About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, November 12, 2009

Apple Pie

Well, y'all, my momma almost had a heart attack when she thought I might not bring my apple pie to our family's Thanksgiving dinner. And several of you didn't understand how I could completely give up pie. (I totally understand your confusion. I mean, not eating pie is almost sacrilegious. Who in their right mind doesn't eat pie?!?!! It's kinda like refusing to drink sweet tea or eat deep fried Oreos.) As a result, I thought I'd morph into a Pretend Foodie Blog today and post my recipes for pie crust and apple pie.

Just to reassure y'all that I DO eat pie. I simply don't allow others to emotionally manipulate me into eating pie when it might possibly make me sick if I DID eat it at that specific moment in time. And I say pretend foodie blog because... well... we all know I ain't gonna post stellar pictures of every step in the process. Because that requires planning. And forethought. And I write pretty much all of my posts at midnight. Which means I don't even have a photo of the end result, although - trust me - it IS good.

I think.

So be kind to me on this one. I'm know I'm not exactly known for my stellar culinary skills. All things food? Truly is the husband's domain. I can follow a recipe, but the husband creates in the kitchen. And the Tongginator is totally obsessed with cooking with her Great Aunt P rather than with me. *sniff, sniff* In other words, I already feel totally insecure about this topic, so be sure to leave lots of effusive compliments for me. Or at least share with me YOUR favorite Thanksgiving Day dessert. Otherwise I might completely freeze up and fail to make apple pie for our family's Thanksgiving feast.

And then Tonggu Grammy might come after you. (I'm just saying...)

Easy Pie Crust

1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
2 to 3 tbsp ice water

In a food processor, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add chilled butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. With the food processor still running, add just enough ice water for the dough to hold together. It will typically gather and form into a ball. Turn dough out onto a plastic wrap and chill for at least 15 minutes and up to three days. Repeat the recipe to make a second pie crust for a closed pie with a top crust.

To prepare the crust, roll one ball of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 1/8 inch thickness. Fit dough into a lightly greased pie plate. Trim excess. Roll out the second ball of dough and set it aside until you add the pie filling. Then place that second pie crust on top, trim excess and crimp edges.

TM's Apple Pie

First prepare two homemade easy pie crusts. Then peel, core and slice to 1/4 inch thickness two-and-a-half pounds of apples. I prefer to use three to four Granny Smith apples with one or two Fuji or Gala apples for sweetness. Measure six cups. Combine the six cups of apples with:

3/4 cups sugar
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt

Let it stand for 15 minutes, stirring several times, so that the apples soften slightly and will fit better into the crust. Pour the mixture into the bottom crust already resting in the pie plate. Gently level the mixture with the back of a spoon. Dot the top with:

2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Brush the overhanging edge of the bottom crust with cold water. Cover with the top crust, then seal the edge, crimp and trim. Cut steam vents in the top crust. Sprinkle the top with a mixture of:

2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon

Bake the pie for 30 minutes at 425 degrees, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 30 to 45 minutes. Cool three to four hours before serving.

26 comments:

alece said...

Did you know apple pie is my all-time favorite dessert? It is. So if you happen to have one made and feel inclined to bring a piece with you on Sunday, I wouldn't object. At all.

Kiy said...

Effusive Compliment!!!!!
Effusive Compliment!!!!!
Effusive Compliment!!!!!


Hahaha, sorry, I just couldn't resist. You know I love ya. Seriously though, looks good. Really, how can you go wrong with apple pie? Around here, it's a food group. Around here, it's a requested birthday 'cake'.

Cheers, Kiy

Kim K. said...

Your pie sounds just perfect. How lovely that your hubbie enjoys cooking. I'd gladly take more help in the kitchen. Hugs!

happygeek said...

I've decided that it's a good thing I'm not American because if I never had pie again, I'd be OK.
It's not that I hate it, it just seems to me there are better ways to waste calories.
Feel free to boo.
For special occasion dessert around my house we eat cherry cheese cake or ice cream cake (both of which I also don't like, but my men adore.)
I'd just rather eat a lot of gravy and cornbread stuffing.
I've never pretended to be normal.

Aus said...

Did anybody ever tell you that you write 'cute' when you are feeling insecure? And if these 'recipies' (never could resist a pun) are any indication - you don't need to feel insecure! ;)

Apple is good - peach is better (spent a lifetime in Ga three weeks at a time....it's a long story - but they DO have peach pie if nothing else!) but for T-day call me traditional - pumpkin (last piece the day after Christmas and then no more until the next year!)

I shared your post with Marie last night - interesting conversation there....and we still won't drink the koolaid either!

hugs - aus and co.

Dawn said...

Almost identical to my pie recipe (which was my grandmother's) - so I KNOW it's a good one!

I'm getting ready to start some holiday baking myself later today. I try to do as much as I can ahead of time (I freeze it) so it's easier as the holiday crazies arrive. And, no - I'm not talking about the relatives. (I think...)

Be blessed!

Cheri said...

Apple pie is my favorite!!!! I'll tell you a secret, I'm too scared to make one. I'm afraid that I'll mess it up too bad and I'll be too disappointed on Thanksgiving. LOL One of our local stores has a mean apple pie! ;) I cheat! HeHe

Annie said...

I am VERY impressed!!!!! I used to cater in my former life (pre kids) and now, I would never dream of trying to make a pie crust from sratch!!!! It's all I can do to get to the pie crust isle at the grocery store!! It sounds delicious!!!!

adoptionroad said...

The simple fact that you included and actually use the pie crust recipe makes you a goddess in my book. I gave up on crust so very long ago but I still love filling which is why we are now an apple crisp family! Sounds like quite a weekend!

Patricia/NYC said...

Wow...pie crust from scratch!! I am so impressed!!! That idea intimidates me immensely! I have never made a pie from scratch...scares me to death!! ;)

So...am I un-American? Am I really the only person who doesn't like apple pie?

Mei Mei s and Mayhem said...

Love Apple Pie especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!!!!

glitterbygrammie said...

Nummy recipe. Sounds great.
I am going to start reading your blog if that is okay.

Janet said...

Thanks a lot. Now I'm hungry. :-)

Kim said...

Love applie pie especially ala mode! It's even better for breakfast! Okay, I really didn't just confess this :-)

Myrnie said...

Mmmm...that sounds GOOOD. I hardly ever bake pies, but I have a bowl full of apples on the kitchen table. Maybe I'll surprise my family on Sunday :)

Yummy!!

Aunt LoLo said...

My Hips, henceforth referred to as the Client, would like me to inform you: "I hate you."

Please send a pie as quickly as you can - my client can be bribed.

Thank you.

(Umm...seriously? I'm hungry just reading the recipe. Why did I never think to put sugar in a pie crust?! Mmmm. Oh, and I NEVER EVER EVER have ice on hand. Maybe that's why I never bake pies. LOL)

Tammie T. said...

I am so excited!!! I have NEVER in my life made a pie! I will make one following your "easy" recipe!!! :) Thanks so much. This is all I needed to get motivated! I made the pumpkin bread off Jazzie and Tahlia's blog. Love that I have a niece adopted from China so I could get in this circle of wonderful mothers! :)

Heather of the EO said...

happygeek totally cracked me up on this one.

I too am not much of a pie person. BUT, when choosing pie I always go with apple or pumpkin. I'm sure yours is GOOD. I'm SURE.

Sharie said...

OK - I don't own a food processor - or a stand mixer. I have no flour, sugar or lemon juice in my house (seriously!!). I have butter, but I think it's from last Christmas, so I'm guessing it's expired! My daughter wouldn't know that all cookies didn't come out of a package if it weren't for her aunts...darn those aunts.

The fact that you have a pumpkin pie recipe and know what to do with it - well, that simply amazes me!!

Sharie said...

Oh - and Apple Pie - one of my favorites! And you can TOTALLY justify eatting it for breakfast:)

Kimberly said...

Yum Yum Yum!! I think you just inspired me to bake this weekend!!

Elouise82 said...

I love making pie, all except the "crimping and sealing edges" part. Seriously. I liked mixing the pastry, I don't even mind rolling the dough out as thin as it can go, praying all the while that it won't crack or hit an area of the counter that isn't floured, I love pouring the filling in ...

And then I have to try to seal and crimp the edges, and my pies end up with huge, lumpy outer edges. I just cannot get the hang of this. Maybe that means I need to practice more?

Or maybe I'll leave the Thanksgiving pies to my mom this year :)

CC said...

1st of all... what the heck are Deep Fried Oreos???????????????

2nd...it sounds divine. I love apple pie. BUT, without pictures, I just can't start salivating. So. You must journey west. Make this pie. And I'll watch you every step of the way.

Then I can tell you how I really feel about this recipe. ;)

3 Peanuts said...

LAughed SO hard at the last post....every family has those hidden dysfunctions and being a family therapist and all...I enjoyed reading how you discovered this one. My hubby makes delicious homemade apple pie but now that we are mostly gluten free..none of us can really eat it:(

Patty O. said...

Oooh, thanks for the recipe. Though I love cooking and especially baking, I have shied away from pies. The crust kind of scares me. Bil bought a bunch of apples that ended up being baking apples and pretty tart, so I will have to try this recipe. It looks delicious.

Kristi said...

Apple pie is supposed to be dessert? I thought it was a delightful breakfast food ~ at least that's how it is usually consumed around here. I read that it was okay in the Joy of Cooking...