About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Linkage

As always, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with these links, but I believe they are important to consider. For those of you new around here, I'm an adoptive momma. Each Sunday I try to post links relevant to the China-adoptive community. I read some of these linkage posts while nodding my head in agreement... others stretch my mind as I seek to understand. Always, always, I consider them.

Finding a Balance Between Korea and My Real Life -- adult adoptee (Korea) 윤선 (YoonSeon) at Bearhugs and Rice Bowls... a heartfelt early morning post about her first homeland trip to Korea

Ignorant Questions About Open Adoption -- adoptive momma (China) Jessica Pegis at O Solo Mama... a mom who adopted from China asks questions about open adoption, inspired by last year's Open Adoption Bloggers Interview Project, and sparks many thoughtful responses

Musings About the Term "First Mother" -- first mother Adoption Critic at Adoption Critique... an excellent and thoughtful post about the use of the phrase "first mother" within the adoption community

It is not easy to care about the pregnant teen or the struggling mom -- adult adoptee (Korea) Melissa at Yoon's Blur... on the crux of the issue when it comes to solving the problems that heavily contribute to the orphan crisis in the first place

An Open Letter to an Adopting Mother -- adoptive momma (Ethiopia and China) Christie at Bushel and a Peck... a heartfelt, wise letter, written to waiting moms and those considering adoption

The Adoption Mystique -- adult adoptee (domestic, closed) Von at Once Was Von... an interview with Joanne Wolf Small, adoptee and author of "The Adoption Mystique"

Adoption Titles, Blogging Niches and Not Fitting In -- first mother Jenna at The Chronicles of Munchkinland... on not feeling included among parenting blogs and adoption blogs

Good Day/ Mean Post Anyway
-- adoptive momma (Ethiopia) Jamey at Zehlahlum Family... on how love is not a cootie shot, meaning that love does not cancel out attachment issues

Silence = Success -- adult adoptee (domestic, closed) Amanda at The Declassified Adoptee... on how silence doesn't always mean pain doesn't exist

i wish her birthmother knew... -- adoptive momma (China) the meaklims at Little Lilah Grace... on a recent conversation with a Chinese-Canadian acquaintance from church

A Civil Right -- adult adoptee (domestic) Peach at Neither Here Nor There... sharing the words of Adam Pertman, executive director of the Evan B. Donaldson Institute, about his views on an adoptee's right to his or her original birth certificate

A Homeland Visit: A Different Perspective -- adoption researcher and adoptive momma (Korea) Dawn at Creating a Family... sharing the thoughts of an anonymous teen about her homeland visit several years ago

Grand Mystery -- first mother Cassie at Adoption Truth... with a grandchild on the way, sharing her thoughts about society's role in adoption coercion

Heritage: So Much More That Geographical Approximation -- adult adoptee (Taiwan) adoption paradox with co-author Lika at Adoption Paradox... on the inability and/or extreme difficulty involved with constructing heritage as an international adoptee

In the eye of the beholder -- adult adoptee (domestic) Campbell at And other ideas and thoughts... on the variety within the adoptee experience

5 comments:

L said...

HI Stranger! Geez, its been forever since I've visited (*slap hand* bad me). LOVE your new blog layout - super chic!

HAPPY *belated* NEW YEAR! I've just had a great read, and wiping the tears from my eyes, as I laugh hysterically! BECAUSE i can relate to just about everything - and everything is so TRUE! (brown earmuffs/princess leia!!) Sorry. I did laugh (hard). Peeing my pants hard.

THANK YOU for being you.

:) Lee-Anne
aust2china

autumnesf said...

Sorry...but the "Its not easy to care....." article just makes me shake my head. In a perfect world this is 100% correct. But bottom line is that in most cases those adults/young adults made the CHOICE to have sex. That is why they are judged. And they made this choice without being able to sustain the consequence. The resulting babies should not be held responsible for that choice so they should be treated as innocent and receive consideration over and beyond the one that was old enough to make the choice. But requiring working class people to support that adult/young adult choice and give up yet more of their income to support a mother than cannot support themselves and their baby.....how is that right? Our family does this by choice - but I think its wrong to require the rest of the world that works for a living to support those that make a choice they can't sustain.

So to the world this is a money issue.

Sadly, adoptive parents know it is far more than that. Separating children from mothers IS all about the child.....

But how much of the general working public really knows that? Not enough. And again...it comes down to taking money away from the person that worked for it....to give to someone making choices they can't sustain.

I can't see how this problem will ever be fixed....so I do what I can to help improve the situation, with what little resources I have, knowing its not even a drop in the bucket. And if we could make more people aware and get more people involved...especially in their own back yards...that would be fantastic. But it will never be enough...because its all about money.

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

thank you for all your hard work TM!

Lea
xo

the meaklims said...

Bushel and a peck - I read and totally understood.

I remember having a really tough day/week/month when we first came home from China. I finally broke down and confided with a dear close friend. She said to me, "Oh yeah, I know exactly how you feel". Quite honestly, at that very second I felt like a burden had been lifted off me, because I felt that this friend had it SO together. It made me feel normal, I felt like I was okay, I could do this! :)

Jill

Jamey... said...

Woohoo! I feel like I just got noticed by Oprah! ;)