About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What is IN this?

Joy comes in the morning!!! Another Tonggu momma received a referral yesterday... a bloggy friend should receive The Call today... and Amie, my buddy from the No Hands But Ours site, met her son yesterday! Please head over to wish them all congratulations!

And now for a little giggle to lighten the mood during this hard week...


In an attempt to help the Husband get well quickly last week, I created... umm... a concoction for him to drink. Aunt Lolo passed along the home remedy recipe, touted to clear overloaded sinuses within an instant. All you had to do was down a mugful of the stuff.

So I made it. And I brought it to the Husband. I DID warn him, but I also refused to tell him the ingredients. For some strange reason, he seemed a tad reserved about the whole thing. I totally can't imagine WHY. I mean, I'm his wife. It's not like I'm trying to poison him or anything.

TONGGU MOMMA: Honey, I just want you to know it's gonna be hot. Really hot... not just hot temperature-wise.

THE HUSBAND: It's okay, honey... I'm taking this as a challenge like on The Amazing Race.

TONGGU MOMMA: Okay, but just know it's really hot. They said it would clear your sinuses though, so I thought maybe you might want to try it. But it's really hot.

THE HUSBAND: It's okay, hon. Thanks for making it for me. And it's not like you have gasoline in here. (pause for comedic effect) Oh wait, I already drank that.

The Husband took a tentative sip.

THE HUSBAND: What the heck is IN here?

TONGGU MOMMA: You told me not to tell you.

THE HUSBAND: Is it Tabasco Sauce?

TONGGU MOMMA: No.

THE HUSBAND: Are you SURE it's not Tabasco Sauce?

TONGGU MOMMA: Yes.

Y'all, he didn't finish the entire mug. And his sinuses never did clear. So if someone tells you that drinking a mugful of 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons of honey, one lemon wedge and hot water is worth it to help you feel better...

Don't. Believe. Them.

27 comments:

Rhonda said...

Reminds me of the time when Josh and I were dating. He invited me over for Passover with his family, and well, there's a part where you make matzah and horseradish 'sandwiches'. Well, since I was young, naive and foolishly in love (read: stupid) I had him make it for me.

Well, he didn't tell me that his mom bought the super spicy, bring-a-grown-man-to-his-knees horseradish. It was so bloody spicy that I drank a bit of water. Well, a lot of water.

An.entire.jug.full.of.water.

His parents thought I was dying.

Way to make an impression. ;)

Sherri said...

He didn't drink the whole mug. Of course he didn't feel better! He didn't follow the directions! That doesn't mean it doesn't work!

Buckeroomama said...

LOL! To clear sinuses? Wasabi. That's what I've been told, but I just never had the guts to try it. I always fall back on my ol' reliable Olbas. :)

happygeek said...

That right there is why I am not into any form of alternative medicine at any time:).
Just give me the drugs!!!

The Source said...

Couldn't he have just eaten some jalapenos or wasabi? Probably would have tasted a lot better! Poor hubby. At least he tried. I hope you're all feeling better now.

Aus said...

It would NEVER have crossed my mind for a second that this would clear your sinuses...maybe punish you enough that you DIDN'T CARE that your sinuses were plugged up tho! I mean - I've got come mace you could spray him with that would clear his sinuses - but don't recommend that either! :)

hope he feels better anyway!!

hugs - aus and co.

Aunt LoLo said...

Lo Gung sez: Honey, that's not good! Now Tonggue Momma is gonna be mad at you!!

Umm...well...I'm sorry it didn't work? *blush*

It reminds me of a funny story, though - when I was a kid, we had a Japanese exchange student, Shoichi. He could practically DRINK Tabasco sauce. Why? When he was a kid, his grandfather gave him a shotglass full of the stuff and convinced him to drink it.

Apparently, HOT is an acquired taste. ;-)

Blue said...

HAahahahahahahahahaa! *snort*

That's awesome. Poor TD - still suceptible to womanly wiles and dangerous drinks.
I'd missed the earlier post about TD and the stomach-pumping and I'd never heard the story from him either! APPARENTLY you've both been holding back on me with the good stories. Do I have to come down there for a visit?

Blue said...

*ACK!* I mean "susceptible"

Jboo said...

I think he's pretty brave to even take a sip of it! UGH!! Get that poor guy some good medicine, like NyQuil - won't clear sinuses, but sure helps me sleep! Is it bad to say that I love Nyquil! :)

Janet

Kayce said...

Eck!! I'll stick to the nettie pot.

Off to go make some congratulatory rounds!!

Debz said...

LOL well you did warn him. I tried to hide echinesia(sp) in Jaclyn"s juice once......didn't tell her.....I got caught! She didn't trust me after that! Hope he is better soon. I love my Cold FX!

Football & Fried Rice said...

Just when I was thinking of whipping some up for the hubs!

Holly said...

Oh my word! I'm sure his intestines were cleared out instead.
Sorry but I'm just sayin...he won't be congested in that region of his body for awhile...ouch!

jen@odbt said...

At least you know he can't do those road blocks when it involves eating local cuisine. I remember my mom would make a concoction of tea, lemon and a splash of scotch/whisky/bourbon -- whatever was on hand -- it worked for me ;)

thegypsymama said...

Awesome! Reminds me of when we were in Ukraine. I got really sick and in desperate need of antibiotics. Because there was an off-chance I might be pregnant they wouldn't give me any. But, instead, sent me home with the recipe for a concoction to make me feel better that included a hefty dose of vodka. Yikes.

Elizabeth said...

Half a mug? He could never cut it on the Amazing Race--did you see the wasabi challenge?!?!?! ;)

Clare said...

Oh No! You're cruel! But I know it was only in his best interests.... :) There's an award waiting for you on my blog xx

CC said...

darn. it was so worth the try!

La-La-Liene said...

There's no way you could probably convince me to take a sip either.

And sure, I believe you when you say you're not trying to poison him ;-)

Is he feeling better? The crud is going around. The 1st minute I realized I was getting it, I started downing Tylenol Cold. Emi unfortunately is still sniffling but she's so little I don't want to give her anything.

Lisa said...

oh no...I don't know which is scarier, the drink of fire or the fact that your sweet hubby is sick enough to even flirt with the idea of drinking it!!

:) Hope he is on the mend!!

Kristi said...

Oh dear! I hope that just some rest and chicken soup do the trick...

Annie said...

Sounds like something my hubby would like!!! LOL!!

Mamatini said...

Hmm, I always thought the technique for distracting someone from how bad they are feeling was hot booze. As in my Austrian grandmother's hot lemon, honey, and whiskey concoction.

What is it about hot booze? It works everytime. I don't feel better, but I do feel better about feeling bad!

Myrnie said...

Heh. I'm not going to say anything about it...except that I have half an onion and a quarter cup of sugar sitting in a jar on the counter, macerating down into syrup to give to my husband...it's a great expectorant! Really! :) Don't know about sinuses, though... (I've heard it works well with garlic and ginger, too.)

Jean said...

That is one trusting husband you have! Mine would never dare to take a sip of anything that I would bring him in a mug!

Alece said...

i just threw up in my mouth a little bit.