About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Train to Somewhere

So I'm getting kinda nervous about BlogHer, y'all. Wait... I didn't already tell you I was going? Oh. Well, I am. I probably didn't mention it because, well, because I'm nervous about it. And also probably because I'm thinking that BlogHer might be a little like going to the Maryland Renaissance Festival.

For those who haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about, the Maryland Renaissance Festival is this huge extravaganza that goes on each and every summer, ALL summer, just a short drive from my house. All sorts of people attend, from families with school-aged children to retired high school drama geeks and Lord of the Rings fans; you name it, they come. And some of the attendees are really, really into it. I mean, they talk in Medieval English the entire day, y'all. And they arrive decked out in gorgeous costumes that cost hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars. Like I said: really, really into it. Me? Not so much. Not for the Renaissance Festival (although I do enjoy it).

And probably not for BlogHer either (although I hope to love it).

My sensory self is feeling overwhelmed at just the thought of traveling to New York City, much less actually doing it. I've never been to BlogHer before, but - from what I've heard - it's less of an informational, geeky conference and more a networking, beauty pageant kind of conference. And I'm kinda nervous about that. I mean, if "kinda" stands for freaked out beyond all recognition. "Why?," you might ask. Well, let me tell you.

One. I'm a total dork. Really, you don't need to know much beyond that, but I'm going to overshare anyway. Because I'm like that. (Dorky.) Two. I have major sensory issues, which often cause me to look somewhat freakish in a large group. I'm also an extreme introvert pretending to be an extrovert. Sometimes I'm good at pretending... and sometimes I'm not. Enough said. Three. I've never traveled to a major city by myself before. Which is kinda sad, seeing as how I'm 36 years old, but there it is. Four. Most blogging gals tend to wear makeup and get pedicures and stuff, whereas I... don't. I'm gonna stick out like a sore thumb. Five. Did I mention that I'm a total dork?

I'm freaked out. I'm even freaked out about my name tag, which proclaims my dork status to all and sundry. Yep, y'all... said name tag actually reads "Tonggu Momma." I mean, how else is anyone gonna know who I am otherwise? Not that people who attend BlogHer actually read my blog. Unless... do they? Is anyone listening in here who is heading to BlogHer this weekend? (Please say yes. Please say yes.)

I leave tomorrow.

And did I mention that I'm completely freaked out by it all?

Having said all that... I'm excited I'll have the chance to finally meet most of my fellow adoption writers from Grown In My Heart. I'm even rooming with sweet Carissa and the ever-cool Claudia. AND Kristen is up for an award, which is pretty amazing. Plus, she and Christine created an opportunity for adoption bloggers to meet up. I'm hoping to make some new friends.


I'll be there. Will you?

35 comments:

Mia_h_n said...

You are indeed a very brave woman. My palms got sweaty just reading about leaving for a big group of strangers on your own!

But on the other hand it sounds really exiting. It'll be fun to see if you'll get to meet any of your readers :) I hope you have a good time.

Aus said...

It will be a blast - you'll have a lot of fun and will meet some really cool folks! I would kind of 'stand out' at BlogHer - considering I'm a BlogHim - and besides DefCon is more my speed (a 2X/year hacker convention!) - but being surrounded by ankle biters bugs me!! (and our nametags have our 'handles' on them too - don't feel goofy!)

Can't wait to read a couple updates while you are there - and I'd join you for lunch - except I won't be there - and don't like NYC much anyway! ;)

hugs - aus and co.

autumnesf said...

Wish I was going...simply because its nice to have a sans make-up dork to hand with. Ya know? Hah! But then, having two dorks hanging out together might be even dorkier. Right?

Aw, who cares. Hugs from someone who gets it!

Elouise82 said...

Wait, most female bloggers do makeup and pedicures? Oops.

I hope all your fears are blown away and everything is better than you could have imagined!

(And I have to confess, having just watched the first Lord of the Rings for the millionth time last night ... that Renaissance Festival sounds pretty cool.)

Stefanie said...

What?!? You're gonna do GREAT!! I bet, and I'm not a betting woman, that you're seriously going to have an awesome time. Really.
Just be yourself... you're totally lovable! Make-up or not. Sensory issues or not.
I know I sure love you :)

Dawn said...

Well, I might have been there had I known YOU were going! Seriously, you will do fine - and you ARE going to have a wonderful time at the conference and in NY. You will bring back pictures, right?

Be blessed!

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

enjoy!

Lea
xo

Jboo said...

How cool that you are going! Enjoy!

Janet

Debbie said...

I wish I was going to be there. Alas, college tuition took all the money this year (and the next, and the next, and the next...)

Myrnie said...

Have fun!! I'll bet that conference is just chock full of women who are convinced they are *much* dorkier than you. You'll be like a rock star!

Wendy said...

LOL!!! I blogged about our local Renaissance Festival a couple of months ago, too (http://lilybelles.blogspot.com/2010/05/ohwouldnt-it-be-nice.html). Those folks sure do get into it, don't they? It's a people watcher's dream come true!

Hope you have fun on your trip!

Chris said...

Awww, you will have a blast!

Meeting new friends, rooming with really cool people....you'll do fine!

Traveling to big ole NYC by yourself...I am totally impressed!

Really, we are suppose to get pedicures??? Hmmmm, I guess I missed the memo!
:)

Briana's Mom said...

I think you will do just fine and have a great time. It sounds like a wonderful event. I will be doing all things Briana's birthday for the next several days including a birthday party on Saturday. I'll pray for you if you pray for me. ;)

kitchu said...

i would have come JUST to meet you (and see NYC again). :) you will have a blast. it's always the anticipation that kills, isn't it?

kitchu said...

ps. i'm a dork who where's not a STITCH of make-up like... ever... and am a total introvert but can "pretend" extro on good days.

lmgnyc said...

Tonggu Momma, I'd love to meet you but I don't know anything about BlogHer.

Don't worry about NYC, it's not as intimidating as people think it is. NYers are actually very friendly, I swear!

Oh and uh...I don't do pedis and I go light on the make up too. ;-) Have fun.

Linda said...

Enjoy Claudia!! She is amazing!

Corey said...

Not going! It has always sounded a little like the 9th circle of hell to me and I think me and my social anxiety would just hide in my hotel room all weekend. Not good. BUT! Enjoy Kristen, she is awesome. And anyone that doesn't read your blog just doesn't know what they're missing yet, girl!

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

I saw a while back on your sidebar that you were going, so I wondered how you were going to cope. I mean, how ARE you going to keep your face covered the whole time? (I have this image of you checking all photos to make sure they have something covering the face--like all your Miss T photos--and woe to the individual who snaps one full face. . .) : ) Good for you. I've never been, but it kinda sounds fun. (I'm a lot like you, however. I am VERY shy in person, especially in a large group setting. AND I am a HUGE dork. Hubs is not, so he gets a kick out of it. . .sometimes.) Good luck and just enjoy your "me" time. That's my advice.

Andrea said...

Have a great time! Hopefully they will have more to eat than turkey legs. ;-) I had an ex-boyfriend take me to the Ren Festival once. Let's just say that he fit in quite well there. Hence why he was my EX-boyfriend. ;-)

Kayce said...

You will have an amazing time TM! I'd love to go if I was anywhere close to NYC!

prechrswife said...

I'm not going, but my little sister's best friend from college is going. I'll send you a link to her blog. :-)

Kim K. said...

Have a wonderful time. Safe travels!

Patricia/NYC said...

GIRRRRLLLLL...NYC??? Really??? You know you have to tell me when you're gonna be here in my town, right? Details! Details!! lol!

pickel said...

I can't wait to meet you! And, don't forget the boas...I have the tiaras. :)

AwesomeCloud and family said...

There are overwhelmed people at every con. I know; I used to volunteer for onsite reg at a very large con before Cloud came along. And before that, I ran the snack bar at a smaller con. There were overwhelmed people there too. You're in good company.

Also, bloggers wearing makeup? What? Whatever for?

Sharie said...

I assume you're taking the train so at least you'll avoid the taxi stand at the airport. During our 5 days in NYC this spring, that was my worst experience and when my sister flew home last weekend she stood in line there an hour at 11 pm.

You will have a blast and if you seriously overload I highly recommend bathroom stalls - that's where I go to deep breathe - I just hope no one has been in there stinkin' it up:)

Wanda said...

I wish!

You'll do great. Just get your butterflies to fly in formation, is all! Have fun!!!

Anne said...

You have an awesome time -- and please do update us all frequently from there so we can live vicariously through you! (because until they hold BlogHer in the next corn field over, I ain't a-goin!)

Amy said...

No one told me bloggers are supposed to wear make-up and get pedis! I never know this stuff:) I'm definitely not a cool blogger then.

Seriously though, the list you gave are only a few of the many reasons I love your blog. I feel like I can relate to you! Most other people feel like dorks too. Seriously. And something tells me you aren't really a dork, because you are one of the funniest people I virtually know.

And let's face it, they are going to love you. Why? YOU are awesome!!!

Aunt LoLo said...

I told Lo Gung last night, "Tonggu Momma is going off to a blogging conference. It's in NYC." He started laughing, because he IMMEDIATELY knew why that would bother me.

HELLO! I JUST LEFT NYC TWO MONTHS AGO!! Grr. Oh, and I would have only agreed to go under the understanding that I would SHADOW you, day and night, because I wouldn't know anyone else, and, umm...i'madork,too. :-P

Have fun for me, m'kay? And put in a good word...maybe next year, Seattle can host. ;-)

And HAVE FUN!

Football and Fried Rice said...

I can't wait to hear about it - what a gift!

Elizabeth Channel said...

I will not be there, sadly, but I cannot wait to hear your authentic perspective on the event! And I did work at the Renaissance Festival in CO during my early 20s.

It's frightening I know...

Patty O. said...

Can't wait to hear about it! Obviously, I will not be going. I think it may already be over, actually. I would have loved to have gone, just to meet you and mrsbear, but alas, it is not to be.

Janet said...

Had no idea it was even "a thing". But if I was invited, and I was rich, I would totally go. Right up my alley. :-)