About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chinese New Year Links

Chinese New Year begins in just a little over two weeks, so it's time to store away the Christmas decorations (like we did *cough, cough* Monday) and pull out the red and the bunnies. The Year of the Rabbit begins February 3rd!

CRAFTS AND ACTIVITIES

Kim of Musings from Kim K. always does a great Chinese New Year crafting post, and this year's does not disappoint. Her Chinese New Year tree looks pretty adorable, too.

Mama King of 4 Crazy Kings has a fun rabbit paper chain for older kids.

Last year Asian Mommy pointed me to the Canon website, where you can make your own Paper Craft Lion Figure by printing out the pattern on Matte photo paper.

I do have Ad Blocker - which worked well on this site - so click at your own risk, but I just had to include links to make-your-own printable Chinese New Year Word Scramble and Word Search. Each come with ready-made lists that you can alter or expand.

Make a lucky red envelope with The British Museum's Chinese New Year WebQuest activity.

Asian Mommy came across this lovely Plum Blossom Tree craft.

I posted some fun crafts to do last year as well. A few are tiger-specific, and won't work well during this year's upcoming rabbit celebrations, but some are great no matter the zodiac animal.

Watch the DVD New Year in Ping Wei, a documentary about Chinese New Year celebrations in a rural Chinese village.

Check out this video tutorial on how to make an origami rabbit. Although origami was made popular by the Japanese, the Chinese actually invented the art of paper folding.



And for those local to the Washington, DC area, be sure to check out My Asian Kid for a list of activities (most free through various county libraries) related to Chinese New Year. Plus, the FCC-Maryland Chinese New Year party is fairly big, with lion dancers, Chinese opera performances of excerpts from The Monkey King, age-specific activities, crafts, a silent auction and more. The registration form is here. Deadline is February 1st.

BOOKS AND SUCH

My list of the Tongginator's favorite Chinese New Year picture books is still around, although we've added a few books to our collection. New Tongginator favorites include Ed Young's Cat and Rat, despite it's somewhat-frightening-for-young-children illustrations, and The Wishing Tree by Roseanne Thong.

Consider supplementing Chinese New Year books with classics starring beloved bunnies in honor of 2011: The Year of the Rabbit. A few that come to mind include The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams, The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter, Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney, My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann, Marshmallow by Clare Turlay Newbury, Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems and The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown.

Check out Language Log's cute Year of the Rabbit cards that boast some clever Chinese character/ word play.

For all y'all who homeschool, Microsoft has a "Productivity in the Classroom" page entitled the Year of the Rabbit. It contains computer-based science, social studies and language arts lesson plans on all things rabbit.

For older girls, don't forget the American Girl book Happy New Year, Julie! by Megan McDonald. I only mention this because the Tongginator insisted. And yes, she remains obsessed with All Things Ivy.

To learn more about Chinese New Year customs, all y'all need to do is Google it and hundreds of pages will pop up. But if you're looking for great resource books, check out Good Luck Life by Rosemary Gong or the children's book Moonbeams, Dumplings and Dragon Boats by Nina Simonds. And some of my favorite, more obscure informational web pages include this one at Laowei Chinese that explains niu year puns (heh), and this one at Foreigners in China that further describes common Chinese new year symbols.

FOOD

Jaden of Steamy Kitchen never disappoints with her classic recipes through the years. I also love Jen's list from last year of CNY recipes at Tiny Urban Kitchen.

From the on-air professionals: TLC has a great article on 10 Chinese New Year Food Superstitions. It talks about the must-haves and tells you what foods to avoid. And The Food Network of course got in on the action, sharing a list of favorite whole fish, noodle and dumpling recipes created by their stars.

I love this little white rabbit bento I found at Bentolicious.

I also love these 2010 Chinese New Year cupcakes from blue cupcake, which I discovered through Asian Mommy. I'm wondering if they'll repeat this idea, switching out the single tiger for a cute bunny.

Oh, and Kim of Musing from Kim K. also has a post listing Chinese New Year Dessert Ideas.

10 comments:

Cedar said...

Wow! That is a lot of great links and ideas. Thank you.

Sharon said...

Geesh, you never disappoint, that's for sure! Thanks for all of the great things to check out!

Andrea said...

Thank you for posting this! I will check out the links to use with my preschool class.

Jennifer said...

Excellent list! So many things to do and not much time left to get it done!

Anonymous said...

Last fall, Grace Lin had a tutorial for a Rabbit Lantern:
http://bluerosegirls.blogspot.com/search?q=rabbit+lantern

Polar Bear said...

Thanks for the great list! I have been trying to figure out what to do this year and have been having trouble because Cub is too young for most things. With your picture book list and Kim K.'s great ideas I have some ideas of things I want to do for Cub's day care class. THANKS!!!!

delucchi family said...

Thanks TM a vey informative posting!!
Love Jules
xx

Asianmommy said...

Thanks for mentioning my site among all of your other great links. Your post is a wonderful resource for Chinese New Year!

Mama King said...

Thanks for the link. I have been meaning to let you know I appreciated your article about traveling back to China with LT. I plan on taking Em back to Korea several times at different ages. I was pleased to discover it is suggested. I am sorry that there were any negative comments. I think you know what i think they can do with their comments... I love your blog and any one who reads you knows OLT is about heart, humor, reason, honesty and love. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Heather said...

oooohhh....I needed this post. I was just hunting on the internet for preschool activities for Chinese new year for Jake! I think I may hit the chinese grocery for some more help too! We're debating on whether to head to D.C. for New Year parade and dinner....wish it wasn't so stinkin' cold! Ya know?!