About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, July 12, 2010

The Fourth on the Twelfth

Yes, y'all, I'm still alive. No, my daddy the Colonel didn't kill me, although he graduated to leaving now threatening messages on my Facebook page about how I should let my momma win at Scrabble. Maybe it's just me, but it's not really a win if I LET someone win, right? And won't Tonggu Grammy savor her victories all the more if she knows she won fair and square?

(Or maybe it's just that I'm competitive.)

(And making excuses for myself.
)

(Plus, the Colonel wouldn't hurt a fly. He just likes to bluster.)

I disappeared last week because we were having way too much fun to break for blogging. I know y'all might assume that my life is typically just one big party... and that would be true, but only if the party occurs in the laundry room and the guests are dirty clothes. Or maybe possibly in the kitchen, with dishes for attendees.

But last week?

Last week my cousin Cinderella and her Possible Prince Charming came to visit.


They stayed almost a week, hence the lack of blogging. While the Tongginator fell in love with Possible Prince Charming last year, it took this visit for the husband and I to truly give our stamp of approval to this young man. I mean, he is Canadian. (Heh. Love you Janet. And Rhonda. And Canuck K. And Jay. And every other Canadian I know.) But now the husband and I (and actually my entire family) can say with Full Certainty that we really, really like Possible Prince Charming.

Unfortunately, their visit spurred the return of Miss "Flower Girl" Tongginator.

Thankfully, last week's firecrackers and family festivities managed to distract the Tongginator at least temporarily, which allowed Cinderella and Possible Prince Charming to escape back to Boston without hearing too many hints about upcoming nuptials. That didn't stop the Tongginator from whining about nagging for suggesting a wedding as soon as we dropped the happy couple off at the airport.

As for the Fourth of July, we did what any sane person who lives near our great nation's capital does at this time of year: we left town. We didn't go far - just to my parent's house - but it helped keep everyone sane, especially the Tongginator.

Because my neighbors are crazy on Independence Day.

The Tongginator saw fireworks for the very! first! time! this year. Because loud noises and late hours? Aren't exactly easy for a little gal with sensory issues. This year, however, my daddy the Colonel took us all out on the boat, so we could see the show from miles away. Which means no crowds. And quieter booms. And a happier Tongginator.

Tonggu Grammy kept her entertained, along with my cousin Cinderella. Because I spent several hours fighting seasickness. And general wimpiness. Because we all know that I? Am a wimp. But I still managed to take a few good shots.






So how did y'all celebrate our nation's birthday (or Canada Day for all y'all Canadians out there)? Any important news, other than the fact that referrals still aren't here? I've been off-line all week, so please, oh please, fill me in on all of your bits and business.

14 comments:

Keating Mom said...

Oh, Yeah a post! I've been having withdrawal!! :) We went down and watched fireworks after a baseball game. Not the game, just the fireworks! Mr. Z. enjoyed the fireworks with earplugs in, and hands in ears ;) But, hey, whatever it takes! Glad you are enjoying your summer.

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

I love that you love Canadian's! I have missed your post but understand the need for summer fun!

Yes, what's up with those da.. referrals?!!!!

Lea
xo

Sherri said...

My 16 year old daughter, whom I have frequently compared to your daughter, used to have SUCH issues with fireworks. OMG you brought back such memories with this post. Why did I not think of taking her out on a boat to watch????

We went to a local outdoor shopping mall for fireworks and we were teasing her about whether she needed to be taken to the car during the fireworks. She did outgrow it, so hang in there.

I'm glad you had a nice visit and that there wasn't another reason for the lack of posting.

I missed you.

Briana's Mom said...

What an awesome 4th you had! I would love to see fireworks from a boat one day. If you get a chance to check out my blog, you'll see our 4th festivities. We managed to see fireworks away from massive crowd too. "Sigh of relief"

I understand the whole stamp of approval thing. You have to watch out for those Canadians you know. Snort. Hope there will be wedding bells soon - for T's sake. Poor flower girl deprived kid. :)

Wendy said...

My husband purchased untold amounts of professional quality fireworks and blew them off in our yard without managing to amputate a limb, which was something of a miracle. To end the fireworks aerial show, he lit 4,000 firecrackers at the end of the cul de sac. It took our teenager, unhappily, over 2 hours to clean it all up. The six year old did not partake in the festivities. She is terrified of the noise. She managed to sleep through the whole thing.

Other than that the only other interesting thing that happened was that I found my older daughter's entire extended family (birthmother, grandmother, aunts, uncles) on Facebook while doing a little "detective work"!!!!! Pretty exciting stuff!

Kim K. said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your summer break. Looks like a fabulous way to spend the 4th. We're flying to Orlando this afternoon. Work is sending me to a conference and I'm bringing the family. Aside from the touristy stuff, we're also hooking up with a couple of other adoptive families. Can't wait!!

Norah said...

What an awesome way to see fireworks. I got stuck in 2 hours of beach traffic to see ours. We only live 15 minutes (tops) away. BTW, I love all of the pictures in this post!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

It looks like you had a wonderful 4th!! We watched the fireworks one year from the water in our friends boat and it was the best!!

Good thing The Tongginator was not here....we hosted the family 4th of July picnic....fireworks and all in our own backyard/cornfield:)

I figured you must have been on vacation as I have not seen any posts popping up. Glad to see you are back from your little break!!

Lisa

Annie said...

So glad you all had a good day! We had a very low key 4th. Just went swimming and watched the fireworks (from a safe distance) at the neighborhood dock. We were able to see all the displays going on around town without the big noice:) Oh yeah, we also enjoyed some brownie sundaes - yum!!!! Missed your posts:) Did the Tongginator cut her hair?? It looks shorter.

Sharie said...

Glad you found a way for T to catch the fireworks. We didn't to this year - it was pouring rain until an hour before and I just didn't want to deal with the crowds.
Amelia and I went to the children's parade in the morning and handed out copious amounts of gum - then to a family reunion for a few hours. It was a nice low key 4th:)

If T needs to call Amelia and talk to her about being a flower girl I'm pretty sure she would talk her out of it. Talk about sensory overload (for both of us). Her favorite part was "Walking down the aisle to see the bride" The nails, hair, itchy dress (which she shredded dancing like a crazy woman), she could have lived without:)

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

have you read the junie b jones book about being a flowergirl? Oh, quite hilarious. you really should read it (with the T). glad you're enjoying your summer!

Kristi said...

Fireworks on a boat from the lake are THE best way to see them. Takes me back to a summer of my high school days...

Mahmee said...

Yay TG with the fireworks! Nice milestone. R attended her very first 4th of July show as well. Lots of work for a 20 minute show but, I always enjoy it and so did she (and Daddylicious).
The boat (albeit the sickness) looks like some fun!
M.

Janet said...

Boy, I'm behind on your posts! Now I finally get to read! Busy, busy...:-)

We celebrate Canada Day with a picnic, then the fireworks at night. Altogether a wonderful day. :-)

As for Possibly Prince Charming, if he is Canadian, well....then he's a keeper. :-)