About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, March 26, 2010

Learning All the Time

A couple of y'all wondered why I actually tortured myself with Wednesday's elementary school talent show. Why did I go? Did the Tongginator perform, but I just forgot to inform y'all? Umm... no. Instead... I was an idiot.

(HUGE surprise, I know.)

For some odd reason, I volunteered to videotape the teachers' modified version of The Evolution of Dance. I don't know why I did this, exactly, except that Miss A in the office is a cutey-patootie who loves my Tongginator. And I'm thinking ahead to all of the times the Tongginator will be IN the office in the coming years. So yeah, I confess... I'm trying to butter them up. Plus, seven children from our bus stop participated in the talent show, so I thought it would be a nice way to support them.

And if y'all are shocked that the Tongginator didn't actually perform in said talent show, I need to confess that this, also, was my fault. I wouldn't let her do it. Er... correction... I told her that she could sing a song in the talent show if she wanted to participate. But did my Little Miss Tongginator wish to sing?

Of course not... she wanted to perform gymnastics.

Never mind that my little gal has never, ever taken even one gymnastics class. And that this is her idea of gymnastics. And that, while the student body was overwhelmingly supportive and encouraging, I wasn't sure the Tongginator's act would go over all that well, even if she IS in kindergarten. Hence the song requirement.

Criticize me all you like, but I didn't want her to deal with even more teasing.

And it looks like I was right... because during the show? I told Ms. Confetti about the Tongginator's desire and she replied, "I think you were right... it's always much, MUCH better for them if they've actually seen the show first." And after the show? The Tongginator told me, "Momma, I'm gonna do this next year. But I don't think I should do gymnastics til I can do a cartwheel at least. Because some of the girls did flips and stuff. Maybe I'll sing a song or dance or something."

That's a great idea, Tongginator. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

And now for a few schoolwork photos...




Goodness I love journal writing, don't you???

17 comments:

Andrea said...

My oldest participated in his school talent show in 4th, 5th and 6th grade. Bless his heart, I shouldn't have let him! But I have to give him Kudos for doing it - I never would have had! Too many people looking at me and I would have ran off the stage! And yes, it's always a hoot to read their journal writing!

Aus said...

Morning TM - been gone a couple days and playing some catch up here - so in summary....

Yeah - love journal writing - it's really cool to see how our kids advance even in the space of one school year! And pictures count too!

Talent show - well Bless your heart for that - in our case it's the dance recital - and every year we do the same thing (but now that we have dancing daughters it's a lot more fun....and I've even danced with them.....no video tho...for which I thank the Lord above!)

Newborns - sorry - but there are times I thank God I'm a guy! ;)

hugs - aus and co.

bbmomof2boys said...

Hey...I happened to like that cartwheel!!

Journal witting is the best. I still have the journals of both boys and crack up at what they wrote.

Hugs,
Carla

Sherri said...

I knew you wouldn't let her do the talent show because of her bedtime prayer about Mommy remembering to let her do the talent show.

You did the right thing. And, as a teacher, you also know that buttering up the office ladies is also a good thing. My oldest son took our principal's daughter to the prom when they were in high school. Olivia was invited into the principal's office to see pictures of her brother and it made her day!

Buckeroomama said...

I have to say that one of my absolute favorite parts of J's school is their school journal. J used to bring one home every month, with at least 4 entries, but now we only get the journals once every quarter! In the school evaluation, guess what I wrote down? Heh.

Laura L. said...

I think you made the right decision on not letting her do the talent show.

Love the journal entries. So cute, and will be even more treasured with the passage of time.

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

and my husband wonders why I want to keep EVERY school paper. . .MEN!!

prechrswife said...

Love it!

Aunt LoLo said...

Umm...little background. Last night, I was in charge of food for our women's auxiliary dinner. It was a simple salad bar, with ladies bringing whatever toppings they liked. I also decided to make a cake in the shape of a lamb, because the theme was "Feed My Sheep"...and I'm crazy like that. (Get it? Eating a lamb...feed my sh....oh, never mind. ;-)) Anyhow, in an effort to keep the kids (and me!) sane while I baked and decorated a cake, and made 6 loaves of bread (did I mention I'm crazy?!) I baked ANOTHER cake and gave Ming Wai the leftover candy from my cake, and told her to go at it. Two bags of M&Ms, 4 Twizzler pull-aparts and half a bottle of sprinkles later...she had her masterpiece.

It was then that she informed me that she was bringing it with us to the party. Once arrived, she wouldn't leave me alone until I had put her "beautiful" cake...on the dessert buffet.

Oh yes, I did. Luckily, a few of the ladies had their own munchkins with them and they enjoyed Ming Wai's creation IMMENSELY. It looked especially fabulous next to the two gorgeous trifles, the pineapple upside-down cake, and ESPECIALLY the ganache covered chocolate bundt cake with raspberries.

All that said...I probably would have let Ming Wai perform gymnastics in the show...knowing full well that she would chicken out and never even make it onto the stage. HAHAHAHAHA. (Then again, at age 5...I'd probably be a little more attuned to the Teasing Potential. Right now, her entire "class" is only 4 girls!)

Michal said...

DUDE! I can NOT begin to count the times my Buttery Empress has appropriated my ideas as her own!!!!
Srsly! I get no credit.
Did you do the standard "Slap my own Forehead Move" ? I do that? It helps.
Ha! This is so funny to me!

Annie said...

Well good for you and there is nothing wrong with a little buttering up!!! Come to think of it, with 5 kids, I better start investing in some butter:):)

Jboo said...

Oh my -- the journal is so sweet and her pictures are too! Bonus points for you for videotaping!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Janet

delucchi family said...

Hi, Love the art work , I just posted some of Amys art work on my blog too!! Amys writing is a bit more archaic and her own creation.
How old is Tonginator?
Lots of Love
Jules
xxx

Laurie said...

Adorable journal entries! Her drawings are so sweet!

Myrnie said...

You are a lovely, lovely woman, agreeing to videotape :) (And I'm sure that Tongginator is already working on next year's act!)

Misty said...

i know that T is one speshul and smart cookie, but i'm totally blown away by the way she's able to relay her thoughts on paper!! so cool!
and, erm, not to "one up you" (oh, who am i kidding?) but avery is 8 mo old and i cant hold a newborn w/out a full on NEED to have one myself. and that newborn stage? id HARD, lol!!!

Kristi said...

Yeah, her cartwheels look a lot like the ones I see in my house right now. But just you wait until we start lessons...
And I Love her journaling!