About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Just The Way They Are

This past Saturday the husband and I played at Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous because the husband, through his work connections at The Borg, somehow garnered two free tickets to the best concert in town this summer. Since this is SO not our every day life, we actually went shopping to purchase clothes suitable to wear to an event as high class as the one we attended.

Because, you know, I usually walk around in stained capris, plain jeans or yoga pants. Ahem.

So... what exactly does one wear to an event with your husband's boss' boss that includes a party bus driving through downtown D.C. so that you can tailgate in a gravel parking lot before walking one block to a baseball stadium to attend an outdoor music concert in an over-the-top fancy corporate suite? Yeah, I didn't have a clue either, but I came up with a cute little tank toppy shirt and a long, twirly skirt.

I ended up looking like a hippie amid a crowd of Frat Boys, but whatever - the husband said I looked cute anyways. You'll have to take his word for it, though, cuz I totally forgot to take a picture of myself (or should I say HE forgot to take a picture?). I did, however, remember to take a picture of the gravel parking lot tailgating. Because that was kind of funny, y'all.

tailgating where we maybe possibly weren't supposed to

After about an hour of tailgating, we headed over to the corporate suite for more partying before the concert even began. Wasn't it smart of everyone to load up on liquor before listening to two of the most popular performers in pop history? Yes, y'all, go ahead and hate me now. I saw Billy Joel and Elton John in concert. Yes, I did. And I must say that it was really wonderful, but I feel bad that you weren't with me.

(I really do.)

When Billy Joel and Elton John first walked out on stage, I started counting the minutes until Sir Elton had his first hissy fit. Because, even though none of us has actually met the man, we ALL know what he's like. And, as expected, I didn't have long to wait. He stormed off the stage within the first 15 minutes while yelling a few choice curses words because of some technical difficulties.

Sir Elton John and Billy Joel, before the hissy fit

Actually, to be fair, Sir Elton hung around on stage for quite some time while the crew tried to fix said issues. How long, y'all ask? Well, Billy Joel improvised a couple of songs, including Yankee Doodle and Battle Hymn of the Republic. Joel even threw off his coat and ran to help the technicians laying on the floor, under Sir Elton's piano, trying to fix the sustain pedal. When that didn't work, Billy Joel joked, "wanna trade pianos?"

And that's when the hissy fit happened. Because - you know - Sir Elton is Sir Elton... kinda like me in the mornings. Our little group hardly noticed the delay, though, because we just headed inside to eat and drink more.

quite obviously, some drunk person took this photo... because
I would never forget to switch my camera from manual to
automatic focus.
.. and where did all of the food go anyways?

After that little bit of chaos, they changed up the format of their regular Face2Face show, having Billy Joel perform first. Which was totally alright with me because, while the rest of the crowd in our suite seemed more familiar with Sir Elton's songs, I - being YOUNGER - knew more of Billy Joel's songs.

I'm just saying...

It felt amazing to hear the crowd sing along with most of the songs that night. I mean, think about it, how many Elton and Joel songs do you know by heart? Quite a lot, I'd venture to say. And sing them, we did. We were really loud, y'all, especially since I think the baseball stadium was more crowded for that one concert than for all of this season's baseball games combined.

(Did y'all even know D.C. has a baseball team now? No? That's probably because they stink.)

I enjoyed every minute of the concert, as did every member of our group. Although some of us enjoyed the night a little more than others.

thankfully, this IS his wife

Billy Joel outdid himself, performing such favorites as Allentown, Zanzibar, She's Always a Woman (with some interesting comments about his current/ third divorce), It's Still Rock and Roll to Me and Only the Good Die Young. Sir Elton wowed the crowd with Tiny Dancer, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and a fourteen minute version of Rocket Man, complete with pink flamingos and rainbows shooting across the stage screens.

if I was ever in doubt as to what these lyrics referred to, I now find
the metaphor completely clear... pink flamingos can do that to you


Then they played duets for quite a few songs, including the ever popular Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, You May Be Right, I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues, Candle in the Wind and Piano Man. I really missed hearing Uptown Girl, which they didn't play due to the technical difficulties, but I guess that's alright since I looked more like a hippie than an Uptown Girl anyways.

And I loved 'em just the way they were, hissy fit and all.

26 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

I'm SO jealous!!! I told myself that the only artist that I would PAY whatever price to see perform live would be Billy Joel and I missed his concert when he was here, because hubby was on a business trip!

I'm going to listen to my Billy Joel CD's now... Would ya know it --both J and Z know Piano Man?! I play it in the car sometimes. :)

bbmomof2boys said...

hrmph....so I can not believe you went to that concert and didn't even invite me!! Where are your manners???

I'm not gonna talk to you anymore...well...maybe - if you are lucky!! :)

Hugs,
Carla

jen@odbt said...

I like the way you roll - party bus and corporate suite. Now that is the way to attend a concert. Glad it was fun!

happygeek said...

I must confess that I am not jealous. Because of the whole hearing loss thing and really strict parents I did not grow up listening to them. At all.
I wouldn't have been even able to name one Billy Joel song (yes, indeed, the title geek is rather fitting!)
Glad you had a good night. Loved the pic of the guy "choosing a seat".

planetnomad said...

Sooo totally jealous :) How fun!

Dawn said...

I am SO. JEALOUS. Seriously, I am... but more about Billy Joel than the whole pink flamingo part.

Istn't it fun to have occasions where you have to buy a new outfit and hope you get it right? Men just have no idea the agony that corporate wives go through when we're invited to these things!

Myrnie said...

What a fun night! Isn't it a CHORE to find things to wear? Ugh :) Sounds like you found a sweet outfit.

Sharie said...

My brother-in-law is a HUGE Elton fan - I'm guessing he's seen him in concert close to 100 times - he's been all over the world to see Elton - it totally cracks me up! I'm guessing he was at that show...
I'm glad you and the hubby had a nice night out...too bad the Tongginator didn't get to see your skirt, she would have been in heaven!

Janet said...

Sounds like fun. Next time, I'm coming. I'm serious.

Jillene said...

WOW--you are SO lucky!! I wish I were there with you but instead I was outside doing yard work.

Beach Mama said...

W-A-Y C-O-O-L!

I used to be a huge EJ fan back in my early teens. I'm glad you had a great time. Sounds like your outfit was perfect! Did Miss T help to accessorize the chosen outfit? I'm sure she pulled it together for you.

redmaryjanes said...

I would love to see them. Very cool. And there isn't anything wrong with a hippie girl...I get a little granola myself.

Briana's Mom said...

I'm not jealous. Ok, I'm totally jealous.

My sister saw them when they came to Atlanta. I am so mad at myself that I didn't get tickets. My sis said it was so good. I have to ask her if she got to see a hissy fit like you did.

I'm gonna go pout now...

Special K said...

LOVE Billy Joel! I've seen him twice myself. Sounds like a fabulous time!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

WHat a night!!! I love both Billy Joel and Elton John......so glad that you and the husband got to have a fun night out:)

Oh my word...that picture "some of us enjoyed the night more than others", totally cracked me up!!

discombobulated said...

Did you buy Miss T the butterfly wand that the junk man was selling in front of the gates? It lit up and everything! I was going to get it for her, but I didn't want to carry it around all night, as some of us had to take public transportation that involved being underground with urine smells.

blackbelt said...

That was a really fun post! Even if I hate concerts unless there's a maestro and violins involved. I know, you think it's cuz I'm old. But really? I hated concerts when I was 19.

But srsly, that was a fun/funny post!

Lisa said...

What a night!! Wow...thanks for letting us live a little vicariously through it!! :) AND nothin wrong with capris and yoga pants either....wait? Did I miss the memo...has the Mama uniform changed?? giggle.... :)
Lisa of Destination-taiwan...

Sherri said...

That is so funny you were rockin' the same night as we were. While watching Kiss my friend and I commented that we would love Billy and Elton to come and play next year. I bet that concert was amazing....even with the hissy fit!

prechrswife said...

Very cool!

CC said...

You lucky dog you!!!!!! Love them both. Never seen either of them. Then again, I think I"ve been to 2 concerts. Ever.

Norah said...

That was a cool post. I bow down to you! While I was watching Billy Joel on YouTube, you were watching him for real! I teach piano and am doing Piano Man with one of my students. Can you believe he never heard it!?!? I had to show it to him on YouTube.

a little leprechaun said...

That is so cool!

Husband & I went to see Elton John back in Savannah. I knew we were in trouble when he started his program with, "Tonight I'd like to play some songs you may not be familiar with..." No hissy fits, though...

Jean said...

Wow!! Billy Joel and Elton John!! That is to good to be true! I could have sung all the songs but then again I have a terrible voice and may have ruined the concert!!

I am so glad it was that guys wife- other wise what a bummer...

We are such good friends how could you not have invited me... ;-)

Aunt LoLo said...

Glad you had fun at the concert! That would be so awkward...to watch a grown man have a hissy fit in front of 10,000 people. Hmm.

The Gang's Momma said...

Wow. I like your husband's boss's boss. Can he be my boss too? Sheesh, we don't get so many perks with The Boss working for a not-for-profit. Course, it is one that saves thousands of lives every year and helps heal hundreds of sicknesses a day. But it's a trade-off I guess.

:)

Glad your night was fun. Glad that guy grabbed the right tushie. Glad EJ had fits. What would a live show of EJ be without fits?

Mostly glad you got a great night out with the hubs. We all need that once in a while :)