About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, December 6, 2010

12 Years Together

Twelve years ago yesterday, the Husband and I stood before our family and friends, pledging to love and honor one another forever and a day. I didn't think it was possible for me to ever love him more than I loved him at that moment, but of course I was a naive 24-year-old at the time. Because I DO love him now more than that December day in 1998. Twelve years of sharing life with him - its ups and downs - built a much stronger bond than I ever could have imagined.

Twelve years ago yesterday, I didn't know...

that he still thinks I'm beautiful, even when I'm vomiting in the air or I'm sick and haven't showered for three days
he'd agree to ballroom dance lessons just to make me happy
how very hard he works to provide for our family, especially during a national financial crisis
he emotionally protects me from relatives who treat me poorly, even at great personal cost
what an excellent, excellent dad he'd become
how he'd encourage us both to completely recommit to our marriage after watching two couple friends struggle to rebuild their families after affairs
he lets me sleep in nearly every Saturday morning
that he isn't ashamed to cry in front of me
he somehow manages to forgive me again and again... and again... even after 12 years of mistakes
how it would feel to almost lose him... twice
he will never make me drive through a snowstorm
that the man loves show tunes, as long as they're sung by the Glee cast
what a helpful elephant* he is on the rare occasions we shop together
we'd reach a point where we can talk without speaking a word
how often he'd have to patiently answer my relatives' many computer questions
I could feel safe in his arms, no matter the circumstances
that he'd be the one to infuse our marriage with lots of romance, despite... well... me
his strong sense of stewardship would influence me so greatly
that I can turn him on without doing a thing
he'd laugh when I post photos of him like this on the internet
what an excellent plumber/ carrion remover/ jack-of-all-trades is he
how much he secretly hates the game Scrabble
he loves looking at even bad pictures of me
that he'd earn the nickname "The Boy Scout" at work because he is so ethical
his incredibly loyalty gives me such a sense of peace
how he'd allow my relatives, and later a friend, live with us long-term, with nary a complaint
he is strong enough to say yes to me, and strong enough to say no
that - 12 years later - he'd still be the same man in all the ways that matter


* elephant is the Husband's word for any male significant other who follows along, holding heavy packages while the wife/ girlfriend shops

28 comments:

Mia_h_n said...

Happy Anniversary, TM!

I'm only on 11½ years, but I could make the exact same list. Well, maybe not EXACT but you get the drift ;)
I, too, was very naive about love but I feel extremely blessed to have found someone who only love me more every day and vice versa. Mind you, we're in no way perfect but we are perfect for us which is the best kind of perfect to be :)

Kim K. said...

What a beautiful tribute to your husband. Happy Anniversary.

Keating Mom said...

Beautiful post! Happy Anniversary!

Laurie said...

What a very sweet post! He sounds like a wonderful man, and I hope you have a great time celebrating your anniversary! I'm also a '98 bride! :)

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

I love all these reasons. My fav is, "he is strong enough to say yes to me and strong enough to say no".

Absolutely one of your most beautiful posts. Thank you, for sharing this.

Lea
xo

PS. such a good reminder of what I have also.

lmgnyc said...

Congratulations to both of you. :-)

jen@odbt said...

Happy Anniversary! He is just as lucky/blessed to have you too. Enjoy celebrating!

Annie said...

Oh TM, that was so sweet!!! Happy Anniversary to you both!!!!

Aus said...

Good morning TM - Glad that TD fills that list - makes him OK (that's 'man talk' - but I won't define it - you already know what it means!)

Marie and I have been together going on 30, and married for going on 28 of those - and like you - I wouldn't trade a minute of that time!

hugs - carpe diem -

aus and co.

Carla said...

Wonderful post TM! Congratulations as well!!! :)

My personal favorite, which I would have to add as well, "how often he'd have to patiently answer my relatives' many computer questions"

and well, so many of these on our list would fit my Dh and you reminded me again that I don't appreciate him nearly enough.

and you thought you were a naive 24 year old. We are celebrating, um, 14 years this year and I wasn't even 24 when I had JM 12 years ago....

Tricia said...

What a wonderful list! Happy Anniversary!

Rhonda said...

Happy anniversary!

prechrswife said...

Happy Anniversary, you two! Have an amazing day!

Cedar said...

Happy Anniversary! We celebrate our 13th on Monday--not many December brides out there! I don't think I'll do a post like yours; I would be copying too much of your post. I haven't almost lost my husband and neither of us are good at romance, but the rest of the list is spot on--oh, and he isn't secret about his hatred of scrabble.

Johnny said...

Happy Anny!

Heather said...

Happy anniversary!

Amy said...

Wonderful! Happy Anniversary!!!

Girly Girl Mommy said...

Happy Anniversary, TM.

I was 24 my December eve wedding in 1998 too. 12 years for us in 2 weeks.

Celebrate, girl!!

~Kelly

sara said...

Happy anniversary!

And how wonderful to have such a good man, one that you still love so much after 12 years!!

YoonSeon said...

Awww, happy anniversary, guys!!! Hope it's wonderful and the Tongginator does something special! ;-)

discombobulated said...

Happy Anniversary.

Aunt LoLo said...

Happy, happy anniversary my friend!! Congratulations. *grin*

Sharie said...

Happy Anniversary. There aren't enough good happy marriages out there - glad you have one of them:)

LucisMomma said...

Happy Anniversary! You do have a wonderful husband. Sounds like you two are well-matched!

Really enjoying your music list from Tuesday's post.

The Gang's Momma! said...

Yay! Happy Anniversary! Hope you had a wonderful celebration - it's a huge accomplishment when two very different folks blend their hearts and lives and visions into the ONE FLESH that the Word speaks of - impacts the Kingdom for His name's sake!!!!!!

Mahmee said...

Such a lovely tribute to your man. Happy Anniversary!
M.

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

Happy, happy anniversary!! What a magical time to get married! Wishing you many more happy years together!

kitchu said...

happy anniversary a little late. what a wonderful tribute to an amazing man. we need clones of him for this world~!