About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Heathen in a Barbie Dress

So I didn't tell y'all, but this past weekend we headed out of town to catch up with the Fish Family of Five. Because we totally had to make sure that TwoFish was alive, well and using both of her legs. She is, she was (as of two days ago) and she managed to jump up and down, generally carousing with her sisters and our Tongginator for four days straight.

I think that says it all.

But before we headed off to see the Fish Family, the husband, the Tongginator and I met three little someones y'all may know. One captivated me with her cute 30-inch-or-thereabout self, while the other two... well, to be honest, I looked down on them quite a bit.

See what I mean?

Ivy, Lisa and me at a Philly Area Bertucci's

Yes, y'all, I actually got to meet those positively petite ladies Lisa and Ivy... the charmingly sweet gals of The Long Road to China and Hunan Spice/ Shutterbug. It's a good thing I enjoyed their company so much... cuz they made me look like an absolute giraffe. Harrumph. Lisa is just as she seems on her blog: warm, gracious, put together and unassuming... basically everything I'm not. Ahem. And Ivy, well, Ivy is just plain sweet - tremendously focused on others, even in the midst of a sad time, and a wonderful listener.

I have no idea what they thought of our crazy bunch. Except...

The first time Lisa saw us, she pulled up in her brand-spanking-new fancy car while the Tongginator and I speed-walked laps around the restaurant parking lot during the beginnings of a rainstorm. (I kid you not. We'd been in the car for two hours already and I just knew sitting for another two wouldn't go well unless I took Drastic Measures.) The Tongginator wore, over top her regular clothes, the bane of my existence her Most Beloved Pink Barbie Dress that a neighbor passed along once her own daughter outgrew it.

I'm fairly certain the neighbor did a victory dance on that day. Because that dress? Is the rattiest thing I've ever seen. And that dress? Is a BARBIE dress. (Y'all are picking up on the fact that I loathe Barbie, right?)

But the Tongginator loves that dress, so *sigh* the Tongginator wore that dress. Even though we were meeting people who I just knew would look all put together and polished and whatnot. Thankfully Lisa only saw The Dress for a short time because the Tongginator removed said dress as soon as we arrived inside the restaurant. But not because she wanted to make her momma happy. Oh, no.

She worried that she might get food on it, y'all. FOOD ON IT. Like that might be a bad thing.

We chatted up a storm, the three of us mommas, while the Tongginator and Kira bonded over some paper and a box of crayons. (Yes, Tonggu Daddy ate with us, but I paid him so little attention, don't even bother asking me what he did during our Girl Time. Because I have absolutely no idea.) I loved the conversation, which bounced from topic to topic, ranging from adoption to corn fields to WHATEVER. I swear I felt like I'd known these ladies for years.

Ivy spent the better part of an hour trying to coax Kira into eating, but it took a Special Someone to actually get her to eat.

I wish the CCAA could see how READY the Tongginator is for a little sister...

and just LOOK at the adorable cuteness who is Kira and the
sweetness that one rarely sees from my spicy Tongginator...

The Tongginator totally had Lisa and Ivy convinced that she was Sweetness and Light, until she promptly ruined that impression when we all took a ladies room break just before our departure. One of the ladies (and I shall never say which) chatted with me while I washed my hands and she... er... you know... in a bathroom stall.

(And isn't it The Most Awkward Thing In The World to pee right next to someone you just met That Very Day? You can totally do it with few qualms when it's a family member, a close friend or even a complete stranger, but when you are in that netherworld of About To Become Friends... well... it ain't easy, y'all.)

Now where was I?

Oh, yes, washing my hands. And a certain someone in a bathroom stall. Anyways, this lady said something to me that the Tongginator didn't quite catch. So the Tongginator - being the Tongginator - stuck her head right up to the stall door, peeked through it, looked directly at that certain someone and asked oh-so-politely, "what did you say?"

Let me just die again remembering it, y'all.

Of course I yelled at corrected her. "Tongginator! You can't look through there! She needs PRIVACY!" Thankfully the Tongginator obeyed. And all was forgiven. And we four hugged.

But only after we all washed our hands.

Because we are NOT heathens, y'all.

46 comments:

Justin Narin said...

Good to see your Tongginator with Kira, it is sweet. Glad you ladies had a great time :)


Freedom Debt Relief Review

Buckeroomama said...

Awww, that is just so sweet of T!!

..and if I haven't mentioned it before, I LOVE her thick hair! I wish Z could have hair like that. :)

bbmomof2boys said...

Bwhahahaha!!! I guess you didn't get lucky, huh?! At least it was with someone you knew...


Hugs,
Carla

Kim K. said...

Great fun, even if it was a tad awkward in the bathroom. I would have loved to seen a picture of the beloved barbie dress too (hee hee). I just love getting together with my blogging adoptive friends. My husband never quite understands how I can possibly bond with someone over the computer and have that also exist in person. Men.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Can't get food on the dress :)

Rebecca Ramsey said...

She is a jewel! That's hilarious.

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Statuesque, my friend, statuesque!! And yep, there are a lot of similarities between the Tonginator and my Spicy Hunan Girl!

happygeek said...

I LOVED the pics of Miss T feeding Kira. How cute!!

Beach Mama said...

I bet your contemplating (plotting)what beloved child you can "pass the Barbie dress to." My lovely neighbor often bestows gently used clothing on my girls (for which I am grateful and love!), sometimes though, there is an item or two that seem to become the "uniform" of the day, or week, or month, or however long.

Glad you had a great time!

3D said...

Fun times!

Keep smilin!

Jboo said...

Oh man, I some jealous!! You get to meet those two cool ladies and your girl has a Barbie dress!! ;) What a sweetheart she was helping feed Kira -- just adorable -- makes up for the bathroom incident (you'll have to put that one in the archives)! :)

Janet

Sharie said...

What fun! Seems many of the wonderful blogger woman live out East. I really wish we would have been able to make that cross country journey.
JEALOUS:)!

Myrnie said...

Heh :) Aren't communal bathrooms FUN?? :) Glad you had a good evening!

Kate said...

I KNEW I would be missing ou on ome major fun. So glad you got to meet Lisa and Ivy and that you all hit it off. They are two women who know how to talk...and I love them both!!! :-)

Barbie dress, and bathroom etiquette aside...you have one sweet girl on your hands...I love how she was feeding darling Kira. Lovely!!! I hope I get a chance to meet you on another visit...although I have to tell you that my height is right on par with Lisa and Ivy...wait...I'll wear some kickin' high heels...how's that?? :-)

Looks like a great lunch!!

Kate

Jillene said...

My girls would SO wear ratty Barbie or Princess dresses out in public. I am sure that they do it for pure humiliation of their mother--or because they love to dress up so much--either way--I feel your pain!!

chicknboy said...

hehehe! I don't like Barbie stuff either :) and totally giggling at the Tongginator's bathroom story!

The Gypsy Mama said...

Oh my gosh - hysterical. At least she didn't get down on her hands and knees and stick her head under the stall door, which is what my boys have been known to do!

Marla said...

HAHAHA!!! Love it!! Now see, if I'd been there, I could have been the other giraffe, errrrrrr, bookend, and that picture would have balanced out. :)

Glad y'all had a good time!

Suzie said...

Never a dull moment with the Tongginator!!!

jiangxigirls said...

Okay I am LMAO at this post! I am so glad you got to meet Lisa and Ivy. I so want to meet Ivy. Love the pics of Kira and the Tongginator together. Sounds like a great time was had by all!!

Heather of the EO said...

So...when do I get to meet you guys? WHEN?????

So jealous.

But yes, yes. Happy for you too.

(You're not a giraffe)

Lisa (Briana's Mom) said...

You got to meet Lisa! She is the sweetest, isn't she? And from what I see in the pictures, the Tongginator is absolutely ready for her little sister. I also see that the Tongginator and Briana have the same great taste in clothing because Briana has that same shirt. ;)

Now you and I will have to meet one day... :)

Mamatini said...

Wow, the Tongginator has awesome hair! So thick and long! Ina's is fine, but has a slight curl like the Tongginator's.

Gail said...

The Tongginator is hilarious...

I'm a bit envious of your meeting with those 2 as I've gotten to know them well through flickr and posting pics on the site. Lisa and I speak frequently on the phone and I'm hoping we'll meet for real this Fall. Would love to meet you too sometime TM!

Krista ~ Bits and pieces said...

What a wonderful time!!!!

2 of my favorite blog friends (I've yet to meet Ivy but she seems lovely) together, having an amazing time, someday I hope to join in on the fun!!!

Janet said...

Sounds like SO much fun! I would be short compared to you too....I would! You should come here and I'll prove it to ya.

Super Mommy said...

Awww, look at the Tongginator - she will make a wonderful big sis!

Magi said...

That is so something Sera would do. We're working now on not opening the stall door while mommy is on the potty.

It's always fun to meet bloggy friends. It sounds like you had a good time.

Gerbil said...

Ha! Well, at least she didn't stick her head UNDER the stall.

Special K said...

I love your Tongginator stories. That kid cracks me up!

Glad you got to meet some very cool fellow bloggers. That's always fun.

Dita said...

Glad you came clean, TM!

Looks like The Tongginator IS ready for a little sis by the looks of it. She needs a little partner in crime to drive you even crazier...and don't think she won't turn that sweet little baby the minute she gets home!

Looks like you gals had a great time. You know my I am UBERjealous, don't you?

I am in next time. Love the shots of the 3 of you, but you might want to go back to the dermatologist because there's something wrong with your face...I think there are letters on it or something...I hear that can lead to dementia, unless, of course one is already bonkers!:)

3 Peanuts said...

Oh how wonderful that you all got to meet. Those are two ladies I would love to meet as well! Sounds like a GREAT time was had by all and I love the Tongginator's spunk! She so reminds me of someone I know;)

Patricia/NYC said...

How fun!! To get to meet these lovely ladies!! Sounds like a great time & once again, you have me sitting here laughing out loud!

And, I gotta tell you, the peeking under the stall? Kiara just did that to a COMPLETE STRANGER at the Central Park Zoo, because "said stranger" was reprimanding her daughter in the stall & Kiara wanted to know "why is she in trouble?"...sigh...seriously, our girls are so much alike!

Aunt LoLo said...

Ok, Miss T is TOTALLY ready to be a big sister. (She's got to have SOMEONE to pass all these tricks on to!)

Anonymous said...

Followed your blog for a little while and greatly enjoy your Tongginator stories and respect that you have educated yourself on adoption issues so that you may best help and relate to your daughter.
One thing I noticed is that you show pictures of other people and their children, some of whose parents have blogs and some who don't, while going to the trouble of even creating an emblem to cover your and your daughter's faces.
Maybe you ask permission to post pictures, but it would seem odd to ask them if you can show their child's face when you don't show your own's face.

RamblingMother said...

LOL!!

First, I am so glad G is not a dress up kind of girl for the very reason of the barbie dress, heh.

Second, I have to remind G EVERY.TIME.WE.GO into a bathroom to not look in the stalls. She is so interested on who is in the bathroom with us and what are they saying if anything that she can hardly help herself! Drives me batty!

Third, seems I have had a similar anon comment about pics on the blog of kids and I usually don't have other kids or rarely. Though I do post G often.

Cavatica said...

Sounds like a great time. BB is learning about bathroom "prizery" too, but she would have done the same. Sometimes you just need to get those details!

Michelle said...

Oh my, where do I even begin with this post?!? First, how awesome you three lovely ladies got to meet. Yes, I SO know what you mean about towering over them. Story of my life as well. And well, the rest just had me laughing. Too funny about T peeking inside the stall. I would have just died.

CC said...

That is so cool that you got to meet Lisa!!!!! I want to see her kitchen in person. Oh, and have her take lots of pics of my kids. :)

mommy24treasures said...

ahhh the end story sounds SO Caitlynish!;) She will peek in strangers stalls if I am not holding onto her every second and think nothing of it! Such a stinker.
The other day we were at a BBQ restaurant and there was an older Asian woman in the BR as well so she peeks right in to ask her if she is a Chinese gul? ugh.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I can't stop laughing at your interpretation of our get together!! To be honest, I didn't think twice about the Tongginator looking through the stall. I had a similar problem with Nick when I took him in dressing rooms in dept stores. There is nothing like a kid crawling on the floor looking up at you as you try things on:)

All kidding aside, I had a WONDERFUL time with you and your family. I just wish we had more time to spend together:( I will be in touch....I am heading your way very soon!!

Hugs,

Lisa

Colleen said...

LOL how fun!!!! I love Lisa and Ivy!!! I am so envious of your get together. Next time I'm coming...but I need warning so I can fly in : )
Oh..and I'm 5'2"..just giving you a heads up. Make sure to wear your flats.

GENICA said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Patricia

http://onlinegamescom.net

GENICA said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Patricia

http://onlinegamescom.net

GENICA said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Patricia

http://onlinegamescom.net

Ivy said...

HI TM,
I do apologize for not stopping by sooner, because this post just put a huge smile on my face! I so needed it too.

What a great day, down pour and all. Being in the company of the Tongginator's parental units was simply inspiring! I so enjoyed TD and conversing with him (hope I didn't talk his ear off). Then there is the one and only, Tongginator! A one of a kind, sweet and delightfully entertaining young girl. She's definitely going to make a wonderful big sis.
I love the photos of her and Kira. Adorable...you'll have to send me them.

Oh too funny about the bathroom. Where was I?

Can't wait for more good times with amazing friends.

Will be in touch!

Hugs,

Ivy