About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, June 25, 2010

Kindergarten Time Capsule

Several of y'all asked what it was exactly that Ms. Confetti placed in the Tongginator's kindergarten time capsule, to be opened on the day she graduates from high school. Well - first off - let me just rave again about how much I love, love, LOVE this idea. Parents, y'all can even do this if you homeschool or have an uncooperative too busy teacher.

All you need to create a kindergarten time capsule is: one plain mason jar, one piece of card stock, several sheets of regular paper, string, a small red construction paper heart, a hole punch, ink, crayons and some way to laminate the card stock. If you don't have access to a computer, no worries... just hand write the letters, notes and whatnot.


In the Tongginator's kindergarten time capsule, her teacher Ms. Confetti included:
  • a photo of the Tongginator with Ms. Confetti, which she laminated on the reverse side of the card shown above and labeled Sealed 2010, Open 2022
  • a very touching letter, written by Ms. Confetti and addressed to the entire class
  • a sheet of paper stamped with the Tongginator's handprint
  • this lovely information sheet (and y'all noticed then that I only showed eight of the ten answers in the photo... the other two answers shared the name of the Tongginator's best friend and the fact that she loves "center time" the best)
  • a record of the Tongginator's height in kindergarten
  • two photocopies of photographs (since actual photographs don't roll up all that well): the first of the Tongginator's entire kindergarten class and the second was a wide shot of Ms. Confetti's empty kindergarten classroom
  • a small booklet entitled Things That Make Me Smile (The Tongginator included things like special treats, her China cousin RedFish, having extra recess and the game Kids On Stage.)
  • a Tongginator self-portrait
  • a very short, but personal note, written by Ms. Confetti, about her favorite Tongginator memory from this past year (she told me at the conference that she wanted to share this memory or perhaps this memory, but instead decided to share one that was a tad less embarrassing, namely how the Tongginator insisted that Ms. Confetti call her Birthday Girl for all of March 3rd)
  • a teeny, tiny booklet that Ms. Confetti sent home to be filled out by the child's parents, with page headings entitled Funny Things You Do, Funny Things You Say and My Hopes and Dreams for You
  • on the backside of the Tongginator's laminated locker tag (waste not, want not!), she wrote out a list of the chapter books the Tongginator read during formal reading group time (Freckle Juice, Tye May and the Magic Brush, Molly's Pilgrim, The Three Billy Goats Gruff and The Courage of Sarah Noble)
Once I saw what Ms. Confetti had done, I also threw in a photocopy of the Tongginator's kindergarten report card and the official teacher letter included with it. As for what the husband and I wrote in the Tongginator's booklet...

Funny Things You Do...

not many kindergartners prefer to watch The Food Network over cartoons, but you do ... we also love your "fierce" modeling poses

Funny Things You Say...

when you grow up, you want to be a Rainbow-ist ... you love to read mazageens ... you tell us often that we are the best parents because we do our best

Our Hopes and Dreams for You...

Tongginator, we hope you grow up to be someone who loves and who knows she is loved, who lives for the Lord and who laughs every day.

I think that will stand the test of time, don't you? And can y'all think of anything else that might be fun to include in a kindergarten time capsule?

25 comments:

Mia_h_n said...

So much thoughfulness and fun. I love it :)

Mia_h_n said...

ThoughTfulness...(I hate typos, too)

Rhonda said...

I hope my little one, whenever she comes along, has a teacher like Ms. Confetti.

Oh, and judging by that picture that the Tongginator drew, she's definitely going to be a rainbowist. :)

Tonggu Grammy said...

I say again that Ms. Confetti is the best!!!! I am thankful that I met her and that she was in Miss T's life. And now I'm really glad that I offered to go back to her class next year for Native American Day even though Miss T will be a big first grader. Ms. Confetti deserves anything anyone can do for her.

Aus said...

Very cool couple updates (I must have been in very early yesterday..) - The stuff in the time capsule is just wow - so very cool, what a great teacher!!

As for the wait - yeah - the desire to be a Jei jei is soooo long - but the reward at the end....sooo cool!

hugs - aus and co.

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

seriously, those kind of teachers just don't come along every day!

Lea
xo

bbmomof2boys said...

You need to include a picture of you and TD!! That would be fun to see when she graduates!

Hugs,
Carla

jen@odbt said...

Ms Confetti is an amazing teacher. Future teachers have a lot to live up to now. That's how I feel about my kids' preschool teacher. I wish she could go with them throughout their elementary school education.

Keating Mom said...

I thought the same thing as Carla! A picture of T, TM, and TD. (Not that you all will chane AT ALL in the next 12 years! Ms Confetti is great!

Kristi said...

Thank you so much for sharing! Ms. Confetti sounds so wonderful ~ pondering a move to your area so my kids can have her too...
Not really, but I pray that they will have such a positive kindergarten experience. And of course, if they don't, I'll make my own time capsule!

The Ferrill's said...

Goodness I haven't checked in a while and I have quite a lot of catching up to do on your sweet family!
Love this idea of a time capsule. We opened up one recently with my oldest daughter's old CampFire Girls' group. THAT was lots of fun and provided LOTS of laughter!
Your "wishing for mei mei" post reminded me how not only is it hard on parents who are waiting, but on the little ones! TEARS! Bless that baby girl's heart. When she gets her mei mei, what a sweet day that will be!!!!!!!
Happy Summer days to you!
Laine

Cheri said...

I think Ms. Confetti is the best teacher EVER! I so wish all my kiddo's teachers were as thoughtful and caring.

Marla said...

Oh my! I just love this idea and have never seen anyone do anything like it. Awesome!!!

Sarah said...

My 4th grade teacher had us make time capsules, and had us open them together the last week of high school. I remember that reading things that I had written about my goals were my favorite parts. :)

Laurie said...

Fantastic!!! I love everything that went into it- so cool- and really, so easy to do! She really did have an outstanding teacher!

Aunt LoLo said...

What a great idea!

M3 said...

Wait a minute! How do you know what was in the time capsule? Did you open it and peek inside?! I always knew you were a rule breaker. *grin*

The Byrd's Nest said...

Awww......I just love this idea...what wonderful memories:)

Suzy said...

Lollipop post is one of my all time favorites. When I read it the first time, I laughed and laughed and laughed some more. Then, when I could speak, I called my 23 y/o son over to read it, too. I don't know what to hope for your next little one - that she be calm? that she be really, really smart like her jiejie? What I do know is that I hope she has a sense of humor because I'd never laugh AT Miss T, but it'd be a shame not to appreciate all the humorous things she says and does.

Briana's Mom said...

I hope Briana gets a teacher as amazing as Ms. Confetti in her future. :)

prechrswife said...

Too cute!

Debbie said...

I just love everything about this idea! I wish I had thought about this when mine were small.

Lisa said...

Stellar....just stellar, truly!!

Hey my friend ~ I left ya a comment below too...cuz yep, I'm running behind...again! :)

Heather of the EO said...

She is going to LOVE opening that one day. So cool.

Dita said...

I am in awe of how incredible Mrs. Confetti is. I hope you DO become friends with her because she is way too special not to.

I can't think of a better "time capsule" than this one. What an amazing way to remember where Little T is today one day when she's years older.

Priceless!