About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, April 30, 2010

Eye Candy... For Real

I didn't want to share with y'all that I've been sick this entire week because (whine! whine! whine!) I've been sick so much already this year, I didn't figure you would believe me. And I feared that you might possibly think that maybe I'm just a big baby when I'm sick.

Which might - perhaps - be true, but I shall never admit to it.

Anyways, I've been so sick, I've lost almost 10 pounds in six days. I haven't even walked the Tongginator to and from the bus stop... we've had to drive the measly two blocks. I've used almost 50 tea bags. And I've chosen to sleep on the couch rather than subject my husband to the constant hacking, chills, sweats and nebulizer treatments that are the joys of my life at the moment.

Which means that I could not attend the Book Fair/ Art Night at the Tongginator's school yesterday. The Tongginator experienced Great Stress these past few days, wondering if she'd even be able to go. Because her momma is a sickly wimp and her daddy? Has a job that requires too many hours and a long, trying commute across state lines. But Tonggu Daddy?

Is a rock star.

A rock star who rearranged his schedule to make their attendance possible.

Which is a good thing... because the Tongginator did not - in! any! way! - want to miss out on what her art teacher called the night's "eye candy." Yeah. Try explaining to a stubborn six-year-old that eye candy? Is not exactly edible.

(And don't even go there about the Husband rearranging his schedule so aggressively because he, too, wished to experience "eye candy," albeit a different kind than the Tongginator expected.)

The Tongginator and Tonggu Daddy headed to the school last night while I napped on the couch. When they returned, the Husband wore a bit of a deer-in-the-headlights expression while the Tongginator jumped up and down with glee, describing the "eye candy" art displays, her Book Fair purchases and the actual candy she felt fortunate to enjoy.

"Momma! They DID have eye candy there that I could eat! I TOLD you!"

After she went to bed, I asked the Husband to explain his stunned look. And he told me that the Tongginator? Knows EVERYONE at that school... by name. And that everyone? Seems to know her as well. And by everyone, he means teachers and students from kindergarten to fifth grade... as well as countless parents and faculty... and of course the principal, who remembers her from last year.

But it's not the fact that his butterfly is a social butterfly in real life. It's that his little girl? Lives in a much bigger world than the one that was hers even nine months ago. And it's that his little girl? Just grew up before his very eyes in less than two hours. And oh, how he wants time to stand still.

Because it's all going by way! too! fast!

30 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

Oh, that post just made me smile a goofy smile. :) They will ALWAYS be our little ones in our hearts that sometimes it just comes as a shock to see them not-so-little anymore, especially in an environment that they can claim as all their own, separate from the one in which we would always "see" them in our hearts. Am I making any sense? :)

Aus said...

Being a dad I can oh so relate - last night was the 'open house' at the school for 2nd - 5th grade...and yeah - even many of the staff at that school know our daughter already....not to mention all the friends....yeah....

hugs - aus and co.

bbmomof2boys said...

I keep warning ya! It does go by way!too!fast! I swear that my oldest was just rolling on the floor and now he's a daddy? Unbelievable!

And I'm sure that Big T will have that same stunned look when Little T starts school. I think its quite different for daddies and their little girls than it is for their little boys..

Sorry you've been sick! Have you been to the docs? Take care of yourself - you have some important things coming up!


Hugs,
Carla

happygeek said...

Get well!!!!
Hey TD, just you wait, pretty soon she'll be wanting to go for the eye candy (of the junior high variety:).

Kim K. said...

Very sweet post. They definitely grow up too fast. I was in denial at the parent-orientation for Emma's junior high last week. Where did all those years go? sigh...

prechrswife said...

That is too funny about the "eye candy." :-) They do grow up so fast, though. We have a little social butterfly, too. Everyone in Mary Joyce's school knows her, too. (Hers is only K3-Kindergarten, and 5 classes, but still...)

Debby said...

They do grow up so fast. Trust me there is still fun times ahead. I love my adult kids.
So cute about her being a social butterfly. I bet Dad was impressed and so proud.

suzannah @ so much shouting/laughter said...

this is wonderful. i hope you are feeling better! you do not, for the record, sound like a wimp...i think only men are like that when they're sick;)

Christina said...

I haven't been reading for very long but the Tongginator sounds like a very amazing little girl!

Anonymous said...

When our daughter Reed started school in Kindergarten, we regularly laughed that she seemed to know everyone in the city of 150, 000 people where we lived, we would go to the mall and random people would say "Hi Reed" and I would ask her who that was and she would say "oh that's so and so.." and this happened all the time. One day we were in the car near our home and we were stopped at the lights and a fire truck pulled up beside us at the light. Reed was in the backseat looking up at the truck and I was looking at it too when the firefighter in the back seat leaned out the window and said "Hi Reed!!!" the light changed and the truck proceeded, I looked at Reed and said, "Reed how do you know the fireman?" and she said innocently, "Gee Mom I thought you would have realized by now that I know EVERYONE!!!!" We laughed when we found out her class had visited the fire station earlier in the week, but it was the icing on the cake and we still laugh at how now in a new town and in Gr.8, our wee girl still seems to know EVERYONE!!!!

Holly said...

Poor TM. I hate it that you are sick again!
Let's just say you are building up immunity so when Tonggu Baby comes along, you will have super powers!
Hugs,
Holly

Chris said...

First of all, I hope you are feeling better!! Wow, ten pounds in six days????

Second, your husband is a rock star...!

Third, for some reason it is especially hard on Dads to accept that their little girls are (yes!)'growing up right in front of their eyes'!!

It's so funny how you mentioned that the Tongginator knows everyone at school...er, I mean that everyone seems knows her...
She sounds just like my Shea...EVERYONE seems to know her at school, at the mall, at the park...I don't get it??? Sometimes Shea introduces me to new people...lol!!

April said...

Oh Daddies have such a different perspective some times and it seems to hit them in a different way. When Hung deployed last year he watched as the kids grew in pictures and could not believe the change in his little girl when he came home. It made leaving last week that much more difficult b/c they do grow up. Overnight and there's nothing we can do but teach them to grow away from us and towards God.

Debra said...

awwww!
Feel better.

Kristi said...

Sorry to hear you have been feeling "sub-human" again. Hope you are on the mend soon!
And I know about the growing up thing. I mean, my oldest still has another year before kindergarten, but she never ceases to amaze me at all she soaks in at preschool and church.

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

it. only. gets. faster. [she says while trying desperately to grasp something to slow this ride down]

Patricia/NYC said...

Oooooh....feel better, TM!!!

Great post, as usual! It IS going by waaaaaay too fast!! First grade in September ALREADY!!!

And when we walk down these city streets, yep, EVERYONE says "Hi Kiara!" or(love this one), "Hi Ki!" (as in key)...nicknames too??!!?! Our girls...sigh...what can I say! Wouldn't trade them for all the world! Afterall, who would keep me on my toes?!?!

GET WELL!!!!

Love Letters To China said...

Oh I hope you start feeling better soon. I know so many people who are as ill as you are.

I think we're all feeling the same way about our children. My 7 yr old daughter is looking and speaking way beyond her years. And my little man (3 yrs) is changing minute by minute (not always the good kind of change!). I too wish they would just slow down and let us enjoy these years just a little more.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Colleen said...

oh my gosh I had no idea you were so sick : ( I hope you are feeling better? I seem to have come down with something nasty as of yesterday...I can only hope I lose a few pounds...but I doubt that. You are such a sweet mommy...happy she didn't miss out on the eye candy : )

LucisMomma said...

Aw. Hugs to you and I do hope that you are feeling better today. Praying for your health tonight (Friday).

So bittersweet, watching our babies grow up. wonderful that your husband got to see Miss T without Mommy along--he might not have noticed it all quite as much if Mommy were there greeting everyone, too.

We are experiencing our first licensed driver. I am nearly having trouble breathing, just thinking about it. You are so right, it all goes by too, too fast.

LucisMomma said...

PS--my Luci knows everyone and everyone knows her, too--and not because she is a terror, which is why I know *some* kids, lol. I am glad she knows so many folks because she is pulling me out of my very comfortable shell. I need that.

M3 said...

AW, feel better!!

(Go TongguDaddy!)

Asianmommy said...

How sweet! They grow up too fast.

Hope you feel better soon!

Annie said...

You are so right!! It goes by WAY too fast. I mean I am living it and I am already missing it!!! LOL!! So glad you are feeling better. We have had the gunk going around here to!!

Lisa (Briana's Mom) said...

They grow up WAY too fast! What a great post!

Kris said...

i don't want to be sick. but i want to lose 10 pounds that fast. hope you're better by now.

and they DO grow up way too fast!! it flies by. coming up on a YEAR since we first saw Ellis' face!

Heather of the EO said...

It IS going too fast and you ARE getting sick too much!

Elizabeth Channel said...

Ten pounds? That's insane! I hope you feel better soon though!

I'm not surprised everyone knew T. She's such a light!

Mahmee said...

Hey, I was on that 'diet' last year. I lost 6 pounds in 4 days. The results were great and all but getting there wasn't so swell. So sorry you are so sick.
TongguDad sounds pretty awesome. I guess he's a keeper! :-)
M.

Aunt LoLo said...

Heh...glad they had fun!

And so sorry you're sick. :-( Lack of eating is just about the LEAST fun way to lose weight that I know of! (Not that you can afford to lose much!)