About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, March 12, 2010

Glee-less But Still Laughing

Have y'all ever watched a movie or seen a television show that just feels so painfully "you," you almost can't bear to watch it? Because it has a storyline that so mimics your own painful, embarrassing history or a character that is a mirror-image to your personality, with all of its quirks and foibles, that you watch while peeking through the gaps of your fingers?

This past fall, I thought I found my people when the show Glee first aired.

Except that - ya know - I can't sing. And very few cute guys ever glanced at me, much less talked to me during high school. And I can't sing. And I didn't exactly have to dodge red slushies when walking down the hallways. And I can't sing. And I NEVER dressed as well as Rachel does. (I know! That's a totally scary thought, isn't it?)

And did I mention that I can't sing?

Still... I thought Glee was IT. The one. The show that best reflected the four torturous years of my high school experience. Only I was wrong... because yesterday I saw a movie that tossed Glee out into No Longer So Relevant To Me space. I saw a movie that made me cringe and laugh during ALL of the flashbacks. Y'all, I watched Never Been Kissed yesterday.

And I was absolutely rolling on the floor.

Have you seen it? The story centers around a former English class nerd with klutz tendencies and a unerring ability to embarrass herself, yet who still longs to belong. I know! I exerted extreme self-control during most of the movie, cringing while forcing my fingers to stay away from the fast-forward button. I laughed through some of the humiliating parts and buried my head underneath a blanket during others.

You know, the ones that almost felt too real to be funny. Except they were.

Funny, that is.

Like the movie moment that took me back to the first day of school during my junior year of high school... not one single person spoke even one word to me. Or the moments (yes, there were several) that made me cringe with humiliation as I relived my desperate and unsuccessful attempts to make friends with the A-Crowd. Or Josie's unerring ability to walk into walls and doors. Y'all, I once had the dubious honor of walking into a stop sign. And yes, I am aware of the irony. From start to finish, the movie reflected like a mirror image of my teen years.

Although I promise you my English teachers never looked liked Mr. Colson.

In fact, even my momma admits that my junior year English teacher looked like Ursula the Sea Witch from The Little Mermaid. And my senior year English teacher? Well, even if I tried to forget the fact that he was a complete and total pervert, I still wouldn't be be able to block the memory of his sweat stained shirts and comb-over.

But other than that...

It was a painful walk down memory lane that still managed to make me roll with laughter. So... I have to ask... am I the only one who flashes back to humiliating high school moments when faced with teen movies? Please say no. Please say no. Please say no. What movies or shows take you back in time, to those days of adolescent angst and insecurities?

25 comments:

Meia said...

So...being in high school right now...on one end of the spectrum I absolutely loathe watching anything about high school even if it's making a parody out of the stereotypical high school existence - because everything seems to fail with horrible hyperbolic nothings. On the other end of the spectrum I can't help but enjoy a few of the really ridiculous albeit entertaining movies. The "classics" and a few more modern ones come to mind like Sixteen Candles, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Breakfast Club...Hamlet 2, Princess Diaries, Mean Girls (OH SO stereotypical!!!)... Napoleon Dynamite - interesting one!

Aus said...

No - and maybe I should leave it at that? Ya want the bad news....there are a good many times in my adult life that I could flash back to as well!

And I WILL leave it at that!

hugs - aus and co.

Elouise82 said...

Well, the nice thing about being a former homeschooler is that until someone makes a movie about young employees in a local hardware store ... I'm safe.

But don't worry, I have plenty of embarrassing moments I can relive, all without the help of a movie!

autumnesf said...

So easy.

I WAS Kat in Ten Things I Hate About You -- without the having sex with the jerk to fit in in Jr. High part.

Elizabeth@Romans8:15 said...

Sixteen Candles definitely, although my mom watched Napoleon Dynamite with my sister and I and told us that the whole crowd reminded her of us in high school (thanks mom!!!!).

As for walking into things, I don't do it MUCH but when I do, I really do. I walked into a mirrored wall at a department store and then said EXCUSE ME....to my OWN reflection. Lame!!!!!!

Tonggu Grammy said...

Did you happen to think that the writers and producers had to have had many of the same experiences or they wouldn't have been able to protray it in the movie?

And yes, your English teacher junior year DID look like Ursula the Sea Witch and she acted worse.

Dawn said...

While I can't tie my high school memories to any movie in particular... you and I still share very similar experiences. Only mine wasn't a stop sign. Much worse! It was the handicap parking sign in the middle of a Walmart parking lot. I (literally) almost knocked myself out because I hit my head so hard.

Such fond memories.

Briana's Mom said...

The first two years of high school were really tough for me. I had a hard time making friends. I actually tripped walking up the stairs one day during my freshman year. I still hear everyone laughing at me. Scarred, for life. ;)

"Never Been Kissed" is a great movie. I totally relate to the teenage angst of John Hughes's movies - "16 Candles", etc. I would have done anything to be Ferris Bueller's girlfriend.

Michelle said...

Oh, I loved that movie! I have seen it way too many times, I'm sure. It made me want to go back to school just so I could have Michael Vartan as my teacher. I think Facebook tagging has proven that we have ALL had awkward high school moments. Just take a look at where I've been tagged. I look like the poster child for awkward teen years. lol

Journeywoman said...

Breakfast club--while I wish I could say I was Molly Ringwald--I was a cross between the brain and the basket case.

I even made myself a cap'n crunch sandwich once--it wasn't half bad.

The Source said...

OK I totally just took down the post I HAD planned for today so that I could do one on my movie. Which is going to cause so much trouble when my daughter gets home and reads it. She'll freak. But I did it just for you!

Suzy said...

Walked into a stop sign? OMGoodness, I am crying with this one. I spent all day one Saturday telling a friend, "Watch you step," as I led her around a college campus - me in sensible athletic shoes, she in heels. I finally realized she wasn't a klutz so I stopped the warnings on Sunday. She walked into a parking meter AND later fell down several feet from my parked car. Did I mention we were in our late thirties and sober? It so took me back to walking into a sliding glass door being totally stupefied that I could NOT stop the inappropriate laughter. And as for not being spoken to? Went to a party with almost the exact same experience. Went to work for a charitable organization with the same experience my first day. What an awkward group of individuals they turned out to be - and I'm sure it was them and not me because apart from that Jr. High party to which I'd been invited, I've never met such a chilly reception. It was as if I'd brought prime rib to a vegetarian party.

Holly said...

well I don't watch TV under normal circumstsances, but you've just helped me make my decision. Not sending Anthony to public high school next year. NOT GONNA DO IT!
Homeschoolin somehow...with all that is to come! :)

LucisMomma said...

I hated school. Loved the learning, hated the going. It was painful! One old high school person keeps telling my parents that " S should go to our next reunion! It's going to be a cruise!" and I am in horror...why on earth would I want to go on a cruise with the people who ignored me or tortured my poor teen soul through jr high and high school?

I put Never Been Kissed on my queue at netflix.

Jodi said...

Thank you for the kind and candid comment on my blog! :)

I do know that adoption is not all sunshine and roses. I have several friends who are adoptees and they have shared their trials, tribulations and difficulties that they had growing up as an adoptee, and that they still occasionally have as grown ups. I prefer to listen to their stories and learn from them rather than to "filter through all the stuff" on the blogs.

Unfortunately that woman keeps flooding my inbox with comments. I'm taking the high road and dropping the subject. Sometimes people have to agree to disagree.

By the way, I LOVE the movie Never Been Kissed, it's one of my all-time favorites! I've watched it so many times I have lots of lines memorized! :)

Good luck with your second adoption, I hope you get to bring your child home soon! And thank you again for commenting on my blog! :)

a little leprechaun said...

Love love love that movie!! Very funny but also you can just relate with Josie. At least I could. So glad others could too!! ;-)

I also enjoy Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. I like the end where everything gets put into perspective.

Hope you are feeling better!!
Hugs!!
Have an awesome weekend! I'm heading to Hearts At Home this weekend!! Have you ever gone??

Aunt LoLo said...

Heh. I blocked out most of High School...but I've never really found a movie, or show, that quite showed the weird that was my high school experience...

Natalie said...

I love Never Been Kissed. It too reminds me of my high school years. I can also relate to The Breakfast Club and 10 Things I Hate About You. Another one that hits pretty close to home is Juno. Though I wasn't a pregnant teen considering adoption, her high school experience was exactly like mine. I could pick multiple people from my past that fit basically every single character in that movie.
Natalie

Myrnie said...

Perhaps this is why I limit myself to...children's movies. Sigh. I CAN'T STAND THE CRINGE. Watching people make mistakes I know I made/dread making. Ugh.

Kristi said...

Goonies. Totally. I can still hear Sean Austin's words "It's our time, it's our time down here," as the popular girl debated on taking the well bucket up to the surface. I was part of the "mis-fit" crowd until I accidentally forced myself into the popular crowd as a junior because I was on the yearbooks staff and folks realized that I could get them in the book...

Magi said...

School was just one embarassing moment after another. For the most part, I considered it best if I went unnoticed. I was the kid hiding in the corner reading a book. Of course, a big reason was that I was always the new girl. I went to 13 schools between kindergarten and 12th grade. Twelve of them were actually my K-9 years. I was thrilled to finally stay at one school for 10-12. The movie that best describes my high school is probably Dazed and Confused.

bbmomof2boys said...

I put all highschool memories out of my head! Stay.out.of.my.head!!

Bad things back then - wrong side of the tracks, never fitting in, never being good enough..out.of.my.head!!

Hugs,
Carla

Andrea said...

I related a bit too well with Jenna from 13 Going on 30. I was a child of the 80's with my hot pink spandex belt and tuck and roll jeans. However I was never as cool as Jenna even thought she was and the cute boy next door, he didn't know I existed.

Cavatica said...

High school? What's high school? Did I go to high school?

thegypsymama said...

So did you end your high school career in the middle of a baseball field making out in front of the entire school to your very own soundtrack? Now there's a post I want to read!!