About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Parenting Blogs Add to Technorati Favorites
Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Charlie Brown Band-Aids

or why Monday did not go well, but DID go well...

Yesterday afternoon I took the Tongginator to the doctor for her wellness/ school physical visit. I spent some time debating the whole four vaccines at once versus two now and two in three weeks, but the Tongginator glared at me and said, "I am NOT coming back. Let's get it all over with." So we did...


My poor little gal received four shots - one in each limb, gave a urine sample and suffered through a horrendous blood draw. Just so you know, the Tongginator does NOT have good veins. She does, however, have a fan club. Four nurses stopped in to say hello. One extra doctor. And the receptionist beamed at the Tongginator when we walked through the door, then announced, "I saved the last pink balloon for you."

They know my gal there. Oh yes, they do.

I think she is infamous because, when she was about twenty months old, she escaped my clutches during a routine weigh-in, ran through the entire doctor's office, weaving in and out of the waiting room and reception area, all the while waving her hands in the air, chanting one word over and over. And over.

"Naked! Naked! Naked! Naked!"

(Did I happen to mention that she only wore her diaper during this little streaking episode? Because she did.)

They love my gal at this doctor's office. And we've been through so much with them. They saw us through the whole fighting the failure to thrive diagnosis. They fought for us to receive Early Intervention within a few weeks of arriving home. They supervised the food charting and the dietitian hovering. They helped me as I sobbed while helped the Tongginator survive many catheterizations. And they walked us through the melamine testing this past fall.

Before the doctor began the exam, he sat at his desk for a minute, glancing from me to her playing on the floor to the charts lying before him. Then he shook his head in wonderment and said, "I know you feel very, very blessed. And you are. But what a blessing you have been to her as well. Look at how far she has come! She went from not even being in the 15th percentile for height and WAY below for weight on the CHINESE charts to reaching the 50th percentile in both height and weight on the AMERICAN charts. She was developmentally half her age at her 12 month exam. They tell me that she screamed whenever someone touched her. And now look at her. Just look at her! She is an amazing little girl."

Why, yes, doctor... yes, she is. Which is why her momma spoiled her yesterday with a cotton candy ice cream cone (with! sprinkles!) and her favorite Chinese food for dinner last night.

Oh, and a couple of Charlie Brown Band-Aids.

36 comments:

Aunt LoLo said...

I love it. You two (three!) are a blessing to EACHOTHER. That's what families do.

Oh, and I can totally imagine Miss T. doing a little snakey streaky action. *snort*

bbmomof2boys said...

Love the "Naked! Naked!". Little T loves to be naked. When she takes her bath she'll run through the house shaking her little bottom at her daddy until he says "Nakey girl!". Even though TM wasn't quite naked I'm sure in her mind she was. What a hoot that must have been!!

Our doctor was also pleased with Little T's progress. She's finally on the charts gaining 7 poundsin a year! She weighs 27 lbs (10%)and is 35 inches (4%) Talking is another issue but she is trying so that's something.

Go TM go!!

Hugs,
Carla

Sherri said...

Isn't it so nice to have the "big picture" pointed out to you occasionally? When you're living in the moment with sensory issues, the name changes, and general behavior issues, it's nice to take a look back and see just how far you've come!

You've done a good job, TM! I hope you got an ice cream for yourself, too!

Jboo said...

What an incredible girl! Wow -- she has really come a long way. Such a relief to get that physical stuff over with. On to shopping for school supplies, right? :)

Janet

jen@odbt said...

What a great doctor's office, except for the shots. It's nice to hear that as parents, we're doing a great job too.

QingLu Mama said...

Oh, she deserves twenty Charlie Brown Band-aids, brave little girl!!! It sure sounds like you (and Dad of course)have done an amazing job with your Tonggu Baby!
I am still laughing about her streaking through the office. I can totally see why she has a fan club, I can imagine she has a wonderful personality!
Our 5 yr check-up is tomorrow...cringe.

Justin Narin said...

There is nothing happier then watching our angels growing up strong and healthy... am really glad and happy for you 3.


Freedom Debt Relief

Colleen said...

I love it!!! You are all so blessed to have found each other.
Thank you for the encouraging words the other day : )

Wade's World said...

What a sweet post. I don't even know y'all in real life, and I'm also in her fan club. She seems like quite a girl!

redmaryjanes said...

You all are blessed with each other as every child mother and father should be.
I do think you are an amazing Momma.

Lisa said...

Ohhhhh....I remember that from this time last year! We got through it by promising Lauren it was her last set until we prepare for Middle School....all true, unless we need that dreaded flu shot! Ack!

So sorry your sweet girl had to endure, but a fan club sure must help! :) And a "naked" history to boot...gotta love that!

This year L delcared proudly that her school prep SO DID NOT include shots.....and was so happy to say, "that's right babe!"

Ice cream cones in the summer = pure bliss.....good for you guys!
Lisa

Girly Girl Mommy said...

What a great doctor and office you have! Blessed all around!!

Our T is dreading the 5 year going into K shots. Our girlies are a year apart, so P went through it last summer and just yesterday freaked her sister out (lots of hysterical crying)about her impending appointment. We have vein issues too for that lovely blood draw. But then that's it until age 12.

PS- the Girly Girls LOVE cotton Candy ice cream too!! But band aids here must be Barbie.
~Kelly

Heather of the EO said...

Did you yell naked that time with the sitter and the laundry incident? pffft...

And really, what an amazing road you guys have traveled. Yes! Look at her! Just look at her!

Lesa said...

Oh Wow!! That is a lot to be done on a little girl... Reminds me of when we took Wendy for her first Doctors appointment years ago. She can't stand doctors because of that. Not looking forward to school checkup.

The Source said...

I think it's incredibly unfair that little kids have to get all those pokes and shots just to go to school. Meanies!! Sounds like she handled it quite well, though.

I haven't known you since day one, but just from reading here, it seems that she has made a wonderful amount of progress...I mean to me just learning to understand a whole other lanugage would be mind blowing, much less all the other things involved. You're ALL good for each other! You have a terrific family.

prechrswife said...

The streaking episode is hilarious! I'm glad you have a wonderful doctor's office. We do, too, but I just found out last week that our favorite doctor is moving out of state. :-(

Wanda said...

Oh, you got me in tears here. Such a lovely message there.

Debz said...

Too cute, I can just picture her running with her arms flailing in the air and you holding her clothes with on hand on your hip and the other one up in the air surrendering with eyes rolling and tooth clenched grin. :o)

Glad to hear she was a trooper and got-er-done in one bang. That's a spicy girl you got there! And a very healthy one to boot!

Krista ~ Bits and pieces said...

What an amazing blessing she is ~

Tricia said...

I am glad you got such good news at the doctor. I looked up your blog b/c of a comment on Autumn's. I don't know what for exactly, but I will be praying. God bless.

The Byrd's Nest said...

She is very brave.....and Lottie and Emma LOVE to be nakie! (Not good for missionary children though...LOL)

Must teach them modesty one day....

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Other than the shots, that was one great doctor visit!! Look how far she has come.......a long way!! I bet you were skipping when you left that appt!!

As I read about her "streaking" episode.......the first thing that ran through my mind...."like mother, like daughter" I couldn't help but think of your laundry room story.....


Lisa

Janet said...

How sweet! I love that they all know you so well! She is doing so well! And she TOTALLY deserved the ice cream and chinese food. TOTALLY. :-)

Sharie said...

Oh how I remember that visit well! Amelia had 5 shots at her 4 year visit! YIKES!!!!
Why do they do that to kids?
Amelia gets a similar reception at our GP. In fact at MY last visit I spent much of MY visit talking about Amelia and how they hadn't seen her in way too long - and guess what, oh yeah she got sick and was in a week later:(

I'm glad us mom's know that band aids, hugs and kisses fix everything right now. Think that will work when they are 16?

Briana's Mom said...

There is no doubt you were meant to be together. :)

Our band-aid of choice is Dora.

Annie said...

Love the naked, naked, naked, naked!!! Too funny! It seems to me that Mommie and daughter help each other to grow!!! Wonderful!!!

Ann
www.cornbreadandchopsticks.blogspot.com

blackbelt said...

Oh. My heart. I know. I know.

Gail said...

Oh my...the wretched pre-Kindergarten physical. I remember that one well with Grace. I had no idea you were a 'regular' at the pediatrician...not fun. I have the 'naked, naked, naked' visual in my head and am laughing!

And you're an amazing mom and a natural at it....so happy we've 'met' through blogging!

mommy24treasures said...

Awww....

Patty O. said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Yay Tongginator! And Yay Tonggu Momma! You guys have come so far and totally deserve the spoiling!

epin said...

What a wonderful post! And it gives me such hope for my Tonggu baby, as we (especially the baby) are working hard with early intervention and trying to get her weight on the chart (any of them!).

psychohist said...

One of the things I've noticed from browsing Chinese adoption blogs is how much happier and healthier the children look a few years after adoption. I'm sure the orphanages do the best they can, but having real parents - and parents who really care about their kids - clearly helps tremendously. Congratulations!

Kayce said...

A blessing for sure....all of you are to each other. I say go get another ice cream!!

The Gang's Momma said...

I love it when others see how amazing our kids are :) And with all you guys have been through (Now, I totally want to sit and read all your archives. I'll have to do a rain dance and pray for rain for the next forty days to catch up!)there's NO SUCH THING as spoiling your girl. Lavish her and revel in it. You all deserve it :)

jennifer said...

Love that! Poor baby, glad she got it over with!!

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

God is so good...NOW I am getting up from the computer and getting something done....right?????maybe??