About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, December 28, 2009

Baby Ruth's Stocking

I can't wait to fill y'all in on our Christmas weekend, but I'm so exhausted from trying to keep up with my sister's four hooligans, plus my own hooligan the Tongginator, I just can't seem to type more than a few sentences that makes sense. So today I'll simply give all y'all with large broods of children a good chuckle.

You see, my sister Kit Kat and I took our families to our Great Aunt P's house for Christmas last year. I've dubbed my aunt Maryland's version of Martha Stewart, which means she is always prepared for EVERY occasion, including having enough Christmas stockings for weary travelers who forgot their own. Which my sister did.

We did not. But only because our stockings? Are HUGE. And we wouldn't want to get stuck with smaller ones, now, would we?

This year, however, my sister's stocking drama veered in a different direction. Because we celebrated Christmas morning at HER house. Which means that Kit Kat needed to scrounge up enough Christmas stockings for her horde of six. Only - on Christmas Eve night - she realized that she did not have a stocking for her youngest, Baby Ruth, who will be two in March.

If Baby Ruth were the only or oldest child, or even the second child, this would have caused massive heart palpitations as well as much wailing and gnashing of teeth. But - thankfully - Baby Ruth is my sister's fourth child, so my sister just shrugged her shoulders and did a little stocking reassignment.

And Baby Ruth? Ended up with the dog's stocking.

Oh yes, she did.


We can only feel grateful that said stocking wasn't decorated with bones.

16 comments:

The Things We Carried said...

You crack me up :)

Kim K. said...

Love it!!

Tonggu Grammy said...

Our family is ever resourceful! Now, please don't anyone tell Baby Ruth when she gets older or she might be traumatized.

happygeek said...

Until I was in my twenties, my parent's "stocking were a pair of their old long johns, knotted at the bottom to keep the loot from falling out.
Klassy.
Anyway, I'm thinking that Baby Ruth got off easy.

Elouise82 said...

We were very thankful this year that my husband's name and my youngest daughter's name both start with the same letter ... we couldn't find a stocking we liked for ht baby, so she got her father's, our older daughter kept hers, and mine got packed away. Our stockings are only decoration until the girls are older, anyway, so it wasn't too traumatic for anyone!

autumnesf said...

....or decorated with a fire hydrant. Now that...!!!!

LOL! I love it. Now that is a true mom of many...adapt, improvise and overcome.

Briana's Mom said...

Snort! That's funny stuff. That would have never worked at my house. My cat's stocking says "Nice Kitty." I think the jig would be up. :)

The Source said...

Oh, too funny...but so true that once you've reached child number four you realize it just doesn't matter as much as you thought it did with number one. As long as they get something for Christmas and they're happy. I probably would have made up something along the lines of "Oh, Sweetie, Santa brings socking to children on their fourth Christmas...so when you're big enough, you'll get one, too! Hurray!"

Jean said...

Too funny! Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do!

So sorry for the doggy! hope he didn't feel too left out!

If the babies name is Baby Ruth and you sister is Kit Kat then what are the other names of the kids? Just wonderin?

Holly said...

Love me a Mama who can roll with the punches and think on her feet!
Bet the dog didn't even miss it! :)

Aunt LoLo said...

You know...ingenuity is ALWAYS in style. Besides - she's 1. She'll never know! Unless,of course...someone blogs about it.....


*Grin*

Myrnie said...

Heh. Love the fire hydrant :) (We felt pretty lucky M got her stocking by her second Christmas!)

Aus said...

Hey - what's that they say....it's the thought that counts? ;) We've been on the road this Christmas as well - won't be home for a couple days - but thanks for the laugh!! Great joy to you guys - and best wishes for a Happy New Year!

hugs - aus and co.

Janet said...

Trust me, Baby Ruth couldn't care less! LOL! I think it's a pretty cute stocking anyway.

Anonymous said...

I've been looking all over for this!

Thanks.

CC said...

I think my brother ended up with the dog's stocking too. And yes, it does have a dog and a bone on it.