About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Top 10 Christmas Memories of 2010

Lest you think a horrible Christmas influenced our recent Big Decision, I thought I'd share with y'all some of this year's holiday highlights. Because we had a grand time despite the sickness that enveloped Tonggu House this year. We experienced many special moments and received (or gave!) some jaw-droppingly awesome gifts.

(Oh my lands, did I just use the word awesome?)

(What is this? 1986?)

(Then again, who says "oh my lands" anymore?)

In order to convince y'all of the excellence of our holiday, I decided to steal Autumn's idea and create a top ten list. Actually, because I am obnoxious, I decided to not only pilfer Autumn's idea, but to double the fun by creating TWO top ten lists. I'll post the second tomorrow. So, without further adieu...

Tonggu Family's Top Ten Special Moments, Christmas 2010

1. We went caroling in my mom's neighborhood on Wednesday night. And y'all? We sounded TERRIBLE. Talented, we are not. We did, however, manage to increase our numbers by two when we sang to a couple brand-new to Tonggu Grammy's neighborhood. In fact, not only are they brand-new to the neighborhood, they are brand-new to this country. Originally from southeast Asia, they needed us to explain the concept of caroling, but they felt charmed by the experience and gamely decided to join in. I loved meeting them!

2. (said in a total squeal) We had a white Christmas! As much as I loathe the endless snow this past year, nothing beats a white Christmas.

3. The Tongginator and her two youngest cousins sat beautifully for the Christmas Eve worship service at my sister's church, their eyes as round as saucers as they watched the Nativity Story unfold before them. And the child who played Herod? May very well grow up to be the next Jay Leno or Conan O'Brien. Which sounds kinda like a horrific casting mistake - King Herod as a comedian - but somehow this little guy made it work, and not in a sacrilegious kind of way.

4. We experienced a slight problem with Christmas dinner. I mean, if you consider flames six inches high inside the oven a slight problem. You see, the monkey bread from our Christmas morning brunch dripped icing and butter all over the inside of the oven. And when we preheated the oven for Christmas dinner... well... my Aunt P looked over and asked, "is anyone concerned that the oven is on fire?" If you are my Facebook friend, you already know the flames expired soon after we turned the oven off, but we still had the extinguisher and baking soda at the ready. Just in case.

my BIL, ready to save the day, if necessary

5. Tonggu Grammy arranged to have Santa send the Tongginator a video message via the Portable North Pole. Watching the Tongginator's face as she sat on Tonggu Grammy's lap, listening to Santa's reminders and comments, made me want to giggle with joy.

6. It was a landmark year, y'all. Because my thirteen-year-old nephew? Totally and completely beat me at Scrabble. It was shocking. It was stupefying. It was... humbling. You see, I am a bit of a Scrabble brat. I flaunt my wins. If I lose, it's only to my Momma. And to have a thirteen-year-old beat me... when! he! didn't! even! cheat!... I'm gonna hear about this until I'm lying on my deathbed. Which is probably a good thing.

7. We discovered the identity of The Candy Cane Thief. And y'all are never going to believe it.

Meet the Colonel, candy cane thief extraordinaire.

8. My sister bought her entire family new Christmas stockings this year. And we are all praising Jesus for said fact. Because their former stockings were pitifully small. Like, so small one could hardly fit a candy bar in them. Not to mention the fact that my sister's youngest didn't even HAVE a real stocking. Seriously. Last year my sister had to do some creative stocking reassignment to make things work. But this year? My sister's brood possessed stockings that rival the Empire State Building. And we - Santa's elves - are much happier.

9. The Tongginator kept calling our Christmas dinner "the roast beast." It tasted way too yummy to be relegated to "roast beast" status, but thankfully our Christmas dinner chef, the Tongginator's Aunt KitKat, didn't take offense to the Tongginator's words. Probably because she loves the Grinch as much as anyone, even though she'd rather dress like Mrs. Claus.

my sister KK with my aunt

10. We so enjoyed visiting Flat Iron Farm on the night before Christmas Eve, mostly because it touched our hearts to know that they offer this as a free gift to the community every year. The lights are an impressive sight, so if you are in Saint Mary's County, Maryland during the Christmas season, be sure to stop by the farm to drive past the lights, view some train displays, pet a few animals and take photos with Santa.

15 comments:

Kristen {RAGE against the MINIVAN} said...

A FARM FOR FLAT IRONS!? That does sound *awesome*

jennifer said...

Love this list! Sounds like a great Christmas!

prechrswife said...

Sounds like you had a great Christmas! :-)

LucisMomma said...

Lots of fun! My DD totally rocked as one of the sheep in our church's play...and you shoulda seen Mary--she looked absolutely thrilled to be a mommy (these were all K-2nd grade). NOT! She was hilarious.


http://justmythoughtsexactly.wordpress.com/

lmgnyc said...

Yeah really, who says "Oh my lands y'all"? I can tell you, no one north of the Mason-Dixon line says that. uh uh. No siree.

But besides the odd comments, the list was great and all but the photo at the end was a real tease. I thought for sure you were going to give us a holiday gift of a photo of YOU. But alas, it was only your sister and Aunt. Oh well. Maybe in your next list of top ten? As in TOP TEN THINGS WE WANT TO SEE? hahaha.

Just kidding. Loved the list. ;-)

Sharie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharie said...

Sounds like an AWESOME Christmas to me. And I say awesome ALL the time:)

Football and Fried Rice said...

and the #1 Christmas Memory of 2010???!!!!!

it's your last one as a family of three.

And THAT deserves an "Oh My Lands!" if ever there was a need for one ;-)

Happy New Year!

Buckeroomama said...

We did the Santa video from Portable North Pole, too, and it was magical seeing the awe and wonder on the kids' faces as they listened to Santa talk to them and address them by name. :)

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful Christmas - oven near-disaster and all! :)

Claudia said...

Sounds like a great Christmas! And yeah - I can't see a Christmas in our future when our kids are going to wake up in their own beds, and that makes me a bit sad. So I totally understand your no-travelling decision! It would be SO much easier if families just lived close enough to walk, don't you think?

Kristi said...

We did the Santa messages this year too! It was AWESOME ~ and I don't care if that is a word from 1989...

Cavatica said...

Oh my lands, that is an awesome Christmas!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! I just read your post below about your decision for next year and I think it is great.....especially since you are going to be a family of four by next Christmas!

This was our first Christmas alone. Usually we have family stay with us for about 4 or 5 days and although we missed them, it was kind of nice and cozy to have just our family on Christmas morning. I think it was really good for Reagan too. She would have been completely overwhelmed!

Thinking of you and wishing you the Happiest New Year! 2011 is your year my friend.... just a few short months away!

xoxo,

Lisa

Wanda said...

Mmmmm.......wonderful Christmas wrap-up.

Wishing you all your heart desires in the New Year. I know this will be an (dare I say it...) awesome year!!!

Mia_h_n said...

Sounds like you've ended Christmas, classic style with a bang :)

Coming up with a list like that is a good way to remember the good if the holidays have been a little rough. I'm with you on #2!