About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, January 11, 2010

College Plans

Recently, the Tongginator has been fascinated with college and college students, probably because this lovely lady stopped in to visit us on New Years weekend. She was in our teen small group for five years... and this spring she'll be graduating from college.

(We are SO getting old.)

Anyways, the Tongginator's fascination with all things university has led to some interesting conversations, including this one...

TONGGINATOR: Momma, when it's time for me to go to college, will you tell me which ones aren't too expensive, so I can pick which one I can go to?

TONGGU MOMMA: Oh, honey... of course we will. But - you know - just because a college is expensive doesn't mean you can't go there. Momma and Daddy will only have a certain amount of money to give you for college and we'll tell you what colleges cost that much, but if you want to go to a different college - a more expensive college - you still may be able to go there. Momma and Daddy will give you the money we have for school and then you can either take out a loan or work or maybe even get a scholarship.

TONGGINATOR: Okay... but what's a loan?

TONGGU MOMMA: That's when the bank lets you borrow some money, but then you have to pay it back a little bit later.

TONGGINATOR: Oh... okay... and what's a scholarship?

TONGGU MOMMA: That's when you work really, really, really hard in school... and you do really well on your tests... and get really good grades... and then someone will give you money to help you pay for college. And you don't have to pay it back.

TONGGINATOR: That sounds good. That's what I'm gonna do.

TONGGU MOMMA: Well, then you'll have to work really, really hard in school, honey bear. And - even then - sometimes you still might not get a scholarship. Momma got a scholarship to help pay for college, but Aunt KitKat, who worked just as hard, didn't. So you can try, but it doesn't always work out that way.

TONGGINATOR: But why didn't Aunt KitKat not get a scholarship?

TONGGU MOMMA: She just didn't, honey. Not everyone does.

TONGGINATOR: Well, I will. I'm gonna work really hard in school. And I'm gonna write all my letters with straight lines... unless they are supposed to be curvy... and I'm gonna listen to my teacher and learn every day.

TONGGU MOMMA: I think that's a great idea, Tongginator.

TONGGINATOR: And then I can go to any school I want to go to, even if it costs a lot of money. Because when I grow up I want to be something really important. I'm gonna be a Rainbow-ist.

A Rainbow-ist, y'all.

And for those unfamiliar with the term, a Rainbow-ist (according to the Tongginator) is someone who makes rainbows - REAL ones, not those other kind that made us all laugh. I've tried to explain to the Tongginator that I don't think she's qualified for that job, but she refuses to listen. She is determined. And adamant. So now I'm wondering if there are any scholarships out there for Rainbow-ists.

Especially ones who wish to wear pink flip flop princess shoes with bows to work.

32 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

I, for one, will be cheering her on! What a lovely thing to want to be --a rainbow-ist. :)

bbmomof2boys said...

I have a feeling that she'll do just that!

In 5th grade my youngest son had a career day in his class. Someone who worked at Sears really impressed him because he came home and announced that if he couldn't be a baseball player he was going to work at Sears! I think he should get a job with your T because he's gone from one side of the spectrum to the other with those 2 choices!

Oh, btw - I didn't realize you were a Junebug!! :)

Hugs,
Carla

Desiree' said...

A rainbow ist, very pretty!! Our kids have the range of "want to be's" going but Hope, ahh she is going to be a brain doctor. She wants to operate on people's minds....
(not sure if that's a good thing or not yet...LOL)

Tonggu Grammy said...

OK, I've got it! Steer her towards the University of Hawaii home of the Warrior Rainbows. That's got to be a place where you can become a Rainbowist. Of course, TD may not want his baby at the party school AND you DO remember how they used to party. I know, don't tell him and maybe he'll agree to let her go.

Elouise82 said...

I think the Tongginator is already a Rainbow-ist ... brightening up people's grey days! I know, I know ... not as exciting as making REAL rainbows. If she does have to take out a loan, she can always pay it back with that pot of gold at the end of every rainbow ...

happygeek said...

That girl makes me smile.

Aus said...

Well - I'm thinking that there probably IS a rainbow ist - I never thought that my son would be attempting to grow nerve tissue with the goal of reversing 'irreversable' paralysis!

And as for paying for it - for a child like that I'll co-sign a loan!! :)

Nothing is impossible - the impossible simply takes a little longer. You're and adoptive mom - you know that to be true!

hugs - aus and co.

Logical Libby said...

My six year old nephew says he is going to be a Jedi. I just hope he means a real one and not a geek at sci-fi conventions.

Tisha said...

That is so cute, I don't think that I would want to convince her otherwise. :) My Kensie wants to be a firetruck AND a doctor when she grows up. I can't convince her that she means fire woman, and not fire truck. Maybe there is a school that gives scholarships for both rainbowists and fire trucks/doctors. ;) Have a great day!

Holly said...

Dear God,
I know You're God and all, but if you ever need I mean WANT a little help, there's the sweetest little girl down here who would love to help you make the sign of Your covenant...just so you know.
Wait. You already know. Of course.
I'd just like to put in my support for this endeavor.
Love,
Holly

Dita said...

The Tongginator NEVER ceases to amaze me.

She is every bit a Rainbowist RIGHT now...she brings every color and every thought with her no matter where she goes...and inspires us all.

I adore that child of yours!

xoxoDita

Nicole said...

That's awesome, I like how she's going to get a scholarship. A rainbow-ist is a worthy goal!

BTW, the girl who I babysat as an infant to five years old, she is finishing university this year. OLD.

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

aww, yet another job my color-blind son shall never achieve. . .Good luck, Tongginator, I know you can do it! I look forward to seeing your rainbows!! (If Kyler can't be a rainbow-ist, someone special should be!) : )

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

and then I read the link, and realized your mom got all accurate and stuff. . .oh well, dream small, Tongginator, dream small. ; )

La-La-Liene said...

What a great career, a rainbow-ist!

Eriks last night is still determined to play football for the Indianapolis Colts and plans to play college football for University of Texas. Trying to explain to him that not everyone makes a football team is too hard right now. I'm just not ready to potentially dash his dreams since he's so serious about everything! Even if it's a possibility, he automatically takes it as a no. He needs to keep some hopes and dreams alive!

Suzie said...

I imagine this world would be a much better place if we had some certified Rainbow-ists in it!!

Aunt LoLo said...

Hmmm....actually, I hear Detroit is hiring rainbow-ists right now. She should check it out! LOL

Mamatini said...

Easy. Get that girl a prism and let her be a Rainbowist right now!
Don't need a scholarship or a college degree. She'll be casting rainbows all over the place!

(What an awesome career plan. Brings new meaning to "What Color is Your Parachute?" Love that Tonggu creativity!)

jen@odbt said...

We could use more rainbow-ists in the world. She is a smart girl!

Sarah said...

She could go to school in DC to a certain one in particular, and get an alum scholarship, because you have friends in high places :) And yes she can become a rainbow-ist there too.

Janet said...

What a lofty aspiration! Not many people make it to the high status job of a rainbow-ist. Isabelle wants to be a lion tamer. Oh, and a have a couple of kids, too. :-)

Football & Fried Rice said...

I am going to go out on a limb and say that YES - by the time Tongginator is applying for scholarships - there will still be some available for aspiring Rainbow-ists.

it will save you & the hubs TONS of money.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I think this country needs a Rainbow-ist......and the Tongginator would be perfect for the job. Flip Flop princess shoes and all:)

xo,

Lisa

Kristi said...

Rainbow-ist. Perfect!

Sharie said...

Amelia has many many ideas of what she wants to be when she grows up, a ballerina, scientist, electrical engineer, teacher, ice skater and more - Rainbow-ist is not on the list:)

Annie said...

Oh I wouldn't put it past her:):):)

Kayce said...

We just had this conversation with Big J last week. He's still unsure what he wants to be when he grows up...I'll have to mention rainbow-ist. LOL!! Good stuff!!

Michelle said...

I hear Harvard now has a "Straight Lines" scholarship for future Rainbow-ists. he he. What cute responses from Little Miss T. She has quite the imagination. But seriously, if a kindergartner could earn a scholarship for reading, she would SO be taking that money home. She will go far!

Myrnie said...

It's awesome how...focused she is :)

Chelsea Gour said...

I'm pretty sure wearing pink flip flop princess shoes with bows to work will be a prerequisite for getting into a school with a rainbow-ist major anyway! ;)

Patty O. said...

I can't think of a more noble calling or a person more likely to succeed in said calling. Your daughter is amazing!

Cavatica said...

I'm with Chelsea Gour. I think she has the wardrobe for rainbow-ist down! What do you think God was wearing??? Sheesh. I'm sorry to say, if she's anything like the original rainbow-ist your in for a huge calamity prior to your rainbow. Get on her good side and can you row a boat? Also, I'm a bit north of you. Can you pick me up?

My daughter several times told us that her favorite color was "rainbow." She doesn't wear pink flip flop princess shoes, but rather penguin slippers. I'm not sure what it all means. She's not quite 3 and hasn't picked a profession yet. She does do a good job of cleaning up the world with a wet-wipe, though. Might come in handy after that calamity.