About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday Five

five random thoughts from the whacked out mind of Tonggu Momma, brought to you courtesy of the Grey's Anatomy season finale... because I totally watched it last night instead of blogging and oh, my lands, wasn't it AMAZING?

NUMBER 1
I now feel completely convinced that my insecure self so, SO doesn't deserve y'all. Of course I'll be around... at least until MythicalBabyInChina is no longer mythical and has been home at least 5.3 months. *wink* And yes, it's easy for me to say that I'll stick around because, ya know, we don't share names on this here blog. Nor face shots. Which means privacy concerns? Not too much of an issue. Except for the fact that a momma from the Tongginator's Chinese class figured out who we are a couple of months ago. Yes, y'all... it seems the husband's bald spot gave us away. (It seriously did.) But I trust you, momma from the Tongginator's Chinese class. I totally trust you.

NUMBER 2
I owe someone a little musical gift since so many of you shared favorite adoption songs. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to pull a name out of the hat yet, since I'm too busy downloading music from I-Tunes. But I WILL draw a name early next week. Oh, I totally will. And I just know whoever wins will feel OVERWHELMED with JOY when they receive the Barry Manilow compilation I create.

NUMBER 3
The torture continues. I don't know if y'all remember the forty! seven! acts! I sat through during the Tongginator's elementary school talent show... but it seems that was NOTHING compared to the band and strings concert I listened to earlier this week. Ms. Confetti owes me one. You see, I was supposed to volunteer that afternoon, but Ms. Confetti forgot to inform me that I didn't need to come in. You know, due to the band and strings concert. Unfortunately, the Tongginator saw me just as I arrived. And since I arrived just 90 minutes before the school day ended, I was kinda stuck. So I stayed. And my ears bled I listened. The most memorable part of the assembly involved the band playing a number y'all might recognize: the theme from Mission Impossible. And yes, it was mission impossible... especially for the clarinets.

NUMBER 4
Let's see... updates... my daddy's brain is doing fine, thanksverymuchforasking. And the husband and I chatted with Ring at the mailboxes yesterday afternoon. All seems well for them, although Pocket really struggled through Mother's Day earlier this month. (Lots of us know a bit about that, don't we?) And the momma who just came home from Ethiopia? Well, we actually got kicked out of Starbucks on Tuesday night. Yes, we seriously did. Who knew that coffee shops actually close after 10 PM every night? The family is doing as well as can be expected, although the momma wants to know if anyone can recommend one or more parenting books that discuss life with a newly adopted toddler. I'm pretty sure she has all of the standard attachment books, so she's really looking for more day-to-day life advice. Any ideas?

NUMBER 5
I have seriously run out of things to say. Because yesterday was so! very! busy!, what with field day at the Tongginator's school and then, of course, the Grey's Anatomy finale. Did y'all see it? What did you think? Oh my lands, I thought it was ah-MAZE-ing. And I'll leave y'all with the promise of a Tongginator story on Monday, that occurred during field day today. And yes, it was a TONGGINATOR MOMENT, y'all. Which many witnessed. *sigh*

23 comments:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

We like Barry Manilow here, as long as we don't have to look at those weird cheek implants!!

Keating Mom said...

I sort of like Barry Manilow too!
And yes! I watched Grey's Anatomy last night. Took me a while to be able to sleep after that one! (Of course, all the diet coke at dinner didn't help either!;) )Good stuff!
Does she have Adoption Parenting: Creating a Toolbox, Building Connections? I found that one helpful.
Jeanie

Mei Mei Journal said...

A suggestion ofr your fireend...
Is there a good attachment therapist in your area? I waited a long time to start with Paige because we were making progress on our own. However in hindsight we should have gone sooner. I think we would have progrossed much faster. It has been very helpful.

Debby said...

Grey was something else last night. It was GOOD. Gosh, I couldn't believe that the SWAT team took so long, but, like my husband said it was TV. Glad they didn't leave us with a cliffhanger.
I would suggest a support group for your new friend with the toddler. I wish I was closer as even though my adoption was from Childrens' Services he was a toddler and out of control.
Have a good week-end. Can't wait to hear your daughter's story.

jen@odbt said...

Grey's was so good...intense but on the edge of your seat good. I couldn't fall asleep after watching it though.

Wanda said...

{{smile}}

prechrswife said...

Elementary school band concerts are brutal. Bless you for sitting through that. As for Grey's Anatomy, I don't watch it, but after that show last night, Facebook was lit up like a Christmas tree with status updates about the show. And I'll be waiting for the field day story...

Judy said...

"the momma wants to know if anyone can recommend one or more parenting books that discuss life with a newly adopted toddler."

I have no book suggestions (because, as you said, she probably has the standard ones), but I would strongly suggest she and her family get themselves to an adoption therapist. Is there an adoption center near you? We have one about 1/2 hour from us -- it's attached to a children's hospital and when Energy Boy was having some behavioral issues, we went there for family therapy. It was THE BEST THING we could have done for him. I actually think anyone who's adopted could benefit from something like that, even if it's just to check in and see that everything is going smoothly. But with a toddler adoption, I think that would be really really helpful.

Aus said...

Good morning TM - looking forward to the T story!

Being a cybercop - ya'll really don't want me to track you down do ya? ;) And if your friend that figured you out does anything to violate your trust - well let me know and I'll (in good Irish cop brogue) "have a little chat with them".

Finally, re #4 - point her to our blog (ausfamily.blogspot.com) or just give her my e-mail and in the meantime I'll look up an e-mail address from a gal at our CHMC that can send her some stuff!

hugs - have a great weekend -

aus and co.

Buckeroomama said...

Barry Manilow? Wow, I think I can still remember the words to most of his songs!

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

Grey's. . .[sigh] I'm not sure I ever cried at a tv show before. That Bailey, and Lexie, and. . .and. . .Good grief! I couldn't get over how quickly it started (literally with a bang) but for some reason, the ending left me a little. . .blah. I felt like I had been through a traumatic event and it was over and now I needed to pick up the pieces. . .which is when hubs said it was time to put down the remote and quit getting emotionally attached to a tv show.

Colin and Jill Canada said...

I love Greys, but last night, ...I thought I was going to throw up! My heart was SO beating out of my chest. Likely the reason I don't normally watch anything horror or killer related. Phew.

Andrea said...

I'm gearing up for the DWTS and LOST finales!

But my favorite book that I have given to many a new mom, is "Don't Make Me Count to Three" by Ginger Plowman. It's oh so good. I also like "Hints for Parents" by Gardiner Springs. It's a little book written long ago, but the truths it contains are timeless. Tedd Tripp offers little encouragements throughout as well.

Wendy said...

I thought Grey's ending was a little too blah for all of the trauma they had just put us through. I think I would have rather been left with a cliff hanger. Good show though!!

BTW, I hope you don't mind that I pointed to your blog in my last blog posting. ;o)~

Chandra said...

I can't belive someone figured out who you are by husband head-too funny!

I also like Barry Manilow-just my age group too ;0

Orchestra & band concerts are THE worst! After 5 kids, I finally went to the last elementary one!!! it's taken 25 years, but yeah! Now, start the grandkids-most will be homeschooled tho. Which reminds me TM...I invite you to come to a talent show in ID...a mini MJ Thriller. Only 4 kids from each grade. You can wear a mask, I promise not to peek.

Read the old posts about Ring, Pocket, & non-moms - sad, incredibly good posts!!!

Glad daddy's brain is doing fine.

Have a fabulous weekend!

The Byrd's Nest said...

You are so cute:)

I am thankful that you enjoyed your visit with her......I pray she feels more peace in her heart and a connection with you.

So happy about Daddy's brain too:) I will continue to pray.

Kris said...

hey. i love barry. don't knock the manilow. ;O)

Suzy said...

Had to laugh at your questions over at NiHao Ya'll. Maybe because I could just picture you married to the Stig. No need to photograph from the back, then, huh? Then I had mental images dancing through my mind's eye of the whole T Family in white helmets - of course, little T's would have loads of bling. I can picture the Christmas cards now. It's just a silly fantasy, though, because I KNOW even the Stig can't hold a candle to your IRL husband.

anymommy said...

I am not sure how you are surviving the talent show/band thing, but I have a feeling my time will come.

Janet said...

What is this "Grey's Anatomy" thing that people keep talking about...;-)

I hear ya on the talent show. Oooooh...boy, can they get LOOONG!

3 Peanuts said...

I watched Gray's and was on the edge of my seat. It was good but I had to remind myself a few times that it was just a show. I got too anxious for my favorite characters. Very good though.

Kristi said...

You'd better not ever disappear from the bloggin' scene. Cause I'd really miss you and your humor. the end...

Nicole said...

GREY'S ANATOMY!!!! Whew, what a show. I loved it BUT...how bad was the sniper that shot the shooter in the shoulder? He couldn't have shot him in the head? COME ON. I expect more from my fictional snipers.