About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom

My momma turns *whisper, whisper* today. Actually, y'all, I can come out and say it. Because it's my momma. And one of the greatest gifts my momma ever gave to her daughters was teaching us, by example, to be proud of our age, no matter the number, and to be comfortable in our own bodies and with our own faces. So I truly CAN tell y'all her age, without fear of being smacked silly.

My momma is now 57 years old.

And today I'm hoping to continue the tradition of giving her absolutely! amazing! gifts that she rejects due to unreasonable expectations. Take the year that she turned 24, for example. I, a mere three years old, spent HOURS creating a masterpiece of culinary delight. But when I presented her with said birthday confection, she only PRETENDED to eat it. She wouldn't eat it "for real."

I KNOW! Can you even BELIEVE that? I mean, just look at this gorgeousness...


If y'all can't tell, the main ingredients of my sweet-tasting birthday cake included mud, sticks, stones and, well, more mud. But Tonggu Grammy STILL should have eaten it... FOR REAL... not just for PRETEND.

Happy Birthday, Tonggu Grammy. We love you so very much!

(And the Tongginator totally promises to make me an equally interesting mud cake for my birthday later this week.)

24 comments:

happygeek said...

Happy Birthday TG!!!!!
May your day be full of sunshine and fun.
And maybe a rainbow or two for good measure:)

And maybe you could teach my momma how to be OK with her age as she has a significant birthday this year and We.Are.Not.To.Name.It. So since I love my momma I won't. (Plus I'm still a wee bit scared of her.)

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

well she has certainly raised a lovely daughter so I can only imagine what Tonggu Grammy is like. Happy Birthday to Grammy!

Lea
xo

Keating Mom said...

Happy Birthday TG!!

Aus said...

Happy Birthday TG! I didn't realize that we're near 'contemporaries' - Oh - and if I might be so bold - ya'll did nice work with your kid here!

hugs - aus and co.

Kim K. said...

What a sweet tribute to your Mom. Happy Birthday, TG! Darling picture too.

LucisMomma said...

Happy Birthday, TG! I'm catching up to ya pretty quick....Thanks for raising such a lovely young lady who is, in turn, raising another lovely young lady.

Happy Birthday to you, too, TM!

Sharie said...

Happy Birthday Tonggu Grammy. You've done good work with TM and I know hundreds of other kids who were touched by having you as their teacher. I hope you have a birthday full of sunshine and cake that is edible, you certainly deserve it.

prechrswife said...

Happy Birthday, Tonggu Grammy! :-)

Patty O. said...

Hope your mom has a great one!

Debby said...

Happy Birthday Tonga Grammy. Sending the best of wishes to you.

Misty said...

happy bday TG! love that you embrace the age! and taught that to your kiddos. have a lovely day! you know, there's always today to taste that muddy confection!!

Wanda said...

Funny. Happy Birthweek to you AND your Mom!!!

Cavatica said...

Will you be eating your cake... for real??? Happy birthdays to you both!

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

Happy Birthday TG! I hope this year is full of fun (and injury-free) times!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Happy Birthday to TG!!! I hope she had a wonderful day filled with lots of celebration:)

Lisa

Briana's Mom said...

Happy Happy Birthday TG! Hope you have a birthday filled with happiness and lots of hugs!

Tonggu Grammy said...

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I had a wonderful, sunny day to enjoy and feel totally blessed. Best of all, I didn't have to eat mud cake!!!!! TM was beside herself at 3 when I only pretended to eat it. She handles things a bit better now.

Janet said...

Happy Birthday, TG! I'm sorry you have TM for a daughter, but hey, we take what life gives us, n'est-ca pas? ;-)

Soliloquy said...

HOLY CRAP, TM... you're ONLY 33?!?!?!

I mean.... I guess you're mature for your age or whatever, but I thought we were closer in age.

Oh lawd. That makes me OLD.

Heather of the EO said...

Ah, you're birthday is coming up? I'm sure the Tongginator WILL make it very special.

And Happy Birthday to your non-mud eating wonderful MOM. :)

Lisa said...

Happy day and many many more to come for your amazing Mama!!!

That pic is simply beyond sweet!!!

Stefanie said...

Awwww, happy birthday, TG!! Hope you had a GLORIOUS day :)
You and your mama are about the same age difference as me and my Victoria! How I hope we have the same sort of relationship that you guys do when she's your age, TM. You both are clearly a huge blessing to each other!

CC said...

yeah TG! And I forgot our bdays are really, really close together!!

Kris said...

love that photo. happy birthday to your mom... :O)