About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Build-A-Party

I just adore having friends like Canuck K because I can get away with being a slacker momma without the Tongginator experiencing too much hardship. Take the Tongginator's birthday party this year... we opted for a family party last week, starting our brand-new family tradition of alternating years between family and friend parties. Tonggu Grammy and the Colonel came, as did my sister, two nieces and the Tongginator's godparents.

It was very low-key. Which was probably a good thing, since I realized I was coming down with something just as everyone began gorging themselves on cupcakes. I ended up with the flu and - apparently - I infected the husband, both my nieces and Tonggu Grammy at the party.

Just call me Typhoid TM.

Canuck K and her twins didn't feel that my lame attempt at a party earned even a five on the 10 scale of birthday greatness, so they decided to host a little something for the Tongginator this past Friday. (Have I mentioned before how much I adore Canuck K?) We met at our local mall after school. That - in itself - made the Tongginator dance with glee, but it didn't end there.

Because Cinnamon and Spice also decided to indoctrinate the Tongginator in a huge way.

We headed to Build-A-Bear, y'all. And the Tongginator had never been. (I know! What can I say except to admit - again - that I am a slacker?) Oh, the Tongginator fell in love. The little heart poem. The squishiness test. The beauty salon where they clean up the bears. The agonizing decision about what! the! bear! should! wear!

Meet Fluffy, Snowflake and... Jenny. Yes, y'all, the Tongginator
named her bear Jenny.
And no, I have absolutely no idea why.

It took three times longer than planned.

Because, ya know, there is A LOT of pink and purple in that store. And do y'all notice that the Tongginator is wearing her "birthday dress" again... for the third time in less than two weeks? Methinks someone has a new favorite look. Too bad she couldn't be as decisive when it came to Jenny the Bear's outfit.

Eventually the Tongginator chose The Perfect Look for Jenny and we headed for the food court area to indulge in some brownies, complete with candles and a somewhat off-key rendition of the happy birthday song. And then the Tongginator made a wish and blew out her candles.

Er... actually, the Tongginator just pretended to blow out her candles. Because, ya know, we were in the mall. And something tells me mall security might get a little irked if we started a fire right in front of Starbucks. So the Tongginator blew across the top of her unlit candles and later told me, "Mom... I don't think my wish counts this time."

Aw, sweetie, of course it does.

Cinnamon, Spice and the Tongginator, feeling especially cool

Especially if you wished for special friends.

34 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

Aww, that's so sweet! Z loves to give her Dress-Up Monkey a piggyback ride, too. She's very tickled that she is able to give someone else a piggyback ride! Heh.

Kim K. said...

What sweet pictures. Build-a-Bear rocks!! That's still one of my favorite birthday parties for my Emma. Today is our 2nd Josie anniversary. I think we might need to do a little partying this evening at our household.

Elouise82 said...

What a special day! I love the Tongginator's creativity when it comes to names. Nothing run-of-the-mill for her! That child has a brilliant imagination!

happygeek said...

And that is why I am so glad I have boys:)
We like to walk past Build a Bear and look at it but I've never even been asked to go inside.
Fine by me.
Truly fine.
And honestly, if I had a dress as cute as that one I'd be wearing it as often as it was clean.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Happy Geek, I have a correction. FOUR times in less than two weeks. When I woke up this morning, she had the dress on again. And yes, I just put it in her closet late last night, after she went to bed.

jennifer said...

What a cute post. I love that!! I don't think we'll be visiting Build a Bear for quite a while if I can get away with it ;) Could be addicting!! ;)

autumnesf said...

What a cool day! I wonder if others feel sorry for my kids since we don't do birthday parties. Its always family...or when they get a little bigger its a spend the night with 2-3 other girls and they pick the activities...but not a party.

Heck, I did all the real work.... why do they get the party?????

Beach Mama said...

BABW's are always so special! We just trekked to Myrtle Beach (2 hours away) to go to BABW. It used to be a fall/spring break tradition for us. However, we haven't been in years and The Queen and The Princess have never been. I hope to post on it in a few days.

Stefanie said...

I love me some Build A Bear! Beware, once you go to, you'll want to KEEP going... those snuggly bodies and sweet faces are highly addictive :)

Annie said...

AWWWW!!! Looks like so much fun!!! We have never been to Build a Bear either but what a great bday idea for next year:) Hope you are feeling better!!!

The Source said...

We <3 Build-A Bear! Glad she has such sweet friends to share it with! And I love the non-birthday dress! It's too cute.

Kayce said...

Good times!! Build A Bear is fun except when the outfits start becoming a problem. :)

adoptionroad said...

My favorite doll (circa 1st grade) was named Jenny. And we didn't introduce BAB until last spring. So she's only a little behind. I haven't even taken Lydia there yet. She plays with wedding rings instead.

Lisa said...

Canuck K rocks!!

Big BAB folks here....loved it even before L, but couldn't muster the courage to actually shop there till she could "get it"! :) We made one with Lauren's voice recorded and sent it over to Baby T while we waited.....its beyond beloved.

LaLa said...

Love it...glad she had fun! We have been a few times ...got a dog on skates for a mere $75 as a "so sorry we forced you to scream your head off in Santa's lap" when she was two. LOL

prechrswife said...

I have to confess--we haven't been to Build-a-Bear either. One of these days... Looks like the girls had a great time, though. :-)

Sharie said...

That is so sweet!
Amelia has been to build a bear too many times to count - She hasn't been since last fall now - she's not allowed until she donates some of her animals - they now cover an entire loveseat in her playroom.
I do get by cheap however because Amelia, she prefers her bears NAKED!

Aus said...

Hey TM - it's my turn to have the flu - like I never take off work unless it's for fun - and I'm off today....blew about a perfect record (except for the diverticulities - but it's hard to count something the doctor wants to cut you about - but he relented!) Glad ya'll are feeling better!

Oh and T - kids wishes ALWAYS count!

hugs - aus and co.

my3 kids said...

So cute and so fun that your special friends planned this for your sweet little girl. Happy birthday Tongginator!!! We have been once and the girls loved it!!

Super Mommy said...

I don't know how mom's do this...how did you hold out so long to take Tongginator to Build a Bear? I mean, it's a right of passage for most young girls. We have tons-o-bears, skates, shoes, bows and yes panties for our bears too. You better watch out...she probably has the BAB Fever now. I love the name she picked out...Jenny, it's perfect!

Janet said...

I have taken none of my kids to Build a Bear. GASP! Bad mom that I am.

Sounds like a fun time!

Kristi said...

Laughing out loud at the "flameless candles!" Poor Togginator. I hope she feels that her wish does come true!
And for the record, we've never entered a B a B store either ~ yet...

Carla said...

Oh how I see another BAB trip coming up for us! Loving what they dressed their bears in. :)

Suzy said...

BAB is my fantasy world: everything fits, it all looks good, and it's very inexpensive. If only they had Build-A-Mom stores where I could shop for myself, I'd be sooooo happy. Barring that, I may need to borrow your personal shopper some day. It is, after all, a sad day when your daughter's bears are way better outfitted than you are.

Vivian M said...

Happy birthday!!! Hoping every wish you made comes true!

jen@odbt said...

Liking your idea of alternating years for birthdays. We started doing family outings/experiences but I know as the kids get older they may want to celebrate with friends.

Kim said...

Sounds like a perfect day of celebrating! There's nothing better than Build-a-Bear. However, the cost of those adorable little outfits will get ya everytime. Now that your an official member, I'm sure in no time you'll start receiving their mailings inviting you to come back for the newest seasonal outfit for Jenny.

She Writes said...

You are such a good mama! What fun your girl has. LOVE te picts.

Thank you for the comments at my blog!

xxAmy

Aunt LoLo said...

So, so sweet! What a fantastic little birthday party. *Grin*

a little leprechaun said...

My kids LOVE that store!! But it totally stresses the husband and I out!! I don't know if it's all the decisions for the kids or all the kids period. But it is a really cute and wonderful concept. And if you sign up for their rewards card (it's free) they will send you $5 coupons! Just FYI...

Hope your week is going well!
Hugs!

Mahmee said...

I see that birthdays drag out for maximum effect at your house too. Looks like a good time at Build-A-Bear. R bought a birthday bear (or dalmation - she named it spot...probably not the most original of names, no...very logical though. Ha) for the first time this year as well. That place ROCKS!
Hope you feel better soon.
M.

OziMum said...

Jenny. Cute!!! :) You are not a slacker Momma. I think I steal that honour!!!

Dita said...

Note to Typhoid TM

Build A Bear will singlehandedly drive you to the poor house!
Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Jenny will suck you dry...you heard me!

Loved this post and I have been such a blog slacker lately I see I have missed quite a few things 'round these parts. I'll be back in the light of day to catch up......but for now

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO THE MOST PRECIOUS TONGGINATOR I HAVE EVER KNOWN (albeit the ONLY Tongginator I've ever known but let's not go there)

Hugs,
Dita

Michelle said...

OK, these are seriously cute pictures, TM style!! Glad you are all surrounded by great friends.