About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, October 18, 2010

Williamsburg and Wasps

Y'all guessed right... we headed to Williamsburg and Jamestown this week. My parents treated the entire family to a three day holiday in the historic area. Yeah, we're spoiled. And yeah, the dresses are ADORABLE, aren't they?

the Tongginator's cousin M&M

Tonggu Grammy made them, y'all.

I mean, in case you didn't figure that out. Like, if you've never visited this blog before. Because pretty much anyone who knows me even a little realizes that I am most decidedly uncrafty. As in been fired from using a glue gun, can barely use scissors, don't match colors well uncrafty.

We experienced a whirlwind three day tour.

cousin love


learning about little peoples' chores
during the Children's Orientation Walk


children ages ten and older drew water from the family well


for some strange reason, the Tongginator TRULY appreciated
the local water fountains more than usual... hmm, wonder why?


at one point, the Tongginator asked me why we couldn't
ride in a horse carriage ... when I gave a noncommittal
answer, the Tongginator - in a very loud voice - replied,
"I know why, Momma. It's because you said you're too cheap
to pay for it, right? Momma? RIGHT????"


my teen and tween nephews, just where they belong (heh)


see what I mean? *grin*


asking questions as only the Tongginator can


this photo just might be one of my favorites from the weekend


learning all about blacksmithing


blacksmith experts


And after all of THAT, do you know what the Tongginator deemed the weekend's most memorable moment, y'all? I'll bet you'll never guess. (I mean, seeing as how y'all weren't even there or anything.)

the Tongginator's lunch plate on Saturday

The Husband trapped a rather aggressive wasp (bee? who knows?) by upending his glass of ale on the Tongginator's lunch plate. Because the bee even tried to go for food entering the Tongginator's mouth. So we saved her - and ourselves - by imprisoning said wasp during our outdoor lunch at The King's Arms Tavern.

And that?

THAT is what the Tongginator remembers.

Money well spent, Tonggu Grammy and the Colonel.

21 comments:

Kim K. said...

What a cool family trip. Love the outfits. I'm envious of anyone who can sew. Your mom rocks. How nice that the extended family could join too. Have a super week ahead!

bbmomof2boys said...

So...I've decided that your mom needs another daughter!! :)

And - I spit my coffee out!! "you're to cheap to pay for it!" OMG! How funny is that??

Glad you guys had a great time - the weather was perfect for it.

Hugs,
Carla

Aus said...

Great weekend! Are you sure that the T wasn't talking about ME and the buggy ride? ;) That area is on my 'list' of places to take the kids for a vacation as they get older - a rich part of their 'new' culture!

hugs - aus and co.

Laurie said...

The dresses really made this post- they were so cute! Glad the kids had so much fun!

jen@odbt said...

Great outfits - they fit right in. I think I already told you this but all my kids remembered from our time in Williamsburg/Jamestown -- chickens and horse poop! So much for the history lessons.

Rhonda said...

Bwahahaha! The Tongginator rocks, gotta love any kid who yells something like that.

Oh yeah, I totally wasn't thinking of *those* kinds of wasps. ;)

Wendy said...

Sheesh! You've got one of those super moms like my mother. The clever ideas, the gorgeous hand-made clothing. Sucks when your mom makes you look bad!

Looks like you guys had a blast...and perfect weather to boot!

Sherri said...

Williamsburg was one of my favorite family vacations ever. We did a spur of the moment Spring Break trip and we booked a condo off an auction site and got it for $1 FOR THE WEEK!!! It was a really lovely condo!

Anyway, we adored dressing the kids up, going to hear Martha Washington speak (my now 21 year old son STILL talks like her occasionally). Great fun. I want to do it again.

Kind of makes you yearn for simpler times.

happygeek said...

Well of course! Wasp hunting is enough to set anyone buzzing with excitement.
Nice stitching TG. My favorite part though was the runners with the dresses. LOVED it.

sara said...

Holy cow, that little girl makes me laugh!!

What a fun trip, except the bee of course.

Sharie said...

OK - I am truly beginning to think Amelia and the Tongginator are cut from the same cloth:) Crack me up!

prechrswife said...

Looks like you had a great time! (And LOL at the "too cheap" comment. :-) )

Andrea said...

We love Williamsburg! We usually go on Veteran's Day when it is free! Haven't been in awhile but when we go again, I'm going to ask Tonggu Grammy for that dress pattern (to give to our Gma because I don't sew... not even a tablecloth). She looks adorable in the dress and bonnet.

Debbie said...

Ahh, the simple things are what they like best. I haven't been to Williamsburg in 20 years, but it was always my favorite family vacation. Great pictures.

3D said...

What fun!!

Love the costume.

Keep smilin!

Lisa said...

What a beautiful weekend for you all ~ LOVED LOVED the photos and the gorgeous frocks!! That just seems like the right word, cuz they just seem a bit more than the average dress!! :)

Anonymous said...

I just noticed how close you are to referral! How exciting. I hope it speeds up, another 14 day matching period would be nice. We are LID Aug. 1, 2006. So close yet so far...we live in Canad and at the time we were doing our paperwork someone in Government was on Vacation so our approval took 16 weeks instead of 4-6 weeks. I try not to dwell on that fact too much but it's really frustrating! Anyway, love your blog!
Our girl is in Grade One as well!

Lisa V

Patty O. said...

Looks like so much fun. And I love the dresses!

Aunt LoLo said...

Love the dresses!!! I got to visit Williamsberg when I was in the sixth grade......

Looks like LOADS of fun!

The Gang's Momma! said...

Ooooh, the King's Arms. Mmmmmm - The Boss took me to a B&B in Wm'burg for my 30th b'day (oh, so long ago!) and we had a wonderful, intimate dinner there on our last night.

It's such a wonderful experience for families - the history and the slower quieter pace. LOVE it. Glad you all had fun.

Lauren's Nana said...

What a great experience to all of you and miss T just cracks me up:).
Can I borrow Tonggu Grammy, she really rocks in everything, I will only keep her for a year or two until I get caught up on some things that she is so great on and I am NOT:). Love all the pictures and the fact that miss T thought everyone should know how "spendthrift" you were about the carriage ride, cheap just sounded bad when I typed it:). Take care, I love your blog!