About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hazy Days of Summer

I completely intended to write a thoughtful post for today, but the not-so-lazy days of summer are catching up with me. Without a school schedule to tie her down, the Tongginator has been running us to and fro and every which way. My days are blurring together with the haze of chlorine and melted fruit popsicles.

I had Rosie's twins Pocket and Posies with me last week, which always feels wonderful and challenging at the same time. Because a house with one munchkin morphing overnight into a house with three munchkins pretty much exhausts most anyone. Well, except for all y'all who already have three munchkins... or four... or five... or whatever. (Yet again, God explained to me last week that I? Am not meant to be the momma of a large family.) I could share story after story with y'all about our adventures last week, but instead I'll keep it brief and just tell y'all that Pocket graciously dusted the husband's office last week. His office filled with all manner of electronic things such as laptops, printers, computers and scanners.

Did I happen to mention that Pocket dusted said items with actual powder? As in make-up powder? No? Well, he did. Fortunately no electronics were harmed during his very sweet effort to clean our house.

On Saturday we said goodbye to sweet JC and her family by hosting a cookout at our house. The twins and their dad Ring also came. And poor Pocket and Posies, who don't have the most varied of diets, had to suffer through my food nazi self one! more! day! Can you believe I tried to pass off watermelon as a dessert?

Yeah. They couldn't believe it either.

Which is why we allowed all of them to stay outside until well after 8 o'clock, waiting for the ice cream truck to arrive. I truly believe there should be a special cell in the local jail for our ice cream truck guy. Because he routinely announces his presence on our street during the summer months after 8 o'clock. Often it's closer to 9 o'clock. With four kindergartners, four first graders and two second graders on our street, you'd think the man would have more sense.

Sometimes I dream about chasing after his truck, shooting him with a water gun I've filled with fudge sauce. It would totally serve him right.

Then, on Sunday, we said goodbye to even more friends. We knew they would be moving soon because they told us that sad fact just after Christmas. They began looking at houses across the bridge about four months ago. And then, last week, after months of scoping out houses along the eastern shore of Maryland, they found it. The perfect house.

In Branson, Missouri.

Yeah. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Except it was totally a God thing. And no, I don't understand it. I'd ask God about it, but we aren't on speaking terms when it comes to this subject. I'm quite possibly a tad miffed about it, you see.

These past few days, the Husband has slaved away watching the World Cup and playing golf, since he's still waiting for his security clearance to come through before he starts his new job. The Tongginator has taxed herself mightily playing with friends and bobbing around the pool. I'd say that she was swimming, but I think one actually has to move from one location to the next to qualify as a swimmer. And our dear gal? Well, she's got all the moves... and she looks super stylish doing them... but she somehow manages to remain in the exact! same! place! during the execution of said moves.

I can only guess that she's posing for the press. Wouldn't want to ruin a shot by moving out of focus, now, would we?

And I? I have been busy chasing after the Tongginator. I plan to be busy the rest of the summer chasing after the Tongginator. Which means for the next two months I shall blog when I have time... it may be every day, it may be once a week. If a post screams out to be written, I shall write it. But if it doesn't... well... I'm not gonna stare at my laptop for all hours of the day when I have a daughter to cherish. And chase after. And occasionally chide.

Okay, okay... maybe a tad more than occasionally chide.

After all, it IS the Tongginator.

But I'll be around. When the summer schedule permits.

28 comments:

Kim K. said...

Enjoy every bit of your summer!! I completely understand needing to scale back on blogging.

Aus said...

Yep - ya know - there will be time for insightful, thought provoking, deeply sensitive, cleverly written stuff in the fall - for now - it's time to be light and have fun!

hugs - aus and co.

autumnesf said...

There is nothing better than a summer with the kids once they start school! Enjoy! I sure am!

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

Just enjoy your summer. Of course you will be missed. But, we will be back at it soon enough.

Lea
xo

LucisMomma said...

What Number 6 said. Enjoy your time! And I'll love "seeing you" when you post.

The swimming description is hilarious. That's my DD exactly.

Patricia/NYC said...

ENJOY your time together!!! I know exactly how you feel...we are only on day 3 of vacation & I am exhausted by Miss k! ;)

But...time is fleeting & they are only this age once!

Exhausted or not, I'm savoring every moment...if the ones that drive me crazy!! lol!!!

prechrswife said...

Enjoy your summer! :-)

Dawn said...

Soak up every second of these summer days. As the mom of two teens (who are just as busy as T) - I'm often left at home as they drive away on their own. (Sigh...) We've been swimming together on several occasions but I'm certain that deep down (if they'd admit it) they'd rather go with friends.

Not complaining, really - just observing the natural progression of independence.

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

Branson's less than an hour away from my mom and dad's (actually, it's closer to a half-hour). This is God's way of nudging you to come see me. . .or not. : ) But if you ever get out this way. . . Enjoy your summer!!

cw said...

We will miss you over the summer. I understand about the time. I haven't decided how much to do over the summer although after the autism blow up on RQ I am finishing up a post on autism and IA but after it gets posted later this week hopefully it will all be fun and games for the summer

Christina said...

Sounds like fun - enjoy it!

Terra said...

Again. Beautiful pages you have here.

Misty said...

oh,i'd be sore at God, too. to have the BEST BLOCK EVER and have several friends moved away would be so hard! and for the record, my sister lives in an apt complex that has the same problem w/ the late night ice cream truck driver! no one needs their kids high on sugar that late!! hehe

have a lovely summer!!! cherish these young and wild days w/ the T b/cs i know my nephew already seems more grown after his first year at kindergarten as well.

Kristi said...

I'll miss my daily laughs, but I know that you'll have plenty more for me come fall when your whirlwind is back in school.
Oh, and cantaloupe is frequently a dessert at our house too...

Wanda said...

Funny how they say chasing a 3-7 year old will keep you young. What exactly do you think they mean?

Don't answer that. Just enjoy "keeping young"!
:)

Annie said...

Enjoy TM and I totally understand! With the kids staying up a bit (ok much) later at night, I find my time on the blog getting less and less!!!

You can send the evil ice cream man our way, along with the water gun filled with chocolate fudge sauce!!! YUM!! We don't have one in this neighborhood - which now that I think about it - do we even qualify to be called a neighborhood if we have no ice cream man!!! I don't think so:):)

Sharie said...

I love it! Enjoy your summer:)

happygeek said...

Watermelon as dessert? You meanie!!!
What's next, celery as a snack?
Madness I say, Madness.

Nicole said...

What a coincidence! My husband has also been slaving away watching World Cup and golfing. AND actually working so I haven't seen him much lately. Perhaps he shall send me a postcard from the golf course? Or...the couch from which he is watching the World Cup. All of which is to say I understand.

Patty O. said...

Oh, yes, blogging definitely goes by the wayside in the summer. The irony is, I typically have more topics and fun stories to tell in the summer, but there is way less time to actually write the posts.

Hope your summer continues to be fun!

Mahmee said...

Yes, enjoy those fun days of summer! As far as the ice cream man....sounds like a good target for some water balloons! Yee-ha!
M.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Except for your special friends moving......it sounds like a wonderful lazy summer.....I would love it!

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh, do we EVER understand about the Occasional Blogging Habit 'round here.

Have a great summer, my dear. Enjoy your chlorine and your popsicles! May your pools be salt and your popsicles be strawberry...

Elizabeth Channel said...

Such fun! So sad to hear about your friends though...you've had a lot of friends leave lately and I know how hard it is!

I know you all will have a fabulous summer!

Debbie said...

I'm so sorry your friends are moving. That is always so hard.

Dita said...

Boy, can you WRITE, TM! I found myself hanging on every word...every word, that is, when I wasn't howling and falling off my chair. I love how TD is slaving away watching the World Cup...we have one of those guys over here too! And, Little T...well, I can just see her in the pool waiting for her "close up".
Sorry your friends are moving away. I hate when that happens to perfectly GREAT friends...but the thought of you chasing the ice cream man down the street with a Fudge AK-47....well, now that takes the cake, er, uh...the CONE!

Happy, Happy, Happy Summer!
xoxo
Dita

Edie Mindell said...

Have a wonderful vacation with your family. It is completely understandable. Children are always on top of our priorities as loving mothers. Enjoy your summer with your kid.:-)

Christie said...

Enjoy your summer! We certainly are - why just today we polished off a large ice-cold watermelon...errmm, just me and Chubby Cheeks (aka Keira). EEk! I heart summer time! Blog can wait...