About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, February 11, 2011

An Upside-Down Day

Yesterday was an upside-down kind of day. I would say that I'm not exactly sure why, but that's not exactly true. Sort of. It started with the Husband NOT leaving for his business trip in the wee hours of the morning. Not that I wanted him to disappear for days on end or anything - because I totally didn't and, for the record, I'm glad the trip got canceled - but it did feel kind of weird to completely toss out my Exciting Thursday Night Plan of a secret date with... shh... my Kindle.

I know. I know.

Introverted, Geeky Bookworm ... also known as Tonggu Momma.

Oh, and my Real Name, of course.

In order to make up for completely disrupting my Hot Date with an electronic reader, the Husband took me out to lunch. You know, because his day was completely open due to the canceled business trip. He took me to the most romantic of restaurants: Red Robin. Y'all stop laughing now. I mean it. Because I'll defend Red Robin to my dying day. There is nothing - absolutely! nothing! - more romantic to a PMS-ing woman than a bacon cheeseburger, incredible fries and a milkshake.

I'm just saying.

(What? Too much information, Dad?)

On the way to the restaurant, the world turned upside-down again when we spotted a car on the opposite side of the street in that position, without any dents marring its sides. And by that position, I mean upside-down. Literally. I don't know whether it was medical emergency or if someone fell asleep at the wheel and drifted onto the curb or what, but it must have happened just a minute before we drove past because people on the other side of the median were running towards the single-car accident, and we saw one person actively dialing 9-1-1 while we drove past. I've never before seen a car completely upside-down, unless you count Hollywood movies. And maybe a handful of Indy films as well.

We would have stopped if a half-dozen people weren't already there, ready to help. Or if either of us had actually taken a CPR refresher course after 1999. (Oops. Totally getting on that one.) Y'all, I couldn't get that image out of my head for the rest of the day. I mean, you know it's a horrible accident when your prayers are for the accident victim or the surviving family members, if the person didn't make it.

I surely hope he or she made it.

I also experienced another upside-down kind of moment when I actually wished for the return of The Fluttering. I'm not sure if y'all remember the Tongginator's butterfly obsession from two years ago, but she's moved on to bigger and better things. After she finished her homework yesterday afternoon, she told me she needed my advice about something. And then she proceeded to Strut Her Stuff and asked for my opinion. She wanted me to evaluate her - and I quote - slinky walk.

Ah, the joys of public school.

(And no one freak out. I adore public school. And private. And home-schooling. But there are pluses and minuses to each choice, and evidently the Slinky Walk happens to be in the negative column for our specific local public school.)

Report cards arrive today. I'm hoping the upside-down thing turns right-side up. Although I'm pretty sure "cooperates with others" will remain a PR. Unless, of course, the Tongginator's Slinky Walk improves. Because then the boys just may decide that a bossy Tongginator isn't so bossy after all.

Heh.

Now I just gave the Husband another fake heart attack. And myself indigestion. I need to stop thinking about the Slinky Walk and go get another bacon cheeseburger. Because after eating a bacon cheeseburger?

Alls right with the world.

Even when you've got PMS.

16 comments:

Cedar said...

Ha! We have had more dates at Red Robin than any other restaurant, though I love the Teriyaki Chicken Burger.

Best wishes on Report Card Day!

Kim K. said...

Sounds like an intense day/week. Bring on a much easier Friday!

Sherri said...

Let me put your mind at ease, TM. I homeschool Olivia, and she has been working on her "walk". She doesn't have a cool name for it like slinky walk. But it's the same walk, I'm sure. After she asked me to watch it, I told her to look fierce, AND SHE DID! Too much ANTM for this 7 year old!

I totally fail in maintaining the homeschooling stereotype.

At any rate, I'm sorry about your Kindle date being disrupted.

Aus said...

Just random thoughts this morning - Kindles and bathtubs - that falls in the "don't" catagory....
Kindles don't make you geeky - as long as they are loaded the Clancy / Patterson / WEB Griffen and the like....
Indigestion, while perhaps uncomfortable for the person and their family does mean that life is pretty.stinkin.good.....

And as a guy - I'll stray FAR AWAY from the rest!

hugs - aus and co.

autumnesf said...

Kindles and Red Robin. Yes, you do live a dream life. But its got to be the California Chicken sandwich - no bacon. And don't forget the campfire sauce for the fries.

sara said...

Love Red Robin...Yum! They'll substitue a veggie burger for any actual burger on the menu, which is very rare. So I can have anything I want. Oh the choices!

And it's possible that a little coffee just came out of my nose when I read the slinky walk...so funny.

Wendy said...

As Chris Rock says, your husband's job is to keep that girl off the pole. Tell him he needs to get on the stick! After nearly 19 years of raising a daughter, my husband's own efforts have been touch and go at times (see my senior prom post, for example). Now I've got another one who, at six, is strutting her stuff and doing a free love dance like she's at Woodstock in the middle of bowling alleys for all the world to see. Oh, I wish I could tell you it gets easier!

Enjoy that burger!

Wanda said...

Ahhh....thanks for the chuckles. Hope you have a nice, quiet, uneventful week-end! Oh....and a few more...what was that?....bacon cheesburgers.

Sharie said...

Is the slinky walk a runway walk? Please tell me it's not bouncing down the stairs head over heals like a slinky;) HA HA!

Kate said...

Crazy day!

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Oh Girl! Better than having to deal with PMS while you are PMSing? I’m just saying…

Your story about your husband's heart was amazing; I can’t imagine what that was like for you guys, I am glad he recovered.

Annie said...

OK, I hate to admit this but I have never eaten at a Red Robin!!! I know, I know, hard to believe but true! I don't eat meat either but I do remember the days when I did and good ole greasy cheeseburger would hit the spot sometimes when nothin' else would!! Hehe! Hope the report card turned everything right side up again!

Dita said...

Baby....you NEVER cease to crack me UP!
Slinky walk....oh man, I can totally see that one.

PMS....I know that feeling and the upsidedownedness....I've been feeling like that myself for about 4 months now.

You are going to have me smirking all night long now....date with your kindle (uh, I just got the iPad so I totally get the electronic attraction!!)

xoxoxoxo
Dita

Buckeroomama said...

Now you have me craving for a bacon cheeseburger and these are hard to come by around here. Lucky for me those are not what I crave for when PMS'ing. Kettle-cooked chips, anyone?

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh my goodness...what a day!!!

Man, I'd never think "bacon cheeseburger" when I think PMS. All I want is chocolate cake. hahahaha

Hope it was great!

Canada to China and back! said...

That was quite a day! I was heartbroken for you when I read your date with your Kindle was broken! lol! I love my ereader dates :) You think after 13 yrs of marraige my husband would stop asking "Do you plan on reading tonight?" Um yeah! I do every night!


Yum-o, cheeseburgers and PMS certainly go hand in hand!


Kim