About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, May 13, 2010

Charice and a Fever

I'm not a huge Oprah fan anymore *gasp*, but I still DVR her show because once or twice a month I find myself really interested in a topic she's covering. The rest of the time? I just hit delete. (The! Horror! I can't believe I'm admitting to that!) Now that may not sound sacrilegious to y'all, but we live in Maryland. Just south of Baltimore. Which means, except for her first two years in Chicago before syndication, I've been watching Oprah on television since the early eighties.

Because People Are Were Talking back then.

(That was the name of her Baltimore show, y'all.)

(And my momma watched it religiously.)

Anyways, I hardly watch the show anymore because Oprah is simply not the same Oprah I once fell in love with. Or maybe I'm simply not the same person I once was. I know not. But I'm rambling on and on about this because - for some strange reason that I cannot quite explain - I'm slightly ashamed to admit I still watch Oprah, even occasionally. Then again, I watch America's Next Top Model, too. And a plethora of CSI shows.

Long! Live! Trash! Television! *blush*

This week had me watching one of Oprah's shows (what with my weeks-long-illness) while the Tongginator and I cuddled together on the couch. Usually I vet the topics thoroughly because there are a lot of topics I just don't want the Tongginator exposed to. Unfortunately, this one somehow slipped through the cracks.

I should have thought it through.

I am SO disappointed with myself as a momma.

But I saw the name Charice Pempengco and just HAD to share the experience with the Tongginator. Charice Pempengco, a powerhouse singer from the Philippines who exudes beauty and grace at the tender age of 18. Charice Pempengco, who belted out Whitney Houston ballads like an angel before age 12. Charice Pempengco, who the Tongginator insisted was Chinese until I pulled out the globe to show her the location of the Philippines. I was thinking, 'what a role model for the Tongginator!'

Except I wasn't thinking.

Because guess who appeared on the show just before little Charice walked out on stage?

*insert melodramatic pause*

Justin Bieber, y'all. And yes, the Tongginator caught the Bieber Fever. And yes, Tonggu Momma is at present banging her head against the wall. Which, strangely enough, seems to be helping me rid my head of congestion. But still...

The Tongginator is now in love with Justin Bieber. Goodbye Zee, hello Justin. Poor little Zee didn't even stand a chance. Now I don't know if the Tongginator simply liked Justin for himself or if the ten thousand girls screaming his name swayed her opinion in any way, but I DO know one thing: the Tongginator has decided she needs to meet the young Mr. Bieber. She thinks my best friend Canuck K will be able to arrange an introduction. You know, because they are both Canadian. And the Tongginator believes that - if by chance Canuck K doesn't know Mr. Bieber (because she's kinda old, ya know) - then our friend Jay, also a Canadian, can do the honors. Jay may need to pull out a few phone books though, since the Tongginator has decided she wants to stop by Justin's house.

But only if Justin updates his wardrobe.

Because, according to her, he needs to dress up a bit more if he's gonna go on stage again. She suggests sparkles. Some brighter colors. And a fancy bow tie around his neck.

But that's just her.

30 comments:

Andrea said...

I tease my 13 year old that he looks like Justin. He is now going to cut his hair!

Aus said...

I must live under a rock - I have no idea who you are speaking about....and I consider myself fairly current.....hummm - but then again I knew there were things seriously wrong with me.....

But - I do watch a couple of the CSI programs - and as a forensic guy I find myself seriously amused at how they do things....at least until I get to court and try to explain to a jury how things are really done. We call that the "CSI effect" - most all the folks are sure they know how it's really done because they've seen it on TV!

sigh.....

hugs - aus and co.

bbmomof2boys said...

Just don't see what the big hoopla is over this kid. Of course I'm "old" but still - I don't think he can sign all the well! Thanks goodness my Little T isn't old enough to get that fever. Hmmm...wonder what fever she'll get when its her turn???

Hugs,
Carla

Elouise82 said...

If the Tongginator can convince Justin to cut his hair as well as update his wardrobe, all of America and Canada will be forever in her debt.

I'm rather fond of the numerous CSI shows, too. Except I lost interest after the original one replaced Grissom. I mean, really. WHAT were they thinking?

Wanda said...

Yes, Justin Bieber. (Hey, I'm Canadian too! But I can't help ya, sorry.) It's for that reason that I flip past Hanna Montana so fast Dahlia doesn't realize what's she's missing till she gets to school the next day. Grr... How do we keep the innocence?

Me to about Oprah. I never missed a show but I don't think I've seen one this year. I guess I've moved on.

Sounds like you're doing a bit better. Keep it up!

Football & Fried Rice said...

Oh that Justin Bieber! My kids (5th & 2nd grade) come home & talk about how all the girls have "raging crushes" on JB. First of all, how do they even KNOW what a "raging crush" is?

Ewwwww....

I overheard my two sweet sons talking the other day about how "no girl had crushes on them"....

:( Crushed THIS Momma's heart!

The icing on the cake was when the youngest said to the oldest, 'No girls have crushes on us because we look the same..."

Grrrrr!

All because of this Bieber kid.

Anne said...

sparkles, bows? Ha! I love it. And I love kids who go their own way confidently. (and parents who don't squash them)

Joan said...

I too DVR Oprah. There is a list of 20 I think that I have yet to watch. Some I delete right away too. I am concerned though about the Justin B one. My oldest daughter LOVES JUSTIN BIEBER MOM> He is so COOOOOOLLLLL

Once she watches it, I fear she will never go back to plain old High School Musical fan anymore.

:-)

But, I loved MAC DAVIS the same way so who am I to complain. And in my day we didn't have dvr or vcr so I couldn't record Mac when he was on Johnny Carson and my Dad would not let me stay up to watch. I see I have not let that go yet. Oh my.

Christina said...

Too cute! Don't worry, he won't last much longer - his voice will start changing soon!

jen@odbt said...

Now I have his song stuck in my head. I don't get the fascination either but he's seems like a good kid.

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

The fascination is beyond me, but even my son thinks he's the coolest thing EVER! [sigh] As for tv shows, I love all those crime shows (CSI, law and order, NCIS, etc.). I don't watch them on a regular basis, but if I happen to catch them on, I totally have to watch. Who does'nt love a good story?!

Andrea said...

I grew tired of Oprah a long long time ago. She breeds confusion. However I did see her once. The show I was attending was on rape. The previous day's audience had gotten the Oscar goodie bags. I felt so robbed. Doesn't she know I cashed in airline miles for that morbid experience?

Patricia/NYC said...

lol!! Justin Bieber happens to be on my husband's record label so Kiara caught "the fever" awhile back, thanks to daddy bringing home the cd...oh yeah, and going to his concert back in February didn't help ;)

Kiara told me, while watching @prah, "I'm going to marry him momma"...sigh...

For me, it was David Cassidy...but then again, I was 12!!!

Kim K. said...

Justin Bieber invaded our house back at Christmas. Poor Josie doesn't get a chance to not grow up as fast as I'd like with a 11 (soon-to-be 12 year old) in the house.

Sharie said...

I didn't know what CSI was until I started catching re-runs. One night I was unaware that Amelia was awake while I was watching and now she often requests, "the bloody show" so she can learn more about the body. So if you think you're a bad Mom because Little T found out about Bieber - what does that make me?
(However I do not let her watch the murder scenes - and MAN does she get mad!)

Kris said...

don't feel bad, i don't watch oprah either, not since those good ole days. :O)

thanks for such a good laugh. i'd like to SEE those sparkles and that bow tie!

Kris said...

ps. i was sad Alexandra didn't go Top 2. not surprised Krista won :)

Serline said...

For some reason, my son has a poster of Justin Bieber on his wall. Hmmm...

prechrswife said...

I think I'm starting to appreciate the Wonder Pets/Kai Lan/Dora the Explorer obsession at our house. :-) I think we'll keep it this way as long as we can.

The Gang's Momma! said...

Oh. My. Word. I saw that same episode, watched it for the same initial reasons. But getting past the whole JB thing was traumatic for me. I mean, he seems fairly talented and all, but the screaming and the crying?! Ugh. I am sooooo frustrated with the way this culture idolizes and markets kids. KIDS! I just read a GREAT article by Dannah Gresh on the whole Miley Cyrus thing . . .

{stepping off yet another soapbox!}

But yeah, I waited till LadyBug was at school to preview that one. And I do EXACTLY. THE. SAME. THING. with my dvr and Miss O. I only occasionally enjoy her lately, and find a delicious delight in watching an episode and deleting it in disgust before it gets past the first commercial break. It's empowering :)

heh. I'm a weirdie.

April said...

You are not the only one who doesn't watch Oprah.

I stopped after the "church" of Oprah seemed to be too far reaching and influential...

*gasp*

:)
Hope you are feeling better!

Patty O. said...

Bwahahahahahahaha! I LOVE this. And am soooo glad Charlotte has never seen Justin or any of those other boys out there that the girls are in love with. Yet. But I know our day is coming.

Briana's Mom said...

Missed that episode, but I love Charice! Love her!

Justin Bieber - I just don't get it. Little girls LOVE him. His hair kind of bugs me. Don't tell T that though, she might get mad at me. I wonder who Briana's first celebrity crush will be. Hopefully someone who's hair doesn't bug me. ;)

Aunt LoLo said...

*snort* I'm proud to say, I don't think I've had the pleasure of hearing Justin Beiber perform yet.

I HAVE seen a one year old that will say "ooh la la!" every time you say " ga ga"...so I think my life is pretty OK. (Umm...Lady GaGa song. And no, it's not SJ. I wish! He needs some more parlor tricks in his repertoire...)

Cheri said...

LOL I'm so glad Taylor is too "old" for JB and Kera has no idea who is. I hope to keep it that way for as long as I can. I know my niece is crazy about him.

Janet said...

Not a big Oprah fan here, either. There are a few shows I watch, if I catch wind of them, but for the most part? Not interested.

Justin Bieber? I only recently heard of him, even though I'm Canadian too. So...sorry, little Tongginator. I am a traitor to my country.

The Source said...

Ohhhh...Justin Bieber! Have you seen the video on youtube of the little 3 yr old who cried and cried over Justin Bieber? And then Jimmy Kimmel had her family on his show and Justin Bieber came back in the green room and talked to the little girl? It just lit up her whole world! Too cute.

When DD was 6 it was the Backstreet Boys. She was nuts over Brian Littrel. We took her to a concert and she literally went "Beatles Freak" on us. Crying and screaming. Oh yes. Along with about 70,000 other 6-9 yr olds. And all the daddies were out in the lobby of the Georgia Dome drinking cold beer. It was priceless!

The Source said...

Ohhhh...Justin Bieber! Have you seen the video on youtube of the little 3 yr old who cried and cried over Justin Bieber? And then Jimmy Kimmel had her family on his show and Justin Bieber came back in the green room and talked to the little girl? It just lit up her whole world! Too cute.

When DD was 6 it was the Backstreet Boys. She was nuts over Brian Littrel. We took her to a concert and she literally went "Beatles Freak" on us. Crying and screaming. Oh yes. Along with about 70,000 other 6-9 yr olds. And all the daddies were out in the lobby of the Georgia Dome drinking cold beer. It was priceless!

anymommy said...

She was bound to see him somewhere. He's everywhere after all. And hey, at least it wasn't the "Twilight" Oprah! So glad that you are feeling better.

Nicole said...

I can't watch ANTM anymore. I used to love it, but since Paulina P isn't one of the judges anymore, and since they talk too much about SMIZING, I just could not do it. SMIZE.