About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, November 13, 2009

Beyond Laundry (and Culture Camp)

Do y'all remember the time I experienced a bit of a laundry crisis last year? Well, for some reason everyone seems to forget THE most important part of that story, which was that the husband and I were heading out the door to hear Adam Pertman, the executive director of the Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute, speak about the institute's initial findings in regards to exciting new research about transracial adoption.

I promised y'all back then that I would share the results of that study once the institute published the results. Well... the results came out this week. And I wrote a brief overview of the study at the group adoption blog Grown In My Heart. Check it out! I promise I kept my clothes on.

8 comments:

Annie said...

I have already read it but didn't realize you posted it, TM!!!! Very, very interesting!!!! Thanks so much for doing that!!!

Leslie said...

im new to your blog...i better get to reading!!! LOL

Sherri said...

Hahahaha! I think that entry was one of the first times I read your blog. I love the way you laugh at yourself. And then share it.

Wade's World said...

I gave you a bloggy award over at my blog. Have a great day!

http://jeremyandamywade.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-won-award.html

Shawnstribe said...

the laundry incident still remainsas one of those priceless moments!!!!!!!
miss checking up on you, ive been so under the weather....thiscold house builing is taking its toll ;)
xxx
s

bbmomof2boys said...

You are never going to live down that laundry incident if you keep bringing it up!!

So...the list. Hmm...the list. Yeah...not doing so well by this list. Little T will travel to her birth country, I'm sure, one day. She will go to a racially diverse school...as much as racially diverse as rural NC can get! I'm sure she'll read on the internet. Diverse neighborhood? Ok - our neighbor is Korean and I think there are some Chinese people somewhere in the neighborhood (seen them walking) but that's about it. Dining - hey!! we do this! Same-race sibling, poo - probably won't happen! Birth language...not yet, still not speaking English.

I could go on and on but you can see that we aren't doing well. I know that in the future it will get better but this causes me to pause just a bit and wonder if we are doing enough NOW - kwim?

Hugs,
Carla

Amie@WildOlive said...

that story is etched in my memory , Fo-eveeeer! Whenever I need a little pick me up, I pull that bad boy out, and have myself a good chuckle.

Thanks for sharing the link. Will check it out!

hugs~
Amie

Aus said...

Hey TM - GREAT summary - and thanks for "putting the hat on them" about having the parents present - duh! Regardless - good list - and I would not have thought that the numbers are as high as they are....interesting and good info for all of us transracial families!

hugs - aus and co.