About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Piles, Odds and Ends

I am a blogging loser this week, y'all. Because the Tongginator? Is NOT in school again today. Something about snow-covered sidewalks and piles of snow at bus stops and ice and blah blah blah. (And yes, some of you made me cry with your date suggestions yesterday. But I am bucking up and looking at it as a blogging opportunity. I shall keep y'all updated - with photos - on the Never-Ending Melt.) Today is Day... well, crud... I've lost count of how many school days we've missed. But at least my friend Dory's girls are hanging out with us today, since Dory's husband Marlin is having some scheduled knee surgery. It's just us four girls: me, the Tongginator, a five-year-old Nemo and her sister Fin, who is in fourth grade.

Yeah, I feel sorry for the nine-year-old, too.

I haven't returned a single email nor read any blogs in over three days. My dear friend Anne (who visited this weekend from out of town) said it's because I am suffering from MMS. That's Maryland Mom Syndrome, y'all, and can be easily diagnosed when observing twitching, sarcastic remarks about the school board and a slightly crazed look in a momma's eyes. Anne lives in UPSTATE upstate New York. And she said to tell all you Northern naysayers that it's actually pretty bad down here because Maryland roads aren't designed for huge snow piles, we don't have enough snow plows (plus, the ones we have basically stink, in her Expert Lake Effect Opinion) and rarely do Northern states get dumped with three feet of snow all at once.

So there! And nanny-nanny-boo-boo!

Heh.

But I must confess that the lack of school isn't the only reason I am a blog failure this week. I also (shhh...) didn't get home until after eleven o'clock last night because I had a girls night out. And no, the husband doesn't know how late I got in. I rarely get to do this kind of thing, but last night was important because we were all saying goodbye to a traitor friend who is moving to Ohio.

Sniff, sniff.

Yes, y'all, our beloved pastor and his family are making the trek to the mid-west to follow his first calling: youth ministry. At least, that's what they're SAYING. What I really think is happening is that all of this snow scared them off. I mean, they ARE from Louisiana.


I'm really gonna miss PW and her family. She? Is a riot! And her three girls rival the Tongginator. (Seriously. No, really: SERIOUSLY.) Mostly I'm just sad that I have to say goodbye again. I've lost entirely too many friends these past five years. And it really stinks.

(insert melodramatic pause)

Now that I've soften you up by pouring on the woe-is-me drama, I need to make a REAL confession. I'm so embarrassed to admit this, but... I've been cheating on the blog. I know! I'm terrible. But Valentine's Day changed everything for me, y'all. Because that's when the Husband gave me this little number:


For those who don't know, it's an I-Pod. And apparently I am one of the few in our crowd who didn't own one... until now. Who knew?!?!! But it IS pretty darn cool. Which means I am downloading music like crazy these days. And I need suggestions... what are some MUST-HAVE songs? Anything come to mind? And how do you organize them all? Because I'm a tad anal, you see. (HUGE surprise, I know!) So right now I have an: on-the-go folder, a Tongginator music folder, two Christmas folders (one for kids, one for grown-ups) and a "Mommy" folder of grown-up songs still suitable for young ears. Any other ideas?

Help!

22 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

I have two iPods (one won at a company raffle and the other a gift from a supplier) and I don't use them at all. One I'd given away to my brother-in-law and the other just sits here... Wish I could be of more help.

Must-have songs? One comes to mind: Chris Rice's "Lemonade." Google it or look it up on YouTube. :)

autumnesf said...

Hubs just talked me into an iphone (long drawn out story)...me...the cell phone hater that always owned the simplest phone...now has the iphone.

Oh my goodness I'm in orgasmic love.

Still looking for music myself so no help this way...share if you get good suggestions!

happygeek said...

OK, I know it's tough when non-snowy places get snow. I do.
But I am certain every home schooling mom from a cold place (or mom of littles who don't go to school) is having a hard time controlling the rainbows.

The thing I do when we have a stretch when we cannot go out (and there have been many) is to pick a prize for mommy when this is all done. Could be an outing, something small I wanted, a pedicure, whatever, and whenever I am ready to push my kids down the stairs I remind myself of the reward for good behaviour that is waiting for me when the weather clears.
Extrinsic motivation doesn't just work for kids:)

Dawn said...

I feel your pain, TM! The first winter we lived in Chicago, we had a winter like you're experiencing. Of course, we had expert snow plows... but even they couldn't dig us out a few times.

I'm a little green. No iPhone here. But, IF I had one, I'd google top 10 songs for my senior high school year and put those on it. Oh, and The Best of Abba, 'cause I'm cool like that.

Come visit my blog... I have a cat post up that I'm sure you'll enjoy... being the cat lover that you are! LOL

Aus said...

Yeah - OK - we got another 8" overnight last night - and I really need to clean the drive so we can get out - and so I'm taking a few mintues to fortifiy myself with a little more coffee before I start!

On the friend moving to Ohio - if they are anywhere near Cincy - make sure they have our contact info and we'll make sure any needs they have get met during the transition.

As for the Ipod - I think grouping by artist is a must - but that's just how I am!

need to feed the monkeys (I mean youngens) and get to work -

hugs - aus and co.

LucisMomma said...

All I know is our schools here are out again, too--day 6? I don't really know--we homeschool so it doesn't really matter. But happy geek is right, I'm having trouble with all this...just want a break!! Especially from HyperNeighborBoy who MUST play with our DS or .. or .. I don't know what could be worse. :P

Anyhoo, I have just discovered Michael Buble--he is so cute! Here is a song that a soon-to-be Mommy of a DD from China posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AJmKkU5POA "Haven't Met You Yet"

adoptionroad said...

I'm going to do my best to not exhibit MMS since I was a Maryland Kid instead... but are you seriously just getting an iPod!? I would have guessed that is how you've kept up with all your blogging. You must just be really fast on your computer at home! Google Reader mobile will be your best friend. Don't forget all the free and fun apps... USAA if that's your thing, Showtimes, TWC, WeatherBug, Target, Lonely Planet Mandarin, Pandora, Amazon.com, Starbucks (customize your personal drink), NASA, iBubblewand, abc Lite, FishFrenzy, and more! I never pay for an app if I can help it.

My favorites in the music category and varied and many: Nathan Clark George (Rise in the Darkness), Brooke Fraser (Albertine), Slugs & Bugs & Lullabies by Andrew Peterson and Randal Goodgame (all time family favorite!), Keith & Kristyn Getty, Sara Groves, Jill Phillips (Writing on the Wall), Curious George soundtrack by Jack Johnson, Yo-Yo Ma (Obrigado Brazil), Vicky Beeching, Lenka (The Show - single), Fireflies (single) by Owl City. That should explain how weird and "diverse" I am. ;-)

Sharie said...

I'm on my 2nd iPod, but still don't have an iTouch. I NEVER use it, but would be addicted to an iTouch which is why I don't have one.
I do use iTunes and I have my music organized by decade, artist and type. Yeah I'm a bit anal too:)

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

lol. You know the best part of your post? the finger smudges on your ipod. I know, I'm weird. I just hate when someone says they love something and you KNOW they never use it. You, my dear, are truly using that ipod. . .and I don't have one. I have a cheapy mp3 I use when I work out. . .which appears to be seldom these days. Hang on. Spring will be here. . .eventually. Think of all the stories you'll have of the winter of '10. : )

The Source said...

I don't know how to work that thing. Darling Daughter has one and frequently flings it at me, telling me to "Hold This!" I've seen her do all sorts of stuff with it, but I haven't managed to figure out what or how she makes it happen.

Mei Ling said...

Folder?

I thought iPod Touch music was sorted by the Big Alphabetical List, the artist name, the album title, or On-The-Go?

What's this about Folders and how can I do it?!

Janet said...

How about "The Devil Went Down to Georgia?" ;-)

jen@odbt said...

MMS - I have VMS :)

I've been digging all the Glee mashup songs.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

What a great gift..... It sounds like you are already lovin it....and are super organized too(of course)

I say anything Donna Summer..... I {Heart} her.....takes me back to my younger years!!!

Enjoy:)

Lisa

Anne said...

: )

Kristin said...

I gave my ipod to my son when his croaked. Just never used it!

I hope your snow goes away and school resumes. Very, very soon!

Mahmee said...

Nanny-nanny-boo-boo?! Ha ha. I thought I was the only person under 85 that used that phrase!
I'm guessing that 'Let It Snow', 'Winter Wonderland' and songs of a similar topic will not be appearing in your I-Pod play list?
Just get a little Burt Bacharach, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Wonder, Joan Jett, The Doors, Queen, and Earth, Wind & Fire on that thing and you are set for any mood.
M.

Patty O. said...

Can't help you with the I-Pod. I barely know what those things are. Yeah, I am a bit behind the times, I know....

I think if I were you and had my kids home that long, I would seriously go mad.....

Elizabeth Channel said...

Yep, we're on day number 7 ourselves but they are going back tomorrow and I am ecstatic!

I know you will love your I-Pod!

Myrnie said...

Oh sad that they're leaving! I know how much you'll miss them- I hope their new ministry works well for them.

Hmm...my favorite songs right now are a little off the beaten track. MLK by U2, Defying Gravity from "Wicked," Glycerine by Bush, Red Light by Johnny Lang, Birdland and Berkley Square, both sung by Manhattan Transfer.

Aunt LoLo said...

Go find anything from Owl City. You're welcome. *grin*

Hope your girl gets back to school soon!!!

Cindy said...

If it will make you feel better I don't have an I- pod either!, and if I di I would NOT know how to use it!

but if you evr do learn to dowl laod
what about Stand by me!"

I l ove that song!

I really feel for you in all that SNOW too!

the sun will shine again soon!
remember the SOn shines every day too:)