About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, January 27, 2010

a WILD word

Every week, Ms. Confetti gives her students one "Wild Word" for them to learn, with the goal being for her little kindergartners to learn the concept of synonyms. This week the Wild Word of the week is "like." When the Tongginator and I looked at her Wild Word list, she drew a complete blank. Which was kinda weird, seeing as how this is the first time THAT has ever happen.

(My girl? ALWAYS has something to say. Most especially early in the morning.)

I don't help the Tongginator with her homework anymore because I want her to learn to complete her assignments independently. Our typical routine is for the Tongginator to work on her homework, then call me over so that we can double-check it together. This time, however, I decided a few prompts might help.

TONGGU MOMMA: Well, this word is like, as in "I like my Doggy." And "I like cookies." Can you think of any other words that you could use instead? "I...... my Doggy?" or "I... cookies?"

TONGGINATOR: Umm... when I don't like something, I say "no thank you, I don't care for that." So does like mean that I DO care for it?

TONGGU MOMMA: Yes! Can you think of any others?

TONGGINATOR
: (a bit of a pause, then brightening) LOVE! I love my Doggy! And enjoy! I enjoy Doggy. And I enjoy eating cookies!

With some additional prompting, the Tongginator and I came up with several more words. But I decided that I should call a halt to the synonym list when the Tongginator came up with this little gem...

TONGGINATOR: I love my Doggy, Momma. I like him. I care for him. I enjoy him. I prefer him over Pandy. Oh! And I sleep with him, too, Momma! Write that one down! Like means to sleep with!

No can do, Tongginator. We wouldn't want to give Tonggu Daddy a heart attack. Because that's exactly what would happen if he learned that you thought sleeping with and liking were synonyms. Because, oh baby, it's a wild world. Filled with wild words.

39 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

Now, that is wild!! Bwahahaha!

Rhonda said...

Hilarious!

Kim said...

too funny!

redmaryjanes said...

Yeah....I agree with you :) Let that one slide.

autumnesf said...

I think daddy is in for one wild ride with this one! LOL!

prechrswife said...

You just never know what they will say next. :-)

bbmomof2boys said...

Just tell TD that my dh has a shot gun that he can borrow for any of T's "likes"....

Hugs,
Carla

Briana's Mom said...

LOL! She's too smart for her own good.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Oh yeah.... that would be an instant heart attack!! I would keep that one between you girls:)

She is a riot!

Colin and Jill Canada said...

Ohmygoodness! She's a WILD woman! Watch out Mama! Haha!

Jill

Patricia/NYC said...

Good decision, TM!! ;)
Oooh baby, it's a wild world...
This is too funny!!

Jillene said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! That is WILD!!

Laura L. said...

Hilarious! It's so wonderful that you are documenting these things. Many years from now you can share that with the Tongginator and have a good laugh. Of course I mean when she's like A Grownup.

The Gang's Momma! said...

Oh. You really ought to start investing in a pharmaceutical company that manufactures those lovely, anti-anxiety meds. Tonggu Daddy is gonna need them. I'm guessing sooner than later :) The profits of your investments will maybe off-set the panic he feels when the hormones kick in :)

Laurie said...

I am rolling!! The liking/sleeping with thing is tooooo funny! My 4 year old asked me the other day if she could start pointing with THIS finger (the not so nice finger) since it was the longest. Oh dear! I just told her the pointer finger was called the pointer for a reason, and she needed to use THAT one to point, not the other one. Besides, isn't it rude to point anyway? :)

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

there are some things dads are not meant to hear. too funny.

The Source said...

So cute! And so innocent. I wish they could stay that way until they're 30.

Holly said...

Still laughing. Oh that GIRL! Spicy and innocent!!! Have you read Linny's blog today? (A Place Called Simplicity)?
I was still laughing from hers...so it continues.
Good exercise really! :D

Annie said...

Hahahaha!!! That wild child!!! LOL!!

Krista said...

Oh wow! Thanks for the laugh - I needed one today!

Kristi said...

Oh my...
that is hilarious! And I can also totally understand the logic!

Lisa said...

lol this assignment should come with a warning..."may induce gray hairs" :)

Magi said...

Now that story is a keeper!

Nicole said...

HAHAHA!

Wade's World said...

I'm laughing so hard at my desk (while I'm pretending to be working) that I just snorted.

You have no idea how much I just liked, I mean enjoyed that!

LaLa said...

Too funny!!!

jen@odbt said...

Just have to say how lucky you are to have a teacher like Ms. Confetti. I only wish this was what my daughter was doing in kindergarten.

Mama.The.Dragon said...

My Monkey just asked me "What's so funny?"

Me: Nothing.

Her: Then why are you laughing so much?

Mama King said...

LOL! That it is...a wild, wild world!

Sharie said...

Oh boy!

Cavatica said...

But what about Ms. Confetti? Won't she get to see T's WILD WILD word?

Oh, how I can't wait for elementary school. Wild words, taking BB to school in MY pajamas... the adventures never end.

Dita said...

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Ms. Confetti's class?
She has the BEST assignments.

And you, well, TM...you can't sheild that man forever. Little T is really a teenage in disguise, you know.

Aunt LoLo said...

*snort* Save this post and show it to her in about 15 years...and watch her blush. *grin*

She Writes said...

Great project and good decision on your part :)!!

CC said...

luvin this story and super great luvin this assignment!!!!!!

And uh (cough cough) if we didn't "help" (and my wild word here is "drag") The Flash through his homework, the result would be abysmal. The kid's only in 1st grade and already treating homework like the plague.

Michelle said...

Funny girl!!

Goosegirl said...

Oh man! I just spit my water on the screen when I read the last part! Hilarious!!!

Mahmee said...

And so it begins....
M.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Don't you just cherish all of these precious conversations? I love it! BTW...she has fabulous handwriting!!!!!!