About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, May 10, 2010

My Dad Has a Hard Head

And Other Lessons Learned This Mother's Day Weekend

Late Friday night, our home phone rang as the husband and I were paring down the shows piled up in our DVR. It was late enough that we felt a twinge of fear, but we tried to tamp that down since the husband's grandma called after 10:30 the previous night "just to chat."

Which goes to show that a woman in her nineties and a three-hour time difference? Don't exactly gel.

This time, however, was more than "just a chat." Tonggu Grammy (my momma) called to tell me that she and the Colonel (my daddy) had left the hospital minutes before. It seems that the Colonel - for the second time in his life - wrecked while riding his bicycle. For those of y'all who don't know, my daddy used to be huge into triathlons. He used to win, too, until he lived through a horrific bike accident that caused a bit of damage when I was in college.

You know, several broken ribs, abrasions, a concussion and the small matter of a third degree shoulder separation.

Way to worry the family, Dad.

This weekend my daddy did it again, only this time he managed to survive with just a concussion. Yeah... just. Because it was the kind of concussion where he was out cold for about two minutes before he got up telling everyone that his name is Brian. Only... his name ain't Brian. (We don't even have any Brians in the family.)

So yeah... he spent Friday evening having CT scans and all manner of other tests.

And the whole family learned a couple of Important Lessons. The first is that my beloved daddy actually DOES have a brain... and - even more shocking - it actually DOES work. (Who knew?) And yes, the Tongginator totally went there, asking her Grandfather, "does your brain work now?" when she spoke to him on Saturday.

We also learned that my momma? Is more likely to inform the family about dire crises through Facebook than through telephone calls. I can only feel grateful that my momma owns a cell phone now, so that she could inform me to check Facebook for the details. (And no, y'all, she didn't really do that. She did The Right Thing and called to tell me. But she felt so exhausted, she didn't want to chat for very long. I'm just poking fun. Besides, without her Facebook message, I wouldn't have busted a gut laughing at my cousins' comments about my dad's horrific spandex bike shorts.)

And the Tongginator learned the Life Saving Lesson of Always Wear Your Bike Helmet. Because yes, y'all, my daddy WAS wearing his bike helmet. And yes, it was properly fitted to his head. It's just that falling down on asphalt doesn't exactly make for an easy landing. In fact, it can actually crack a bike helmet. Thankfully, it didn't crack my daddy's head.

But that's just because his head? Is really, really, REALLY hard.

Happy Mother's Day, Tonggu Grammy. You are blessed with your hard-headed husband's presence for awhile longer. And so are we all.

Praise God.

31 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

Oh, I'm glad that your dad is okay.

Hope you had a good Mother's Day. :)

autumnesf said...

This makes my heart stop. Cause you know Tricia...my friend...her daughter had one of those accidents with helmet and now lives with a traumatic brain injury (TBI). She might not ever live on her own. And you can't even really tell just to look at her. Very awful thing to live with.

So so glad your dad will be fine. You really scared me there!

Aus said...

You make me laugh - and scared all at the same time! Cracking a brain bucket (which is what we call bike helmets - they are more fun to wear that way!) and being knocked out for a bit....that's one heck of a hit!

Glad he's OK - tell 'Brian' we'll keep him in our prayers!

hugs - aus and co.

bbmomof2boys said...

eeeek!!! So glad he's okay! T asking if he brain works was too funny.

Hugs,
Carla

Briana's Mom said...

Oh my! How scary! I'm so glad he is ok!

Tricia said...

My heart threatened to stop beating when I read this. I am glad your dad is OK. I will pray for him and your mom and everyone else who loves him for the next few weeks. Give us an update later, will you, please?

Kim K. said...

Thank GOD he was wearing a helmet and it wasn't worse. Whew. Continued to keep us posted. Daddy's are suppose to be invincible.

jen@odbt said...

In this case, thank goodness for a hard head. I'm glad to hear everything is ok.

Myrnie said...

Scary, scary! Glad everyone is doing OK!

monica said...

I've cracked a few bike helmets in my day, too, and torn up some spandex shorts. It's no fun and I'm glad he's OK. I can guarantee this will not stop him from riding his bike again--it's addiction of the worst possible kind.

Carla said...

So glad he is alright...and yes, bike helmets are an absolute MUST here. It only took a former Children's ER nurse telling a few stories to make it a must. Thank goodness for friends like those.

prechrswife said...

Glad to hear he is okay. Those late night phone calls are scary.

Kris said...

i get all nervy with those late night phone calls. so glad your dad was okay and girl, write a column or something. i couldn't help but laugh my you know what off.

Jillene said...

Oh my goodness!! I am so glad that he is semi-ok!! And I am with you on the late night/early morning phone calls. I always have that sinking feeling in my stomach when that happens.

Debby said...

Very scary. Glad he is okay.

Suzy said...

No matter how hard your noggin is, the tree, asphalt, car, etc. you run into head first is probably going to win the scissor, rock, paper contest with your noggin if you're not wearing your helmet. No matter how much ragging you get about what a dork your kiddo looks like in the helmet, insist on your kiddo wearing the helmet.

Andrea said...

My brothers both crashed their motorcycles in college and nearly died. I've never been a fan of two wheeled apparatus since then. But somehow I married a cycling enthusiast! ;-)

Sharie said...

A+ Colonel for having the bike helmet on! Way to set a good example and keep yourself in one piece for Little T.

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

ssoooo, y'all are just boring. Where's the drama? The excitement? Oh, wait. . .I was obviously reading the wrong blog! Glad everyone, especially Brian, is ok!

LucisMomma said...

Thank Goodness Above for that bike helmet, and that your dad is all right.

And my dad retired as Col (LTC, really) and I cannot imagine the man in spandex *anything*. He was hot stuff 'way back when, but never spandex, oy!

CC said...

Stop scaring me! My mom has become an avid biker and bikes 100+ miles per week. I worry constantly that something will happen to her as my father is so totally dependent on her.

Christina said...

I'm so glad your dad is ok! Happy Mother's Day!

Sarah said...

Aw, man! I've had bad spills in my day on a bike, but never that bad! Thank goodness Brian and his Brain is alright. ;) I'm glad it was no worse a way to give a good lesson in bike safety to T. :)

Marla said...

Thank goodness for helmets (and that he was smart enough to be wearing it)! Glad he's OK. Hope you had a great Mother's Day!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Sounds like he took quite a tumble..... Thank goodness for that helmut....I am so glad that he was okay!!

I hope that you and TG were able to enjoy a Happy Mother's Day!!

Lisa

discombobulated said...

ok. this is so not funny. i'm so glad he's ok. i'm not being a smartypants here, but he does know to throw that helmet in the trash now, right? One Crash Then In The Trash. We've had some bad traumas at work lately, so I'm really glad he's ok and you can add this story to the Husband's "Hey Honey, remember that time you almost died?" story.

Heather of the EO said...

Oh my...I hope Brian is improving more and more.

And have I told you lately how much I love how you tell a story? Just checking...

Annie said...

Oh TM!!! I am so glad your Daddy is ok!!! Remind me to send you pics of my second son's bike accident. He was ok, but 2 CT scans and an MRI later... Yikes!!! Oh and he wasn't wwearing a helmut!! He DOES now:)

Very glad your Dad is ok!!!

Janet said...

I am SO thankful he is okay! Think what might have happened if he HADN'T been wearing a helmet!

I love the "does your brain work" line. Tee hee.

Cavatica said...

Glad he was wearing a helmet. I work with people who have had brain injuries, including mild (like concussions), which still can have lasting symptoms. Hope he's okay!

Dita said...

Thank goodness for helmets and Tonggu Granddaddy's good sense to wear one.

Brian...are you sure he wasn't saying BRAIN?

Happy Mother's Day, Ladies...and the reminder of how important the men in our lives really are.