About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, July 15, 2010

I Wasn't Crazy After All...

Yesterday the Tongginator and I hosted the playgroup to end all playgroups. Five children from Ms. Confetti's kindergarten class descended upon our house like locusts at exactly one o'clock yesterday afternoon, with the last munchkin waving goodbye at a little before four o'clock. I'm not ashamed to admit that my knees, they were a-shaking as I watched the mommas drive away after dropping off their little ones, with their radios blaring the lyrics "I'm free to do what I want, any old time." Yes, I was all alone with the little monsters. And yes, I was scared, especially since it was a mixed gender crowd and the sky looked stormy.

And now I know y'all are asking yourselves, "why, oh why, did Tonggu Momma do that to herself?"

Well... it's because that was my Grand Idea for helping this family during their time of crisis. I don't know them well enough to help the way I did with Ring and Rosie, but I can do some things. I can invite their son, whom my husband has dubbed "Twizzler Boy," to a few playdates. I can ease their stress a bit. It's not much, but it's something.

And now I know y'all are asking yourselves, "but five, Tonggu Momma? You invited FIVE children there?"

Well, call me crazy, but I didn't think Twizzler Boy would want to receive a make-over, participate in a fashion show, discuss the latest edition of Fancy Nancy or debate over Giada versus Barefoot Contessa. Which means I needed to invite a few boys and a few girls to round out the day.

Fortunately, the skies remained cloudy, but dry for most of the afternoon.


And fortunately, the children were Absolute Angels. Also fortunate was the fact that Twizzler Boy has two older sisters, so playing dress-up? Not a big deal for him. Yes, he put on a dress. No, none of the other boys did. But no one made fun of anyone for anything. Which was probably a good thing, seeing as how the Tongginator wouldn't find that funny.

I DID enforce the whole "you must change in the bathroom when playing dress-up" rule, which led to the use of the word modesty. One of the little gals present had never heard that word, so I asked the Tongginator to define it for her. She replied, "modesty means don't get naked in front of boys."

Well alright then... we'll go with that. *grin*

Another verbal gem from the day was just a little tip I received from the Holy Spirit before all of our guests arrived. I felt nervous seeing Twizzler Boy's momma again, simply because I feel awkward about what to say or not say. I mean, I really don't know her all that well. And the Holy Spirit gave me a little nudge, whispering "don't greet her with 'how are you?,' but instead say, 'it's so wonderful to see you.'"

Such a small thing, but it made a world of difference. Her protective walls didn't come up. And her face actually glowed with joy for a minute as she dropped off Twizzler Boy. She told me that he'd been talking about it for two days straight and felt so grateful that he could escape their house for even just a few hours. And I could tell she felt blessed that I treated her "normally" instead of forcing the "your daughter has brain cancer; how are you doing?" conversation. She felt blessed, but I? I felt even more blessed.

It really IS better to give than receive.

And yes, I know that - if you are of the praying sort - this family would truly covet your prayers.

18 comments:

Aus said...

You should read Francis of Assisi -he had many such thoughts - including praying for those that asked his prayers right when they asked (lest he forget!). You're 100% right - normal is what people in crises need - and normal is what they should get....you remind me of Francis from time to time - and that's a good thing (and reading the Omnibus of Sources will take you a couple years!!) ;)

hugs - and thanks for offering 'normal'!

aus and co.

Football & Fried Rice said...

oh wow. what a huge difference we can really make just by choosing our words - and listening to the Holy Spirit! Thanks for sharing how you were blessed by your obedience - and you survived the little monsters too!

bbmomof2boys said...

You - YOU - are a very sweet person.

Hugs,
Carla

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

your a good mommy, you really are.

Lea
xo

Chandra said...

(hug)..got a chill and some tears here...I'm pretty sure you made the world a brighter place for a couple people :) (hug)

Tammie T. said...

Thank you for posting. You are a good person, and your posts help me to be a better one. Glad the kids were all cooperative! Thank you.

Janet said...

The family has my prayers.

Also, six kids is no big deal....;-)

Christina said...

You are truly a wonderful person. I am praying for them!

prechrswife said...

Sounds like a great afternoon, and we'll be praying. :-)

Logical Libby said...

Done. And done. It's the least I can do after you took on five kids for them.

The Gang's Momma! said...

Hero. Bloggity Crush. You on a little blogging pedestal. :)

Seriously, you rock. Having just walked through an unimaginable crisis this winter with a dear friend, I know more now than ever what the treasure of normal is. Further, the treasure of practical support is priceless. You did both for your friend. You are a gem.

And really? 20 posts? I knew I was behind, but TWENTY of your posts have been sitting in my Reader, waiting for me. Ugh. I've been fairly off kilter since the last day of school. I really have to do something about that. But these last 20 have been great. Gooooood stuff.

The melamine post made me teary and sad. Ugh. I will pray for your friend's daughter. We had to have Li'l E tested also, especially since Microtia is often also connected to kidney deformities which could be a double whammy if melamine had been present. Thank the Lord, she's clear. We are ridiculously grateful.

Briana's Mom said...

You really are such a sweet person. It is amazing what choosing words wisely can do. What a fun play date. :)

"Modesty means don't get naked in front of boys." Blunt and to the point - I like it. :D

Wanda said...

You just put legs to prayer. Nice!

Annie said...

Wonderful TM!!!!! I will definitely continue to pray for them!

Sandra & Steve said...

Love coming here, keep learning new things, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I am stealing "wonderful to see you" thank you.

Suzy said...

Oh, bless you for giving us an example to follow. Too often we're stuck with wanting to do or say something but just not knowing what. You've got the gears turning in my mind now.

Asianmommy said...

"It's so wonderful to see you." Very well put.

Aunt LoLo said...

Small, tender mercies are the best kind of miracles.

Oh, and...yeah. That playdate sounds like a recipe for Crazy Pie, but I'm glad it went well!! It must have been a Tender Mercy for that mother! Does that make sense? Sometimes He doesn't HAVE to send angels, when we listen instead.....

*hugs*