About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, June 10, 2010

Vocabulary Parade

Every year the Tongginator's elementary school hosts a Vocabulary Parade in June. And now I know most of y'all are asking yourselves "what the heck is a vocabulary parade?" Well, basically it's a method of torturing parents during full-blown student spring fever, with said method resembling science fair projects, but with words. The fliers went home several weeks ago, asking students in grades kindergarten through fifth grade to think up "interesting" words whose definitions or pronunciations would translate well into costumes, unusual hats or posters.

(You totally feel sorry for me now, don't you?)

The Tongginator decided that she wanted to be a Know-It-All Encyclopedia. You know, because she's such a know-it-all she loves to learn new things. And yes, I realize this is a Huge Surprise to all y'all.

she chose to do Encyclopedia, Volume R for
obvious reasons ... I mean, what else would
you expect from a Rainbow-ist?


my little Tongginator ENCYCLOPEDIA

a closer look at some of her R words

the "pages" in her encyclopedia (words found in her childrens' dictionary)

Some of the children at her school really, really get into this. You can truly spot The Creative Types, I must say. Here are a few of my favorites... (And please forgive their freakishly blurred faces, but I don't know their mommas.) (Oh, and also please forgive the plethora of horrible photographs. The parade moved inside, to the fluorescent, crowded hallways, when a downpour began.)

the WORD WIZARD led the parade

one of the Tongginator's classmates acting as a DETOUR

SOUR-ness from a sweet little gal

a rather bloody-mouthed CARNIVORE
(by the way, this is Zee, the Tongginator's "boyfriend")

future Bill Nye, the Science Guy as a PARAMECIUM
(and yes, I has to look it up, too, y'all)

this little gal with a CONCUSSION cracked me up

loved this one's BEADY eyes

flashbacks to Hawaii after seeing this guy's MAGMA

this young man collected an ASSORTMENT of hats

a young lady born to parents who are ALIENS in the United States

can you even see this young lady in CAMOUFLAGE?

this young lady looks SUSPICIOUS

as does this young lady, who is INCOGNITO

loved the ZENITH on this hat

and this poster about Horton a PACHYDERM

I could go on and on all day, sharing with you the many creative vocabulary costumes and posters these talented kids came up with. But I won't. Because I know not all of you are Word Nerds like I am. What can I say except... wanna play Scrabble?

29 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

Oh, I loved this, TM! I wouldn't have minded at all if you'd posted MORE!! What an awesome activity for the kids (and their parents)! :)

Kudos on the Tongginators' get-up! Really cool!

Claudia said...

Oh wow.. some of these are so impressively ABSTRACT.

Mia_h_n said...

Wow, I've never heard of this before. I don't think we have this over here, but it looks like such a fun idea :) I'm gonna suggest to my mom who a school teacher :)

Rhonda said...

What a fun school she goes to!

I love, Love, LOVE the Tongginator's outfit, but I'm totally shocked she didn't use the word ribbon! Oh, and I totally think she should go into jewellery design, I loved the ring...

Aus said...

I think it's a super project - and worth passing on to other schools! But I'm shocked you'd have to look up paramecium - word smith that you are! ;)

hugs - aus and co.

happygeek said...

I LOVE the words that some of the kids came up with.
Paramecium TOTALLY made my day. (I used to teach science).
I am certain this project made you CRINGE when it came home however, what with June being such a quiet month:).

Anne said...

AAAHHHHH!! AWESOME!!!! How is it even possible I did not know such things as vocabulary parades existed?!!

Magma?! Beady?! ZENITH?!! I can die now. My world is complete.

Mama.The.Dragon said...

LOVE this! And by this i mean both T's costume and the parade idea!!!! LOVE it!

My daughter would love to be a Rainbowist too!!! There have been SO many conversations (on so many different levels) about how to actually become God or Mother Nature, so that she can be in charge of making rainbows!

jen@odbt said...

What a creative and fun idea for learning. I might have to suggest this to our principal...save it for the long dreary winter days. PS: Love that TG has silly bands on every limb :)

Kris said...

this is SO cool. as a lover of words, my kinda parade :O)

Patricia/NYC said...

Fabulous idea!! And some of those words/costumes were soooo creative!!

Kristi said...

Now that is a really cool idea! I love some of the creativity those kids came up with!

Sharie said...

Love this - I'm surprised your little one wasn't a hadron supercollider:)

Kim K. said...

Very cool. I'm showing this one to my hubby. I think his elementary school would totally get into this. PS. I love TG's rainbow!!

The Source said...

Hey those were some GREAT ideas! Looks like a fun way to get the kids involved in learning.

LucisMomma said...

That is such an odd assignment. How on earth did all you parents figure out such cute, creative ideas? Good job, TM and all those kids, too!

(and I love Scrabble and all kinds of word puzzles--but that is one odd assignment)

Briana's Mom said...

Seriously, that is one of the cutest and most original assignments I have ever seen. And these parents are crazy creative! Love T's costume - too perfect.

Asianmommy said...

Adorable! I especially loved the paramecium.

Mei Ling said...

OMG Bill Nye the Science Guy!

I used to witness videos of him ALL THE TIME back in grade 8 science! Which was like ... 8 years ago...!

Ahahaha holy crap!

Laurie said...

I've never heard of this either, but oh my gosh, I LOVE It! It was so fun to see all the different ideas the kids (or their parents- ha!) came up with! :)

prechrswife said...

That's a cute idea, and I love Scrabble. I come from a long line of Scrabble players. I'm pretty good, my mom is better, her mom is better than both of us, and my great-grandmother could out play all of us. :-)

Debby said...

What a cute idea if it was a parent torture. I think Tonga was very original. SHe gets an
A plus from this Grammy.

Janet said...

I think it is a GREAT idea! WOW! I love the idea of kids dressing like words instead of ghouls and vampires, etc. VERY cool idea. LOVE IT. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear, but I think it is so cool. :-)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

what a great assignment!!! I love this idea....and I bet the kids had a lot fun creating their "costumes"....I know, I know, not so fun for the parents. Did I ever tell you about Nick's human body project? I still cringe just thinking about the agony we went through trying to make all the organs in a "creative" fashion!!

I am always amazed how you get the perfect "faceless" photos...........

TGIF!!! Hope you have a nice weekend:)

Lisa

Annie said...

Loved it!!! Those are some creative kids!!

Patty O. said...

How great! It warms my heart to see so many kids get creative with words.

And if this tells you what a Word Nerd I am, I was wondering how I could get Danny's school district to host one of these Vocabulary Parades. I mean, boy, could Bil and I--I mean, the kids--have so much fun with this!

Krista ~ Bits and pieces said...

So creative and the kids are just adorable!!! I too am a word nerd, but they are all said with a southern accent~ so not proper!

I have so missed coming by to say hello~ I will do better~ for I have missed you!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

Hey! glad you stopped by today, let me know where in SFL you are moving! I have lots of things I"ve learned from running down here and I am always up for new buddies!

seriously the encyclopedia is too cute

Carla said...

LOVE this idea...and my favorite? Paramecium. :)