About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, June 15, 2009

Tapping Toes, Picking Nose?

So... the question of the day is... did the Tongginator pick her nose on stage during Saturday's dance recital? And the answer is... thankfully, no.

Excuse me while I prostrate myself on the ground, thanking Jesus and all of His angels.

She did garner a few laughs, however, simply by acting like... well... the Tongginator. During her ballet performance, nothing she did stood out, although she was a member of one of the two "young" classes (ages 3 to 5). And the other young class contained about eight little gals, while her class only had three gals performing - the Tongginator, flanked by identical twin girls.


Yes, it was a twin sandwich, which made for a VERY cute performance. Then again, I'm her momma, so perhaps I'm a bit biased. I DID ask Tonggu Grammy if their dance was the most adorable and of course she said yes; then again, something tells me she's even MORE biased.

The Tongginator's tap performance... now THAT was a different story. The Tongginator garnered quite a few laughs, primarily because she morphed into Cha Cha Girl. In a big way.

The Tongginator, tapping away, center stage... I took this photo on
the day
of the dress rehearsal, though, since they did not allow
any flash photography on the actual recital day... my photos taken
during the recital are Quite Pathetically Blurry and Dark

Photos don't do her wiggling hips justice and, unfortunately, we weren't allowed to videotape any part of the dance recital. (Don't get me started on the Emotional Blackmail involved with dance recital video monopolies.) I'm so sorry I can't share with you Cha Cha Girl's hip swivel, but suffice it to say that the Tongginator's demands were met.

I didn't tell y'all last week, but during the dress rehearsal on Tuesday, the Tongginator's class was the first to go on stage. I'm guessing about 50 people sat scattered throughout the audience, mostly other dancers and their moms. When the Tongginator and the twins finished their ballet dance, the music stopped and their teacher began sharing notes with the lighting crew. The Tongginator, completely disillusioned, called out in a booming voice, "Why aren't you clapping? You're SUPPOSED to clap!!!"

When the loud laughter from the "audience" died away, her teacher assured her that people would clap on Saturday. And they did. The clapped even harder (and laughed quite loudly) when the Tongginator walked out during the curtain call. Because Cha Cha Girl appeared in lieu of the Tongginator... strutting her stuff, wiggling her hips and bowing incessantly.

(Do y'all remember the bowing soloist who sang just before the Von Trapp family's performance in the singing competition during The Sound of Music? Ahem.)


The Tongginator bowed so often and so deeply, her hat fell off. A hat firmly secured to her head with no less than six bobby pins. And no matter what you say, I refuse to believe that said hat fell off because her head grew too big. Although maybe possibly.

35 comments:

bbmomof2boys said...

see? It's momments like that that I want to share with my dh but alas...he still says no to dance! At least I can get her into gymnastics.

Did you do her hair? Good job!! hehe...

I think Little T is going to be sassy just like the Tongginator. When she takes her bath she insists on running out to "shake her butt" at her daddy!

Hugs,
Carla

happygeek said...

This story made my day.
She cracks me up.

Michelle said...

Oh how stinkin' CUTE!! Love it, love it. Glad she's not shy or anything :)

The Source said...

Oh my. Well, you're in for it now, Mom. She has discovered the spotlight and the joy of an adoring audience.

Tell Miss Tongginator that she looks absolutely stunning in her Cha Cha Girl costume and we think, from the photos, that she did a terrific job! You should put her in cheerleading. The really expensive, competitive kind. That would be RIGHT up her alley!

Cheri said...

She is too stinking cute for her own good! I love it!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Oh she's a jewel!
And she demanded applause? Bravo, girly! I don't think you'll need to ever worry too much about her. She's going to take care of herself quite well!

Buckeroomama said...

She's staying very true to Tongginator form. :)

All that bowing and coming out from behind the curtain to take further bows? J did that, too, on his very first Summer Concert!

Aunt LoLo said...

HEHEHEHEHE...oh, dear mama. You've got your hands full!!!

jen@odbt said...

You describe it so well, I feel like I was there. The last pic with her hat on the ground is priceless. Thanks for the smile this morning.

Jboo said...

Laughing out loud here with your description! What an incredibly sweet and funny girl! Bet her performance alone made the whole recital better and the DVD worth it!

Janet

Dawn said...

As a mom of a competitive cheerleader, I can tell you that I concur with The Source... T definitely has the personality needed for this sport!

Kat dances at school, too, and we can also relate to the "no video taping because you have to BUY our very overpriced professional version." Right.

Blessings upon your week!

Kim said...

Thanks for the mornings chuckle! Too funny!

Tonggu Grammy said...

Wish you had all been there. It was a riot! She garnered more applause and laughs than anyone else and the show lasted 1 1/2 hours. She actually knew what she was supposed to do, too!!!! But again, I am as TM said, possibly biased.

Lauren's Nana said...

I have learned to put my coffee cup down before reading your posts which is a good thing:).
Miss T always comes through for a laugh. She truly loves the spotlight and I might say deserves it from what I can tell.
She is a hoot.

discombobulated said...

hilarious. I bet she was the cutest.

Marla said...

HAHAHA! You gotta love that personality. I'm smiling just thinking about how cute she must have been up there. I think she definitely has a future on stage. :)

Briana's Mom said...

I think she is headed to either Broadway or Hollywood. Either way, she'll make a splash! ;)

Suzy said...

I am so glad you share these stories with us, such a big personality really needs a bigger stage than could have been present for the actual performance. Please let her know we're applauding down here in Arkansas, we're calling the Hogs on her behalf (it's like a standing ovation but MUCH louder and it has a chant), and can't stop smiling thinking about her performance. You should totally start selling her autographs...

Ohilda said...

She is such a hoot! What a blessing, Mama!

Patty O. said...

I LOVE it!!! That's too funny how she scolded the "audience" for not applauding. I'm with her. Clapping should be mandatory, even with dress rehearsals.

And the bowing? So, so funny. Your girl is such a gem! I know I have said it before, but I so love her spunk.

CC said...

You go Tongginator girl!!! And you apparently captured every single one of those bows???? ;)

Dorsey said...

That's just good stuff! hehe

Wanda said...

I am laughing my head off! I was just thinking about that bowing little girl from S of M when you said it (and I almost peed my pants).

Seriouly though - you had to be so proud. The ballet looks like is was wonderful. I LOVE their costumes!

Janet said...

My children would NEVER embarrass me on stage. ;-)

Sharie said...

OMG if only Amelia was in her class, she could have picked her hat up for her! How cute is little Cha Cha?!! I think it's in her spirit to steal the show:)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Oh my word...that is so stinkin cute!! She never lets us down....I so wish you could have gotten those bows and hip swivels on video....but I know the drama surrounding the video issues during a recital all too well!! She looked adorable!

Lisa

Stonefox said...

You crack me up. Thank God for small miracle, eh!? :)

DawnS said...

Totally cracking up here at your description. Mostly because I can relate to the whole experience. Can you just imaging the dance party we would have with about 5 or 6 of these spicy girls??

The Gypsy Mama said...

Oh how familiar all that extravagant bowing looks! Glad that it turned out to be a great time!

mumma to many said...

I laughed and smiled while reading this and thought of all the joy T brings us all!
Thanks for sharing!
Hugs Ruth in NZ

Laura L. said...

Wow, thanks for the smile. I can just visualize all of that. Too fun. Ah, the stuff of memories for you guys. Awesome!

Kayce said...

oh man I can not wait to have a little one in dance!!!! I think you may have a future actress on your hands! LOL

By the way...I LOVE the outfits!!

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness!! That Tongginator just keeps us smiling!! I just can't get the picture of her slapping the ground doing the booty dance at your neighborhood block party. Did she pull out that move? he he. That visual will stick in my head forever. It is just classic. :)

Dita said...

These photos are BEYOND priceless!

dance teacher said...

Very Cute!.. well done all involved