About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, April 16, 2010

On a Post-It

Sometimes my Tongginator just cracks me up. This may be a "you had to be there moment," but I'm gonna share it anyways.

Every couple of months, the Tongginator's elementary school hosts a dozen or two "clubs" during morning class time. Several weeks before club day, all of the children in the school are able to select their first, second and third choices from a list of a dozen or so topics. They learn of their assignment just a few days before and then, on Club Day, the children all leave their classes to spend 45 minutes to an hour learning about a topic they might not typically be exposed to in elementary school. These topics are parent-driven, since one to two parent volunteers run each club. Topics range from astronomy to environmental art (recycling trash into art) to various book clubs and language clubs and the like.

The Tongginator has been to a couple of clubs so far, including a jewelry-making club (huge surprise, I know!) and also a "Fancy Nancy" book club (another shocker!). But this time? This time the Tongginator finally got her first choice... the China Club. She's heading to the China Club this morning to learn more about China and - most importantly - eat some Chinese food.

You can just imagine how excited my little Tongginator is.

Because she is all! about! the! food!

The Tongginator and I talked about China Club yesterday and I mentioned, oh-so-casually, that she might consider telling the parent volunteer that she was born in China. The Tongginator thought that was a wonderful idea, but she worried that she might forget to share said information.

So she wrote herself a little note.

On a Post-It.


Yes, she seriously did.

(I, of course, wrote the note on the bottom to help fill in the gaps in case she froze under pressure. Because if she's worried about remembering the COUNTRY she was born in, I doubt she'll remember the county and province. Heh.)

My little Tongginator? She cracks me up.

25 comments:

Joan said...

That is so cute!

Just yeterday my Ella asked me if she was born in China. I guess a boy at school was asking. After she answered him he turned around and told the group - Ella Was Born in China. :-)

The Source said...

Umm...TM? If she wrote that note on Wacky Hair Day, I totally understand! All those bows just had to be sapping her brain power!

She's too funny!

Annie said...

I am so totally with her on the post it notes!!! Could not function without them!!! She is just too cute and how wonderful that she gets to go to the China club. Who is running that camp? Is it a parent who is actually from China? I think that is a great idea!!

Aus said...

Love the idea - surprise that she didn't want to go in traditional dress too - but hey - it is all about the food!!

hugs -

aus and co.

Elizabeth@Romans8:15 said...

That is absolutely hysterical!!!!

autumnesf said...

Yes I do believe you have one of those "list makers" in the making. Brings back visions of a husband with stickies poking out every pocket. Poor, poor Tonggu husband-to-be.

Jboo said...

So sweet!! What a nice idea to have those club meetings for the kids! Great school!

Janet

Aunt LoLo said...

Hehehe...so cute!!!

Desiree' said...

We have those clubs here to, just in the afternoon. You just gave me an idea for a new one this fall!! Thanks :)

Andrea said...

Too cute!

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

I. Love. It. That is the cutest most adorable thing ever!! (I understand her fear--I tend to freeze too.) PLEASE keep that for her. Her kids will get such a chuckle out of the time their mom forgot where she was born and had to write it on a post-it note! (Not that my children tell stories like that on me or anything. . .) : )

t~ said...

That's funny! She and I would get along great, I have to write everything on a post it note.

LucisMomma said...

That is just too cute. I hope you save that post-it note, not just here in blogdom.

That sounds just like my little Luci--except she can't write yet, so her notes to herself are squiggly lines. But she can read them, huh.

prechrswife said...

Priceless! :-)

The Gang's Momma! said...

She's a crack up! My little one, Baby BlueEyes, writes notes to himself all over the house. It's quite entertaining to see what's in his head at any given day. He's a big note writer - even wrote a love note to #5 last year when trade rumors first started. And yesterday, when tackling junk drawers, I found a love note to me tucked inside a Thanksgiving place card he made. Two years ago! :)

Colin and Jill Canada said...

That just makes me grin. She is so darn cute!

Gwen said...

Really cute! The older I get, the more I write little notes to myself like this! haha
We went to a local CNY party in February and as I sat with a group of kids making paper lanterns, one little girl perks up and says to me, "Excuse me... did you know I was born in China?" :)
I really like the club idea at T's school!

Kristi said...

Oh my. That is funny. And yet it reminds me of my sweet girl sometimes too.

*Given Much Momma* said...

Love it! :)

Sharie said...

We went to a diversity fair at the high school tonight. Amelia couldn't say how old she was in Chinese - not that she would have said it in English either - she freezes in front of people who SHE considers, "more Chinese than me" YEP she said that. Makes me sad.

Amelia is all about the food too. 2 Spring Rolls and she was ready to go:)
I love the idea of the clubs. What a great idea!

Alyson and Ford said...

My biggest problem with Post-It notes... I forget where I put them and we'll casually skip the part about my forgetting I even wrote one.

Wish I could have shared some Apple Pie with you :)
peace
fm

Kristin said...

Now that made me giggle. =)

Debbie said...

If that isn't the cutest thing!

B1L said...

So, so sweet!

a little leprechaun said...

That is super cute!!