About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday Linkage

As always, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with these links, but I believe they are important to consider. For those of you new around here, I'm an adoptive momma. Each Sunday I try to post links relevant to the China- adoptive community. I read some of these linkage posts while nodding my head in agreement... others stretch my mind as I seek to understand. Always, always, I consider them.

There were so many incredible posts written by members of the adoption triad this week, I just can't link to them all. Most importantly, if you didn't get the chance to check out the first-ever blog carnival sponsored by the group adoption blog GIMH, click on over to read 32 voices (so far), from all sides of the adoption triad, share What No One Told Me About Adoption. And there's still time to add your own thoughts... the carnival doesn't end until tonight.

My Identity Was A Government Secret -- adult adoptee (domestic) Amanda at Still Searching... the process she must go through in order to (hopefully) receive her original birth certificate (OBC) [HAT TIP to Ungrateful Little Bastard]

Discussions and Memories
-- first mom Fire Mom at The Chronicles of Munchkinland... a conversation with her grandfather about the daughter she relinquished

Racial Microaggressions -- Lily Huang, a writer of Taiwanese descent, at the group blog 8 Asians... defining and providing examples of racial microaggressions, which are brief, everyday exchanges that send a denigrating message to a person of color

A Birthmother's Question Answered -- adoptive momma (domestic, open) Rebekah at Heart Cries... answering a question from a seeking first mother about her personal views about God's involvement in adoption

Great Wolf Lodge: Eden -- preteen adoptee (China) Eden at Eden's Garden... talking with the girls from her travel group about all things adoption and race-related

The Importance of Telling the Story -- adoptive momma (China) LMGNYC at La Bicicleta... sharing with her daughter the story - THE WHOLE STORY - of how she came to experience international adoption: from her birth, to her abandonment, to life in China and beyond

"but Jafta doesn't match" -- adoptive momma (Haiti) Kristen at RAGE against the minivan... matching, sorting and the complexities of transracial adoption

5 comments:

*Peach* said...

As always, thank you for your links. I learn so much from reading them.
I just have to comment on the statement by the new adoptive mom in her blog above. She mentioned that she feels her baby "won the baby lottery" because of open adoption. I commented on her blog, and will comment here. Even though open adoption is a better situation than closed adoption, it is not enforcable by law, and more importantly, it is still a profound loss for a human being. To lose the daily care and relationship with their mother, blood family, etc. I don't even know many people who would trade losing their mother just so they could have both a mom and dad. It just isn't natural. I just had to speak my voice on this, because adoptive parents speak for adoptees all the time, and it is hard to read. I'm not saying every adoptee feels this way, but I know as a child and young adult I would have said I had "won the lottery" too with my adoptive family's love and home. But that was before I found the courage to unknowledge that I had been holding down my feelings for the benefit of others.
Ok, sorry to ramble. Sorry to rain on parades.
I am truly thankful for the open dialogue we are building on the internet (at least) from all members of the "triad".

3 Peanuts said...

You do a greta service to the adoption community by posting these each week. I do not always have time to read them all but I certainly click over to a few every time and my circle of understanding is broadened each time.

Thank you, have a blessed SUnday.

a Tonggu Momma said...

*Peach*, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us about this topic. You didn't rain on anyone's parade... you helped to educate. Until a year ago, I didn't know that open adoption wasn't enforceable by law. That shocked me to no end. I suspect that many will be surprised today.

And I agree that the loss still exists... reading dawn's blog "this woman's work" and a few others have really opened my eyes to this topic. I appreciate your comment and feel sure that others will as well.

And 3Peanuts? *insert blush here* Thank you.

Colleen said...

As always I love Sunday linkage!!!!! Thank you for all the time you put in to this : ) I love reading through all the links.

Wendy said...

Loved Sunday Linkage yet again! Keep up the great work! Iam on vacation but as soon as I get back I will be doing a blog post in regard to the question you asked.