About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, August 3, 2009

Get it OFF!

Have y'all ever had a bug land in your hair and it completely freaks you out? So much so that you freeze up, scream and expect someone to drop everything, run over to you and swat the bug out of your hair, all without hurting you in any way?

Not that I do that or anything. Ahem.

Okay, so, maybe possibly I might admit to doing that. Because I totally spent the past month screaming - at the top of my lungs - "Get it off! Get it OFF! GET IT OFF!" after a casual trip to the pool earlier this summer. That's when my sister first Spotted The Spot. It actually looked cool, kinda like a yin/yang birthmark on my back.

Only it wasn't a birthmark.

And it wasn't in any way yin or yang.

It was a growth... one that appeared on my back sometime within the last six months. I - being me - totally kept my cool and refused to fret or worry, despite the fact that my sister KK was diagnosed with melanoma three years ago. (She'sFineNowThanksForAsking.) Although you should probably ignore the fact that I spent the past month repeatedly yelling "GET IT OFF!" to any and all close friends and family members. And you need to pretend I didn't completely freak out about the whole China-adoption "must be cancer-free for five years" rule. And disregard the times I imagined my little Tongginator losing yet another mother. Or the moments I felt completely paralyzed when picturing the husband and Ring living next-door to one another, two widowers wallowing together, trying to survive solo child rearing.

Because I am not one to overreact at all.

Except for when I do.

But my growth? It met the ABC's and D of the skin cancer world. (A - Asymmetry! B - Irregular Borders! C - Change in Color! D - Increase in Diameter!) And my growth? It looked A LOT like the growth my sister had... you know, the sister who was diagnosed WITH SKIN CANCER. And my growth? I needed someone to GET IT OFF!

But I am not one to overreact at all.

Except for when I do.

I had a biopsy last week. And the results came back fine (ThanksSoMuchForAsking). I am on the road to recovery, although the husband could use some prayers. Because the husband? Has been dealing with my whining all week (okay, okay, all MONTH). Plus, he almost fainted during my biopsy.

Oh yes, he did.

He stayed in the room to hold my hand during the procedure, even though I am in no way high maintenance. Ahem. Although I confess that I do tend to run off at the mouth when I am nervous. And scared. And besieged with Thoughts Of Premature Death. (But I am NOT high maintenance!) With all of the talking I did, you'd think I'd remember to mention to the doctor one little fact that might possibly have been kinda, sorta important.

You see... I'm a gusher, y'all. As in I bleed, like, a lot.

And I totally forgot to tell the doctor. So when she plunged gently inserted the one centimeter biscuit cutter punch at least a half-inch into my skin, she wasn't quite prepared for my blood to start spurting out like a fountain. Neither was her assistant. Nor the husband.

Sweat beaded on his forehead. He turned pale. And the blood kept on coming.

Yet again, Tonggu Momma proves herself to be a complete idiot. But I DID learn a valuable lesson. Okay, possibly more than one valuable lesson. First, be sure to inform your doctor if you happen to be a gusher and you are having surgery. Second, hydrogen peroxide does an excellent job removing blood stains from clothing. Third, don't rely on your husband to be a pillar of strength when you are spurting out blood, because he might possibly remain pale and shaken for the remainder of the day. Next, get your skin checked regularly and for goodness sakes wear good quality sunscreen. Fifth, stitches near a bendy place (like your shoulder blade) hurt a lot and you should NOT TURN DOWN PAIN MEDS.

my contribution to Pug Mama's "3 Word Sunday" this week

And finally, sometimes it's okay to overreact because that just means you'll take it seriously. And my yin/yang spot that was in no way yin or yang really, truly DID need to come off. Because now I won't die anytime soon. And the Tongginator will have me as a momma for a long time to come. And the husband won't wallow. And we can adopt once more from China.

Praise the Lord. Hallelujah. Amen.

42 comments:

Kim K. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your post is a great reminder for all of us who have a love/hate relationship with the sun and our skin.

I'll be anxious to follow your journey to Tongginator. The day our daughter finally became a big sister, was pure magic. Hugs.

Happy Monday!

Norah said...

I'm glad all is well and life can go on again. And ouch, how many stitches?

Alyson & Ford said...

Looks painful! I started reading with the... oh-oh... bad news, then was smiling by the end. Glad all is well!

Happy Three Word Sunday!
Alyzabeth's Mommy

bbmomof2boys said...

ouch! Come on TM - quit your whinning! What's a couple of stitches?

Funny about hubby almost fainting! Big T is like kinda like that except its a kid throwing up that will make him turn white!

Gad the results came back negative.

Hugs,
Carla

Tonggu Grammy said...

Whining every once in awhile is OK. Well, maybe not for the whole month, but it's over and all is well so you're done with the whining for at least another month. TD WILL REPORT ALL GRIEVANCES TO TONGGU GRAMMY! Love you!

jen@odbt said...

Ouch! I'm planning to make an appointment with a dermatologist for a full body check. My husband would be of no help either. He needed a gurney during our son's ER visit. He admits he's a wimp when it came to hospitals, blood etc. He definitely would not have made it during this procedure. Glad everything is ok

Polar Bear said...

I am sure glad everything turned out fine in the end.

I am sure it was scary. I would have fretted just the same. We are so close now, anything out of the ordinary makes me nervous.

Hope the stitches come out soon! :o)

redmaryjanes said...

Those are some mondo stitches! I am glad that everything went well. It is scary to go through. I found a lump this year, all is fine, but it was a scary time.

Lisa (Briana's Mom) said...

Ouch! I'm so, so glad you are ok. And I'm glad TD didn't faint!

Doug almost fainted on me once. He had to insert an 1.5 inch needle in my backside one evening during our fertility treatments. He did the job - but then he fell to his knees. Poor guy. What a trooper.

Cavatica said...

Phew. You are an awesome story-teller.

Kerry said...

So happy that your proceedure went well and that you are cancer free and can put this behind you. Such a stressful thing to go through. Hugs to you and hubby can stop worring too.

I can only imagine all that was running through your mind! Hugs. Now enjoy the remainder of the summer with your sweet girl.

Johnny said...

Happy for your healthy prognosis.

Weird, tho. Looks like a bellybutton to me.

Jboo said...

Whew!! Happy that it came off and you are and will be fine! Sorry about the Hub -- hope he's feeling better too! :)

Janet

mama d said...

Oh, whew! You know how we feel about sunblock in this house ...

Dawn said...

Whew! I'm glad I knew going into this post (thanks to your email) that the story was going to have a happy ending.

Isn't it amazing that we can fret and worry more over something by NOT doing something than if we just DID it???

Praising God for a good report!

(PS - I've got a passer-outer hubby, too! LOL)

KiT said...

Glad you're fine. Thanks for sharing the story and advice. I'm the worst procrastinator when it comes to health things (for myself), so this is a good reminder to be alert and act fast.

Myrnie said...

Oh how scary! No, you didn't over-react at all. I'm so glad everything was OK in the end!

Sharie said...

I HATE skin cancer - I lost a someone I grew up with to it when she was in her early 20's. Needless to say I am over zealous and preachy about sunscreen.

So glad you are well - and that the husband didn't end up with stitches in his head from passing out:)

Suzy said...

And the Lord's people rejoiced! So glad you're ok, and yes, it's ok to worry about your health if it makes you do something about it.

Rhonda said...

Yup, I'm with Johnny...it *does* look like a belly button...and you're an innie.

Glad everything turned out well!

Annie said...

Oh my goodness! So glad you ok! Not a good place for stitches - ouch!! I read this as I am suffering from a sunburn. My hubby is no longer in charge of sunscreen!! Very glad that you are ok!!!

Holly said...

Owwwww!
I love who you are. Over-reacting or not. You are just awesome!
(and a little, okay a lot funny!)
I am SO thrilled to hear that everything came back okay!!
I know what you mean about wondering about issues that could prevent you from bringing your child home! whew!
Like we need any more stress when we're in the adopting process anyway, huh?
So what does the Tongginator think of your battle wound?

Wade's World said...

We think the exact same way! I had a spot removed a couple of months ago and it was torture waiting for the biopsy results to come back. I'm glad that everything was fine. Better safe than sorry!!

Magi said...

It's impossible to overreact when it's something like this. I'm glad it ended up not being serious.

Mahmee said...

Melanoma, biscuit cutters, blood spurts....all things to be validly "over-reacting" to in my book! Yeesh. Glad it's outta there! Your post cracked me up because well, you're funny and....because I whined (and whined and whined some more) all weekend over my cholesterol meds news. I think I was truly convinced for at least 36 hours that I could drop dead of a heart attack at any moment. Fortunately after all of these years, Daddylicious knows to just nod and grunt in acceptance of whatever I'm whining about. Resistance is futile. :-)
M.

Patricia/NYC said...

OUCH!! But soooooo HAPPY to hear all is well!!

Seriously, you should publish this...great message re: the health of our skin...& written in a very entertaining way!

Echoing "Praise the Lord. Hallelujah. Amen."!!!

Carla said...

So very glad it was not skin cancer!

and...OUCH that looks like it hurts. A LOT!

M3 said...

Gah, that is one huge hole. Feeling a little faint myself...

SO glad everything is ok, and thanks for the reminder that I need to get my butt in there and get checked. Sigh...

alece said...

so glad everything turned out okay. God is faithful.

Special K said...

Eewww...
But thank goodness you're okay.
That's good to hear. :)

Andrea said...

I went last year for my first skin check and will continue it every year. My boys get huffy when I tell them to wear sunscreen, but it's important! Glad you are well!

The Gang's Momma said...

Ugh. I'm so sorry. For all of it. But thanks for the delightful retelling. Nice to know that our daddy isn't the only one weak in the knees over copious amounts of blood. Our OB directed him to "fall away from the delivery table" if he thought he was gonna faint during #1's delivery. :)

I go for skin checks 2x a year - complete and utter humiliation that hopefully will allow me to raise my babies to adulthood and cuddle their babies.

Heather of the EO said...

Oh lady, I'm so glad you're OK. And I'm so glad that you tell such a great story (about pretty much anything)

Peace,
Heather

a little leprechaun said...

So glad everything came out ok! Please explain why it takes a week for the test results to come back??? I had an abnormal pap, that resulted in a biopsy. Waiting for the test results, which also took a week+, I bought a pair of shoes. They were pink and white. Thought it was kind of symbolic, right??

Hope your week is going well!!

Marla said...

Holy moly, that is scary stuff! I totally need to get checked myself, especially now that we're spending so much more time outdoors.

I had to giggle at Tonggu Daddy though, my guy is the SAME way. He's nearly passed out at several things I've had done so we've learned to park him across the room if needles are going to be within a few feet of me.

Yucko @ the stitches, I'd rather break a bone than have to get one stitch. Seriously, can't.stand.them. Hope you get those suckers out soon. Take care, TM!

Aunt LoLo said...

Hallelujah, indeed!! (Please tell me that isn't YOUR back...I mean, it's a nice back and all...but I get all YICKY when I see wounds. Heh...my first year in college, I thought I was going to be a nurse. *snort*)
(Oh, and you're right - those stitches are in an AWFUL spot to allow any movement. Ugh.)

SO glad you are well, Mr. YinYang is banished, Miss T. has her TM...and next time, definitely warn the dr. about the gushing thing. Or at least warn TD!!

Misty said...

i'm so glad to hear the biopsy went well (did you see my big fat greek wedding? well, that's how i just said bip-bopsy in my head!!!) i'm catching up on lots of old posts, so if i bombard your inbox, sorry!!

Sherri said...

That looks kind of like a spider crawling out of your back! I'm glad you are ok...cancer sucks, as we both know :)

Anne said...

I hear that when men turn 40 they can't handle blood. Is that true?

Debz said...

Wasn't sure where you were taking us on this post, glad it has a happy ending-or-beginning.

I had a good laugh at myself just now. When I was doing my post or something on my blog the other day I seen the picture of your stitches as a thumbnail on my sidebar and I couldn't quite make it out,I didn't come over to investigate.....I was convinced it was stitches in a belly button and wasn't the least bit interested in looking any closer. :oO LOL Gave me chills.

OK so I want to make a to do list on my blog and would like to cross tasks off as I go..How the heck do I draw a line threw the ones that are done??? I see you doing it all the time and I can't figure it out!

Ps. Hope you heal quickly.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Glad to see all is fine... I have had to have one or two remember and the doctor would say he was an expert at Cross Stitch... though I have something on my neck that needs to come off... it isn't drastic but still... I know it is there... hugs to ya

mommy24treasures said...

oh I am so so thankful it was nothing.