About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Carol for 2009

All I can say is that y'all surely know your Christmas songs! I have material for years now... YEARS! The husband is gonna kill me, but 2010 just may be the year for The Christmas Song, as sung by Alvin and the Chipmunks (and of course Rhonda kindly suggested I insist everyone do the voices, too), although Polar Bear's idea of I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas may win out in the long run.

As for Mahmee: for shame! Walking Round in Women's Underwear was last year... LAST year. As in 2008. EIGHT! Not nine! Will I NEVER live that down? *insert blush here*

Alas, it was Chelsea Gour who won this round, y'all. Congratulations! The beloved Christmas carol I decimated for 2009 is God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Oh yes, I did. On the cheese scale, I'd give it a seven out of ten. The high water mark was quite definitely 2007, when I completely massacred Frosty the Snowman. The line showcasing the depths to which I sunk? The Tongginator was described as having "two long pigtails and a button nose and two eyes as dark as coal."

I am hanging my head in shame.

And I think we should all have a moment of silence for poor Frosty.

And possibly the Tongginator.

Several of y'all guessed The Twelve Days of Christmas and you were right... in 2004. Other past favorites include Snoopy's Christmas and Sleigh Ride. Before I began murdering Christmas carols, I looked to Moore's famous poem Twas The Night Before Christmas and Dr. Seuss' The Grinch That Stole Christmas. And before that? I didn't write Christmas letters.

The world was better off, I think.

Anyways, I'll share the letter next week, so that the four friends and relatives who actually prove their love to me by reading read my blog and Chelsea can receive the Christmas letter for real before seeing it virtually at Our Little Tongginator. Plus, I'm still trying to come up with a one syllable word for the Husband and a three syllable word for the Tongginator. If y'all have any ideas, I'd appreciate them. Fortunately my name in real life is two syllables, which doesn't exactly gel with Tonggu Momma, but works great when one uses TM.

And now I want to leave y'all with a holiday smile. I'd like to reintroduce you to a little someone the Tongginator's former preschool teachers dubbed Quasimodo, the Christmas Angel.


Isn't she just precious? Even though her head should be centered over the blue hand... er... body? (Hence the teachers' nickname of Quasimodo, although I personally would have dubbed her Quasimoda. And yes, I know that Biblical angels are scary and male. But Christmas angels are cute, bubbly and female. Because it's Christmas, for goodness sake.) Regardless, I'll be hanging the Tongginator's Christmas angel up on my wall every Christmas from now until eternity. Unless the Tongginator somehow "accidentally" destroys her. Because if she can accidentally kiss someone, she can definitely master the art of accidentally shredding some paper. Notice how I placed it in a secured vault this year? I'm not taking ANY chances because I love it THAT much.

So what holiday art project do YOU most treasure from your child's preschool days?

17 comments:

Love Letters To China said...

I absolutely treasure a paper plate angel that has her two year old picture on top as its head. Also a tongue depressor reindeer. They are my absolutely favorites!

Take a peek:
http://loveletterstochina.blogspot.com/2009/11/oh-christmas-tree-part-due.html

Aus said...

Well - I made a good effort. I like that you ask questions in your blog too - makes commenting more fun!

So - for TD in one syllable - he / him / dad - but matching a rhyme is important - can you give us the rhyming word? As for three syllables for TN, T-Na-Tor? After all - we all know who it's about!

As for Quasimodo - your Latin is off - possible endings singular include -us, -i, -o, -um, and -o depending on case. Plurals for the -o possiblities are are -is and -is, therefore it must be Quasimodis...and sorry - Fr. Aldric (God rest him) would simply have a fit with the arbitrary gender change, it would refer to it not as a 'free translation' but as a as 'free from' translation (not that I would have ever been accused of that!)

Not much in Holiday projects from the kids - but there is a painting made by middle daughter at age 3 or 4 that ended up framed titled 'Nurse Marie' - and one of the family as stick people that ended up on a tote bag!

hugs - aus and co.

autumnesf said...

I love that angel! Now that is art!

Hey- come on over to my blog post from yesterday to comment so you can win a new nativity set from Rome. It rocks. I want it.

The Source said...

It would have to be the Nativity that DD made from empty toilet paper rolls when she was 3.

Wanda said...

I little cotton ball, styrofoam and toothpicked Frosty the Snowman. Which is falling apart now...a few years later. Should have put it in a shadowbox.

Psst.....you forgot the 3 zeros after the 4 friends who visit here. hehe

Kim K. said...

Darling handprint angel. I think I need to borrow that idea to decorate Nana's Nursing home room.

Last year, we made handprint Christmas trees right before Josie's hand surgery. I wanted to preserve her extra digit on paper. I know it sounds weird. But it was a part of her life that has an important history.

Sharie said...

I love that angel! I was at my sister's last year, her girls are 23, 20 and 17 and I was SO envious of all of her handmade Christmas ornaments...so my FAVORITE Christmas decoration is now the wreath shaped ornament made from puzzle pieces that Amelia made at school last year - has her picture right in the middle. It hangs right in the middle of my tree!

I saw the coolest frame the other day...similar to what you have above, but opens from the front, so you can easily change out your child's artwork. Might be an investment in my near future:)

Cindy said...

Oh thank you you made me think and I have got to go find it too
My som colored me the prettiest
Nativity scene when he was about seven!
I have got to go look for that NOW! in a few minutes! and see what else might be in that baby book!
See back then that is what we used we did not have this high tech stuff! (LOL)
we used markers and crayons and put it up for ages
NOW just oh where did I put that too??
Thanks for reminding me!

Also I love your poem something they want
needs
wears and reads!
I am all about that reading!

thanks again
Cindy

Lisa said...

I struggle with our Christmas letter each year too. One year I adapted Twas The Night Before Christmas and spoofed us big folks, while highlighting Lauren's joy of the season!

This year I opted for more of a Where's Waldo with pics scanned from the past year ~ can you spot L & T at the beach?....on the first day of school? Baby Tyler in Taiwan?...that sort of thing. Like you, I avoid the braggy aspect....cause we all know how that comes back to bite with vengeance(spelling...sorry)! LOL

The angel is sweet as sugar. Love that you framed it.

I also spotted your creative Advent calendar with hints of the day's activity to come ~ truly I LOVE that! Brilliant!

My favorite art work to date was a handprint reindeer ornament on card stock, with pipe cleaner antlers and a glittery red nose. The thumb is his face and the remaining four fingers his legs! Its a hoot...but the best part is what was written on the back...... " i luv Mapa" well, she was only 4!! :) I treasure it beyond words!

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

the 3 foot tall santa that looks so darn jolly BUT ALWAYS falls off the wall. I think I could nail him up there and he'd still fall off. Only a few more years till Kady's in kindergarten,and then I'll probably get another 3 foot jolly man. . .I should talk to the teachers NOW about instituting a better hanging method. . .

Mahmee said...

Ha ha ha...I love that underwear / naked story from 2008!
I wrote my own lyrics to a holiday song too - http://mahmeechron.blogspot.com/2007/12/these-are-few-of-my-favorite-things.html
We're still in the preschool crafts making stage but, I'm fond of anything made with hand prints. We did the santa/beard one year. I LOVE the tongginator's angel!
M.

Aunt LoLo said...

@ Anonymous - GET A LIFE.

*whew* I feel better now.

BBJ, unfortunately, hasn't joined the ranks of Christmas Craft Creating Creatures yet...but my mother does place out Godzilla every year. He's an angel, made by my father, when he was about 9 years old, out of cardboard, paper mache and a wine bottle. Dad INSISTED on placing him with the family nativity...which is how he earned his nickname. heh. (Then again, from your description, maybe he was more right than we realize!! LOL)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I like the good old green and red chain link garland:)

Can't wait to see your Christmas Carol.....I know it will be good!!

xo,

Lisa

a Tonggu Momma said...

Aunt Lolo - no worries about the spammer. I get at least one of these messages a week. And I always delete them. I mean, I think we all know that investing large sums of money with a stranger from the internet won't actually expand our pocketbooks.

Annie said...

One of my all time favorites is an ornament that has Lizzie's handprint on it. Our babysitter did it for us one night last Christmas when she was sitting with the kids and I just love it. It was the first time anyone had ever done Lizzie's hand print and it was and is precious to me. Her little hands are very small and missing fingers and just make the sweetest little prints. Since she has been at school this year, we have lots of stuff with Lizzie's handprint on it, but that very first handprint on that ornament last year will always be the most special!!! So glad Chelsea won!!! Very sweet family!!

Cindy said...

Thank you again for reminding me to, Go Find my son's 20 year old art work, and I DID!
It was in the family Bible! Just as beautiful as it was 20 years ago to me, no really very faded when posted but will always be beautiful to me as a mom. thanks again for reminding us that we need to refect on what our children have done!
I have it posted if you would like to see our "work of art" that is 20 years old!

))) Hugs!
Cindy

Cindy said...

I really can SPELL I just type way to FAST!

Hugs!
Cindy