About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sunday Linkage

As always, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with these links, but I believe they are important to consider. For those of you new around here, I'm an adoptive momma. Each Sunday I try to post links relevant to the China- adoptive community. I read some of these linkage posts while nodding my head in agreement... others stretch my mind as I seek to understand. Always, always, I consider them.

Risk -- adult adoptee (Taiwan) Mei-Ling at Exile of Xingnan... thoughts after sharing her very personal adoption story

"How's Your Heart?:" Filling My Adopted Child's Heart -- adoptive momma (Ethiopia) Lisa at the group adoption blog Grown In My Heart... describing what she terms "mother love" and her daughter's tremendous need for it

simplify -- adoptive momma (China) Stefanie at the group China-adoption special needs blog No Hands But Ours... after reading book after book and blog post after blog post about transracial adoption, one mom wonders, "are we making adoption too complicated?"

I'm Asian. Therefore My Eyes Are "Broken" and Ugly. -- adult adoptee (Korea) 윤선 (Yoon Seon) at 안녕습니다 (annyong seumnida): My adventures as a Korean adoptee... a letter to the adoptive parent who recently (horrifically!) chose elective blepharoplasty surgery for his young daughter

Identification and identity -- adoptive momma (domestic, open, transracial) Shannon at Peter's Cross Station... a recent drawing by her daughter brings back memories of a conversation she had pre-adoption with an adoptive parent

How Will I Look When I Get Old -- adult adoptee (Korea) kateiskate at The Queen of Denial... wondering how her appearance will change as she ages

Abandonment -- executive director of Love Without Boundaries Amy at A Life of Giving... showing, through personal experience, how simple, one line sentences don't adequately explain a personal life event that is often very complex

Devil's Advocate -- adoptive momma (China) AmFam at American Family... more thoughts about the adoptive parent who chose elective blepharoplasty surgery for his young daughter

Quoted -- adult adoptee (Korea) Sang-Shil at Land of the Not-So-Calm... quoting Chris Lu, assistant to President Obama and Cabinet Secretary, about Saturday Chinese classes

A screaming indictment of my family's apathy, ignorance or selfish insensitivity because we chose to strip each of our children of her identity prior to renaming her -- adoptive momma (China) Donna at Double Happiness... on feeling attacked and/or defensive about certain hot button adoption topics, including renaming

6 comments:

The Things We Carried said...

This is a generous gesture you do each week!

Norah said...

Thanks for sharing !

Holly said...

I am sick at my stomach after reading about the father who chose to have his daughter's eyes surgically changed. SICK.
And ticked off.
So I should stop typing now. Cause the more I think about it the more angry I become.

Football & Fried Rice said...

I wasn't specifically drawn to read the post about the eye surgery, but I tend to like to get fired up - so I am heading off!!!!!!!

Thanks, as always, for thoughtfully bringing us these links!

autumnesf said...

I love that you do this. I feel like I learn or at least think very hard about something every time. Thanks!

discombobulated said...

How sad that a surgeon would perform eyelid surgery on a child without a medical need based on a parent's ignorance. I pray that this girl is ok. This child can never have her original eyes again. All I can say to Asian people is that not all westerners think that the Asian eye is "broken". I was flabbergasted when a friend of mine told me she'd had her eyes "done". It saddened me to think that she thought she needed to do that. I could hardly tell anything had been done, but when she showed me, there was the tiniest fold in her lid. It left quite an impression on me.