About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Embarrassing Parenting Moment #9,732

[If you haven't read yesterday's comments, you might want to check them out. Y'all are a wise bunch... I especially noticed how several of y'all nailed it - we've known this family for years, although we are not close with them (umm... obviously). But from all we know of them, yes, it IS insecurity on their part. Sad for them, but absolutely tragic for their daughter.]

But now, in order to not put myself too high on the pedestal, I thought I'd share with y'all my Embarrassing Parenting Moment #9,732. It happened yesterday. Our Tuesday morning routine was the same as it always is. The Tongginator woke me up by breathing over me at exactly 7:01 AM, fully dressed, with her bed made. (And yes, y'all, she has morning breath. ThanksVeryMuchForAsking.) Bleary eyed, stumbling around in a fog of fatigue, I brushed her hair, prepared her breakfast, packed her lunch, got ready myself in 5.3 minutes and walked her to the bus stop.

And no, I didn't wear pajamas to the bus stop.

Harrumph.

(I wore sweats.)

(And no, I don't think Dory noticed. At least, I hope not.)

Through all of that, I didn't catch it.

It wasn't until after school, during the Tongginator's snack time, that I discovered something pretty significant. I glanced over at the Tongginator as I walked past her, finally noticing the cause of my Embarrassing Parenting Moment #9,732. Any guesses?

Y'all, I wanted to SINK through the floor.

The Tongginator went to school dressed in one of her nicest outfits: a gorgeous Hanna Andersson dress we bought second-hand, with a matching pair of over-priced tights we didn't buy second-hand, and some cute, casual Mary Janes. She looked precious, absolutely precious, if I do say so myself.

Except for one small thing.

It's actually a really small thing. Smaller than my thumbnail, but with teeth. Y'all, the Tongginator went to school with her dress completely unzipped almost half-way down her back. And it remained like that... All. Day. Long.

And I call myself a mom.

19 comments:

Kim K. said...

That's hysterical and I mean that in the nicest way possible!!!

bbmomof2boys said...

When you get to 10,000 you get a prize!!!!!!!!! Keep reaching for that goal!

Hugs,
Carla

Tonggu Grammy said...

OK, so I'll make you feel better or maybe not. I once sent you to PreSchool (2 yr. old class) and forgot to put panties on you. The teacher, in a school where I also taught, came and told me mid morning. She figured YOU had taken them off. I had to admit that I had started for the dryer to get some clean ones and apparently got sidetracked. Feel better????

LucisMomma said...

TG wins this one, TM. And why, oh Why didn't someone else notice and zip Miss T up?

I am so impressed that Miss T gets up, dresses and MAKES HER BED. I don't think any of my kids have EVER done that without being told to.

Sarah said...

Yep, TG wins this one! The Tongginator's hair covered up part of her back so it wasn't so noticeable, right? Right right? :)

lmgnyc said...

I'm with LucisMom, why didn't anyone else zip it up? Or aren't the teachers allowed to touch a child's zipper?

Holy cow TM. That's uh ..... embarrassing. *grin*

But the Togginator made up for it in spades with the made bed and getting dressed all by herself. Cuz you know the battles we have over clothing at my house....

Sharie said...

I now know where you get your laundry issues. TG crack me up!
Zipper Smipper - at least she had clothes on and made it to school:)

Wendy said...

Oh, if you are anything like me, you're just getting started! The Togginator is only 6 years old. There are so many new opportunities to engage in Mommy Fails in the future. Trust me on this one; I've been embarrasing myself and my children for 18 years. When a friend and I were traveling cross country by car, I actually brought Becky, who was 3, into a restaurant in a little dress and no underwear. I didn't realize the mistake until she sat down all spread eagle in the booth. When Lily was newly potty trained, she had to use the bathroom BADLY while we were in a grocery store we'd never been in before. To make a long story short, she did not make it to the potty in time and by the time we got there there was an explosion in her pants. They were irreparable and I had nothing else to put on her or wipe her with other than a couple of paper towels in the bathroom. I had to walk my marginally clean, naked-from-the-waist-down child up and down the aisles looking for my husband, who had the car keys. When Becky was a baby she exposed my entire breast to the clerk at the pharmacy while I was trying to write a check. But my favorite Mommy fail of all was when Lily was a baby and blew her nose and I loudly proclaimed, "Lily, what a good blow job" at an indoor play place. Everyone in the room froze.

Hopefully, over time, you'll do better than I have! Good luck! LOL!

Wendy said...

Oh, had to share this one, though it's not a moment of mine. I've been teaching for 20 years, so I've seen kids come to school in all kinds of get ups and in all manner of dress and undress, but the best story I have is one from a couple of years ago when one of my kindergartners wouldn't take off his hood for the Pledge of Allegience. He had his head down with the hoodie pulled as far down as possible. When I could not persuade him to take off the hood, I brought him out into the hallway alone to see what was going on. Fearing that maybe he had been abused, I gently lifted the hood from his face to reveal a perfect Hitler moustache drawn in black PERMANENT Sharpie marker above his upper lip. His mother wasn't able to wash it off, so she sent him to school that way.

Kristi said...

At least you didn't send your daughter out in public with leggings and a long shirt that kinda covered her bum when she had holes in the bum of the leggings. Cause THAT would really be embarassing. *I mean, If it happened of course...*

And yeah, what was going on with the teacher if she didn't zip it up?

Mahmee said...

Snort! Ha! I think my diet soda just came out of my nose.
I'm still stuck back on the part where your sweet girl is all dressed with a bed made before she even wakes you up. Really? That's not fair.
M.

Sunday Kofffon Taylor said...

Yep, you are a mom alright!

autumnesf said...

THat is a bad parenting moment??? Oh no. I'm so hopeless.

CC said...

Nobody zipped it?? Really????? I'm helping little ones with this kind of thing all.day.long. I find that hard to believe......

Janet said...

Well, she would fit right in if she lived in Uganda. Fully grown adults there don't zip the back of their clothes all the way. I never really got a straight answer as to why.....

As for your last post....wow. I DREAM of Adam and Jeane asking me about it so we can talk. They never say anything, and when I bring it up, they don't ever really answer. I often wonder if they "get it" yet....

Wanda said...

So...I'm guessing that the T didn't feel any kind of draft all day long? Interesting! And for the life of me, I can't believe no one told her or tried to do it up. Huh....what's the matter with people. (excuse my rant...thanks, I feel better now.)

So, you were distracted while waving good-bye to her as she mounted the bus steps. That would have been the only time to get a full view of her back - and you were probably talking to someone and waving with your hand and not your eyes. I get it!

You're excused. (lol)

kitchu said...

it is so wrong that i'm laughing this hard. it really is.

you are a mom that knows how to keep her sense of humor about the small things in life instead of letting them get to you. by that token, you are one AMAZING mom.

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Because of Ella's sensory issues, this is pretty common in our household!

Aunt LoLo said...

I have to say....Tonggu Grammy's story beats yours. ;-) (This coming from the Mom who regularly takes her kids out in all sorts of odd outfits. Pink too-large crocs on the one year old dude? YES PLEASE. A dress that has been worn, then worn to bed, then worn, then worn to bed again? SURE, WHY NOT, AS LONG AS WE'RE NOT GOING TO CHURCH.)

You're going to have to try harder, TM. ;-)