About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, January 25, 2010

What Do Nun Pajamas Look Like?

Tonggu Grammy spent Friday night at our house because we live relatively close to the airport and she had to catch an early Saturday morning flight out of town. She's going on another missions trip, this time with several nuns and a priest in tow.

(And no, she's not Catholic. And no, I don't exactly know how this all came about.)

Anyways, Saturday morning, just before she and the husband left for the airport at the ungodly hour of BeforeSevenO'Clock, Tonggu Grammy let out a horrified gasp. It seems she forgot to pack warm weather pajamas, instead cramming flannel sleepwear into her luggage. This wouldn't be THAT big of a deal, except she is heading to a very warm weather climate (you know, near the equator) AND she's sleeping in a dormitory style room with nuns (so, you know, she can't exactly sleep in the buff).

Being the kind, loving daughter that I am, I scrambled to find something that might work for her to sleep in.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much cold all year long, so I wear flannel pajamas all twelve months, no matter the season, unless - of course - I've donned nightwear that isn't exactly designed for sleeping. Which would be REAL popular with the nuns, I'm sure. I ended up pulling out the only over-sized t-shirt I own. It's a relatively new one, so Tonggu Grammy should feel absolutely no embarrassment wearing said t-shirt during her missions trip. My only requirement before loaning her the shirt?

She has to take a couple of pictures with the nuns while she's wearing it.

"Wo3 yu4 yu2 chun3" or - in English - "I'm with stupid."

Of course at this point in time, my momma and I both rush to assure EVERYONE that NO, the nuns are NOT in ANY way stupid. Which means they probably won't allow any photographs anyway. But I'm still holding out hope. Because I really, really want to know what nun pajamas look like.

Any guesses?

22 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

I wonder if there will be any Chinese nuns in the group...? Now that would be funny! :)

Shanna said...

I laughed so loud that I woke up the toddlers (and nearly peed my pants) when I read the translation. That is what I get for reading blogs at 5 a.m. I should be doing laundry :(
I must have a shirt like that!

The Source said...

This totally cracks me up! I can picture your mom wearing that on her trip, and I don't even know her. I NEED a shirt like that! It's hilarious! But wait. Is that really what it says? Are you sure? Cause what if it said something ugly and I wore it to church? But you know some Mandarin, right? Is that how you spell stupid? Are you sure it says I'm WITH stupid and not I AM stupid??

I'm thinking nun pajamas look something like the nightgowns the girls wore on Little House on the Prairie. Big white billowy tents with turtle necks and long sleeves. Made out of flour sacks.

Sharie said...

If she's traveling with any nuns like those I know well they will SO allow photos:)
Not sure about the pjs thing, but I'm guessing none will wear a a fabulous shirt like that:)

Football & Fried Rice said...

Oh, I never even imagined - what if one of them was Chinese or read Chinese?! HA! TG might not be invited back on any missions trips!

Let's see? What do nun pajamas look like?I am imagining something pretty colorful - you know - since they wear the natural colors during the day - I'll bet they are hot pink, purple, neon. Yeah - that's what I'm going with.

3 Peanuts said...

Oh that cracks me up!

LaLa said...

Love it!! Can't wait for the pics....please let there be pics : )

Wade's World said...

That's hilarious!!!

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

2 bucks says one of the nuns steals the shirt and takes a picture standing next to your mom. . .any takers? : )

Nicole said...

Not sure what the nun's pajamas would look like, but I'm fairly certain that they won't be the kind that are, ahem, not designed for sleeping.

Sarah said...

I think it depends on the order. My guess is it's some layer of what they already wear every day or something like it that works for sleeping.
When I went on that retreat in June my friend asked our dinner group if they had any questions. I, being the only one who had known her in her "pre-nun" life and knowing how running was/is a hobby of hers, just had to ask, "Yeah, do you run in that thing?"
She does. Rosary beads and all. I swear.

Aunt LoLo said...

I, for one, would LOVE to know what nun pjs look like. :-)

I'm voting for white nightgowns...

prechrswife said...

That is too funny!

Dawn said...

As for the nun pajamas, I'm betting we can all at least guess at one or two colors they might be! LOL

Pug Mama said...

oh man! reading the title to this post, I was all excited about hearing the answer - no such luck!!!

That shirt ------ LOVE IT!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Oh my.... I hope she gets a picture too.....that would be hilarious!!

mumma to many said...

I hoping they are like the ones we wouldn't sleep in as they do feel very nice next to the body and sometimes we have to branch out of T-Shirts and pants! LOL!

I remember one year giving some Nun's 101 uses for a dead pope! Best Christmas present they had they spent most of the day laughing!
They have wicked senses of humour! Well the ones I know!
Hugs Ruth in NZ

ShackelMom said...

I knew a girl who was staying at the convent across the street from us here in the Philippines. She had to sleep in something that would pass for decent clothing, in case they had to run outside at night in their sleeping attire-- shorts and a T-shirt were acceptable. I wonder if that was the rule for the nuns as well. Let us know!

Suzy said...

My great aunt, Sister Mary Brendan, was a nun (I know, you'd have NEVER guessed that what with her name & all). She would visit my great Aunt Cecelia (not a nun), and even spent the night at my house once. She had a fairly regular nightgown. It was fairly long, seems like it was dark gray. Who knows, though. She may have borrowed that from Aunt Cecelia. I'm not sure that any of the women in that family ever had Fancy Nancy nightgowns or pj's. Be sure to let us know how your mom came to join this trip & what modern day nuns wear at night when they're on a mission trip to a warm climate.

thegypsymama said...

BWAAAHHAHAHAHHAHAA - That just made my day!

Cavatica said...

Ha ha... you are tricky. I think they sleep in the nude and your mom's gonna be really embarrassed. There won't be any pictures. Naked nuns? No way!

CC said...

I can't WAIT to see the pics!!!!!!