face. *sigh*

Cedar said...

It is a horrible tragedy, and I would probably be crying a lot for the people of Japan (as you are) if I had cable to see it all. Netflix streaming doesn't give me CNN. Not sure if I am glad about that or sorry I'm not weeping with sorrow. Compassion...well you know.

Anyway, we have good friends that work for Samaritan's Purse and one that works for World Vision, so we will donate to one of those, probably. I've never heard of CRASH, but if someone in Japan recommended it, we might look into that one instead. I like to give to organizations that are already in place and doing something.

Sad, sad, sad...event. However, on the West Coast we are not worrying, and my husband is the survivalist paranoid (who lives a normal life) type so he would know if we should. I hate it when he is not home, too.

Deb said...

TM....
You are me this week! I too, have been glued to CNN and the NHK channel! I cannot even imagine the terror that they are going through. We lived through the 7.2 in So. Cal in 1994.....even made us leave the West Coast...and here this was a 9.0...plus the tsunami and now the nuclear threat....and they cannot escape all of this unless they immigrate! My heart is truly with the Japanese people during this incredible loss! They are so gracious....and strong....and I know they will re-build.....but no one deserves this horrific tragedy in life!

On a happier note.....I keep thinking about your family and your upcoming referral! :):):):) Have a wonderful weekend!

Melanie said...

You're not alone in your freaking outness. I work at a clinic and we've been getting calls about the same thing daily.

There's nothing to worry about here on the west coast. We will all be fine. (that's what I keep saying anyway.)

Betsy said...

I'm in Oregon! And everything here is pretty calm. Nobody's worried. It will be fine. :-)

The Gang's Momma! said...

ON the one hand, I totally hear ya on the freak out thing. I mean, I have no connection and no one I love in imminent (or imagined) danger. But I have felt so heavy hearted and solemn this week, aching for the loss and the pain and the grief.

On the other hand, you DO know how to tell a tale, my friend :) And I'm fairly certain that the hubby knows of your tendencies and loves you anyway. With as crazy as the media and the general population is getting, I'm willing to bet that he's MORE than happy to wing his way back home. Even to your craziness :)

You may be crazy, but you are his crazy.... right?

Turn off the tv like Aus said and go play. Sounds like you need it :)

aust2china said...

LOL! I'm the exact opposite to you!!! My "she'll be right mate" attitude gets me into trouble - coz I don't worry enough!!!

So - whats the story (I don't get time to watch the news!) is the West Coast copping some fallout from the Tsunami?! We're going to LA in May!!! I hope its still going to be there!!!

Debbie said...

I think my family cringes anytime a tiny news blurb of any kind comes one that I might be able to relate to our family because I panic over everything. So, I can understand you freaking out about the radiation. And I'm not sure what we can do except support the Red Cross and organizations like that.

Debby said...

It just shows that you care. So many do. Not sure what I will do but I hope to donate somehow.
As far as anonymous, really????? I can't believe that they can leave a comment and not be identified.

Eileen said...

What do people know who are taking dangerous medication against doctors orders that you don't? Um..not much worth knowing ;-)

Here's a very funny but also educational video from Japan explaining the situation :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sakN2hSVxA

Hopefully that will help calm some fears. <3

Sharie said...

I was really concerned for one of my best friends from college and her family. I knew she was in Tokyo so would be safe, but was unsure of her parents and brother. They are all safe; however they are missing some relatives who live in Fukushima.

She wasn't able to get home from work last weekend, but found a place to stay and is now working to reschedule spring classes at the school she teaches at.

And speaking as someone who works in the power industry and lives 20 minutes from a nuclear plant, your hubby has nothing to worry about - and neither do you - my guess is that it is your way of staying sane when YOUR NEXT!

Anonymous said...

I'm on the west coast. One friend considered buying tablets and settled for feeding her family seaweed. No one else I know has done anything. The radiation wasn't even supposed to reach Oregon until today (Saturday). And I opened the windows and aired out the house because it's Oregon and it's rained everyday for the last 87 months and it wasn't raining today and my house was *stale.* But, I saw a comparison of levels of radiation from different events/exposures and apparently the radiation in Oregon today was less than the radiation you ingest from eating a banana. That was enough to let this freak-out prone, over-protective mama open the windows and let the kids play in the sunshine.

Sorry you worried all week-- thinking maybe the field trip issue would have been easier if you hadn't been worried about the husband and Japan and earthquakes, tsunamis and nuclear melt downs. I think a freak out was completely understandable.

Annie said...

Oh TM! I am a crazy wife/momma/daughter/friend too! I am trying VERY hard not to worry so much, cause as you know, worrying is a sin and boy am I a sinner in this regard! LOL! I totally understand where you are coming from - btdt! I have been praying for the people of Japan. I have to admit to purposfully not watching all the coverage because my heart just cannot take it. I, honestly, have to limit the amount of news like this that I see because it affects me so incredibly deeply. So, for my hubby's sake and my kids sake and my heart's sake, I do edit what I see. I still pray and do what I can but sometimes, I just can't let my heart go there. How selfish is that! So, take a deep breath and pray and then ask the Lord how to lead your efforts!

Aunt LoLo said...

Living Social had a deal for a few days where you could "buy" a $5 donation to the Red Cross, and they'd make it $10. So I did that. And prayed a LOT. My very first voice student (AGES ago) is 21 now, and is serving a 18 month mission...in Sendai. It took 36 hours for the Church to locate all the missionaries in the mission (they had to hike in to some cities, and cell service was down everywhere). She was one of the last to be contacted. She's fine, thank GOODNESS, but it was a very, very emotional day. (Incidentally, I found out a few days later, it took 36 hours to locate all 636 missionaries in Japan, and just a few more days for them to locate all but 1,000 of Japan's 125,000 members of our church. INSANE.)

And, here in Seattle? No radiation worries. *grin* But still, scary.