About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, January 3, 2011

In and Out

You know those seriously trendy, can't-understand-half-the-references, somewhat snarky In and Out lists that so many newspapers and magazines publish in the New Year? Yeah, well, sorry, but I just HAVE to go there. I can't seem to help myself, y'all.

(But at least I'm sorry about it.)

I know I could totally go down the uh-oh route by posting China-adoption Ins and Outs, but oh my lands, y'all, I'm not THAT snarky, despite popular opinion. So, in order to keep it fairly fun and lighthearted, with no possible way to offend ANYONE, I thought I'd focus entirely on the Tongginator's Ins and Outs. Boring for y'all, I know, but I thought it would be a good way to document her year.

Behold the Tongginator's 2010 In and Out List...

OUT IN
ballet
our much beloved Ms. Confetti
coloring in coloring books
Disney Princesses
"the Butterfly"
Dance & Learn Chinese With Mei Mei
perfume spray
baby dolls
writing herself notes
learning the ropes at school
Ivy and Bean books
waiting
whining when bored
wearing princess dresses all day
being six
becoming a Rainbow-ist
the sound of her dad's snoring
baths
quietly watching Jeopardy!
understanding why she was adopted
Mulan hair
obsessed with learning Mandarin
Tinkerbell
glitter pens
snow
listening to Mommy pray
her carseat
drinking hot chocolate
correcting Tonggu Momma
the swings
birdwatching
toy stores
lollipops
saying Mommy and Daddy
flipflops
playing Quirkle
whining while mom is on the phone
her Leapster
her "boyfriend" Zee
Kai-Lan
zipping her lips
painting at the easel
losing her library books
standing out in a crowd
taking Doggy public places
playing Go, Fish!
silly bandz
waking us up at 7:01 AM
playing Kids on Stage
rooting for the Redskins
"put that story about me on your blog"
Daisies
the Pirate Queen, fabulous 1st grade teacher
creating her own art
Felicity and Elizabeth
"jie jie," which means "big sister"
Cooking With Kids: Exploring Chinese Food
cooking spray
Justin Bieber's "Baby" (sigh)
writing thank you notes to others
jumping rope at school
the Puppy Place series
creating packing lists
reading when bored
wearing her pajamas all day
being six-and-three-quarters
owning her own cafe
The Sound of Music
showers
answering Jeopardy! questions - correctly!
NOT understanding why she was adopted
pigtails
obsessed with learning the song So Long, Farewell
Medusa
Smencils
snowcones
saying her own prayers
a booster seat
singing the song Hot Chocolate
correcting her teacher
the monkey bars
playing Angry Birds
Claire's stores
popsicles
saying Ma and Pa (I blame Little House)
fake UGG boots
playing Jenga
answering the phone
the family I-Pad
her "mystery boyfriend"
American Girl
zipping her own coat (yeah!)
painting her toenails
losing her teeth
blending into the crowd
taking her American Girl Ivy public places
playing Slamwich
playing Rock Band on the Wii
waking us up at 7:04 AM (progress!)
playing Apples to Apples
whining about how the Redskins always lose
"so what's your Sunday Linkage this week?"


What about y'alls little ones? What is "in" and what is "out" in their lives?

23 comments:

Kim K. said...

This is a great post. I really need to steal this idea for the 2011 year in review.

the 4 year old:
out: rainbows
in: anything batman related

the 12 year old:
out: anything Disney Channel related
in: Justice clothes and Justin Beiber

Sarah said...

love this

Megan said...

My list would look almost exactly like yours. I think Sadie and T could be the best of friends. I love having little girls the same age. I read your posts about T and realize that my Sadie is absolutely normal. Or maybe our girls are just abnormal together?!?!

Laurie said...

I think I might steal this idea- what fun! Our lists are similar- VERY similar. The ones I would steal first would be baths to showers, the content of what they read/watch/play with, swings to monkey bars, and oh my goodness, princess dresses every day to jammies!!!!! I thought it was just MY kid! One I'd add for us would be bows to headbands (boo hoo!) Now I'm off to start my own list! :)

Sharon Ankerich said...

A Great list and something to look back on next year! :) Happy New Year!!!
Joy to you!

Aus said...

Haven't bailed on you guys - just had too many demands on my time - but we've been reading - promise!

As for In's and Out's - let's just say I'm glad my family has never worried about 'trendy'!

hugs - aus and co.

jen@odbt said...

What a great idea! She has grown so much in a year - not sure if singing Justin Bieber is something you want on any list though ;) There's a lot of that song in this house too.

LucisMomma said...

I would venture to say that many parents don't know their kids this well.

I can see her opening a cafe. That would be cool. And My DD loves Claire's, too. :) But I'm glad mine still likes the Princess stuff. Oh dear, she just said she likes Justin Beiber, too.

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

what a bittersweet list!

for me:

OUT: sitting on my fat butt
IN: BEING MORE ACTIVE!

YIKES!

Lea
xo

Mia_h_n said...

TM, these posts are so much fun! I love lists and recaps (and all things organized and simplified).

No kiddoes, so my list:

Out: Bieber
In: Bieber

Aka:

Out: Funny
In: Complicated (and a little funny)

Bieber's not that bad. Let me know when she wants to start dressing like the kids in The Sound of Music! Then we're talking no good.

Ma and Pa?? Hahaha! :D Nah. I love the books, too, and still read them from time to time!

Wendy said...

Oh, I am so going to have to steal this idea (of course, I'll have to do two). Super post.

Rebekah said...

You are so creative!!! I always enjoy reading your posts.
In our family, Disney Princesses are out and Barbies are in. Not sure how I feel about that one.

Thank you for the encouraging words you left me. Waiting is hard. I cannot imagine waiting as long as your family has been waiting. What a blessing it will be for your when your little one is finally home!!!

Blessings to your family in 2011. It is sure to be a year full of happiness.

Gail said...

What a great list, TM...
I had to laugh because miss Grace has about 90% of the same things in common now with your girl!
Beiber fever is in full force here...;)

prechrswife said...

Great post! I would really have to stop and think. My biggest girl is in that really transitional time where she likes a combination of big and little kid stuff.

lmgnyc said...

Oh I am so sad to see Mei Mei on the out list. Maybe you should get #9. My DD is addicted to #9. Seriously. She hasn't gone a day without watching it at least twice since she opened it at Christmas.

We heart Mei Mei. As you know. ;-)

Alyson and Ford said...

Oh, we are so BEHIND you all!! AA is just loving rainbows, hasn't really gotten into Kai-Lan yet, she just learned the word "bored, boring" so haven't had to deal with that yet, hasn't seen Toy Story yet, we don't have a Wii...... and it goes on and on. I am saving this post as I can't wait for AA to catch up!!
Waiting for your CNY list too..... crafts for rabbits are next!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

Sharie said...

We just discovered Smencils at my niece's birthday party in November, CRAZY!
Angry Birds became her favorite iPod game over Christmas break although she just got in trouble for playing with sticky fingers, so make be taking a break for awhile:)
We went from Leapster at 3 to ds at 4 to wii at 5 and back to the ds/ipod touch (when she can get it away from me) at 6. Funny how my love of gadgets seems to have passed on to my daughter.
I still have iPad envy...hoping the rumors they are dropping in price are true:)

Annie said...

Love it TM!!!!! Sorry I have not been around much! Just NO time!!!! Sigh!

Kristen {RAGE against the MINIVAN} said...

Please do a China adoption in and out list. PLEASE.

Kristi said...

So there's hope that my big girl will grow into wanting to stay in her pajamas all day? Awesome!!!

Chris said...

Wow, too funny!
But what a great way to track how your little one has grown and changed!

Aunt LoLo said...

This is so great!! Ins and Outs...Well, I just noticed yesterday that my laundry pile is no longer as big as Siu Jeuns! (Meaning...when he's messy, he no longer broadcasts it all over my person. Hooray!)

3 Peanuts said...

This is making me cry. I read it before and could not bear to comment on it because I am having some issues with my little Katie Ru growing up.....I don't want to leave the land of tutus and coloring books yet.... I am working on a post about this now and linking here:)