About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Adoption Poem Ala Tongginator

I have to admit to y'all that I am as unsentimental as they come. Those adoption poems and sayings? Are just SO not me. Part of this is because of my personality and part of it is because some of the phrases commonly used in adoption poetry make me wince.

Just keeping it real, y'all.

With all of that in mind, you can imagine how I felt when Marcie announced that Grown In My Heart's next monthly carnival theme would be poetry. I know! Especially since I still write poems as if I'm in fifth grade. And, believe it or not, my cynical, dark side existed even then. For example, one of my rather darker poems from fifth grade, complete with misspellings:

Roses are red, violets are blue
He said "I love you," I said "I do, too."
He turned bright pink
And I turned red, I think
Then pink turned to purple real fast
while I watched, completely agast
that's when I began to weep
and he fell down in a crumbled heap

See??? I wrote THAT at age ten. Talk about cynical and morbid. So y'all can see why I really shouldn't pen any poetry, much less adoption poems. Because it wouldn't be pretty. And it wouldn't contain red threads and hearts and ladybugs. It's just not in my nature. But... I am a rule follower, y'all, so I needed to share something. What to do? What to do??

Like any good momma, I forced the Tongginator to help me.

I know, I know. Except she truly didn't seem to mind. In fact, I think she even liked the exercise. I prompted her with just a few questions, including, "what do you like about adoption?" and "what do you NOT like about adoption?" I also guided her a bit in the editing, in order to create some sort of cadence, but the rhyming words and thoughts are *mostly* all her own. In other words, I said to her "what rhymes with daddy?" and "what rhymes with the sound shun (as in adoption)?"

I have some parents, that's mommy and daddy.
I'm adopted, just like my friend named Maddie.
My mommy and daddy take good care of me.
Sometimes I miss China... they have good food, you see.

I like being adopted because lots of my friends are.

We like to shop and play and swing across monkey bars.

But I don't like it when people talk to me about adoption

Because sometimes it makes me sad and is not fun.


And yet again... the Tongginator proves she is pretty much all! about! the! food! Be sure to join in, y'all, creating your own amazingly brilliant adoption poems for the carnival.

22 comments:

YoonSeon said...

LOL. I'm not even going to bother with this carnival because I've NEVER been able to write poetry. But I think it's amazing how well kids can say things, and so eloquently, too.

Keating Mom said...

Way to go Tongginator!! Great poem :)

Aunt LoLo said...

Out of the mouths of babes.....

Aus said...

Ya know - that's really a great piece....way to go T!

As for me - nope - not a chance, the winner's already been written!

hugs - aus and co.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Love the poem... it was awesome...

I agree... I don't like it when people talk to me about me being adopted either...

Hugs to you sweetie...

Denise said...

That is great! I am no poet, so I will pass~

happygeek said...

Awesome poem Miss T!!!!

Cheri said...

Oh she did great! I too shall pass on trying my hand on a poem. LOL

Briana's Mom said...

Well, it is all about the food, isn't it? I thought it was. It isn't?

Awesome poem. She rocks. :)

prechrswife said...

Love the poem!

Paula O. said...

TM - please tell your daughter what an incredible piece of writing this is. Both my inner-child and adult adoptee identities continue to be so impressed and in awe of her ability to express herself.

Thank you for sharing this. :)

CC said...

it really is telling. I love it. Really, really love it.

Mei Ling said...

Hey, cute!

Myrnie said...

Well your poem is....certainly dramatic! Too funny, and I love the Tonginnator's :)

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

I'm sooooo not about the adoption poems, too... but like the Tonginator I am so about the food! Had awful chinese yesterday!

Eastiopians said...

HAHAHA, first of all, I LOVE your poem that you wrote when you were 10. That is too good. I live with one foot in the darker side too, haha. And the adoption poem is so good. Definitely a keeper. :)

Theresa

Sarah said...

Wow. T just seems so aware of herself and how she feels. What an amazing little girl. And I love your poem, too. It reminds me of some of my humorous poetry, back when I thought I could write it. lol Awesome stuff, on both counts. :)

Michelle@Gotchababy said...

Nice collaborative effort! That is really sweet :)

LucisMomma said...

That is really good, Miss T! Make sure mommy puts it in a scrapbook for you. TM, I love that 5th grade poem. You were (still are) quite advanced. And using aghast? I love it.

Canada to China and back! said...

Well she certainly has a point about the food being yummy:0) Great poem!
Kim

Janet said...

Good job, Tongginator! That is a GREAT poem!

What a great kid.

Addie Pray said...

Love both of your poems.

And yes, it's always about the food. it's an adoptee thing.